How do I bolt radiator to my 48 DeSoto?

marcapra

The bolt holes don't line up on my 48 DeSoto because the holes on the radiator support are about an inch wider than the holes in my radiator flange.  What am I missing here?  

P1020970.JPG

P1020971.JPG

P1020973.JPG

P1020974.JPG

9 hours ago, marcapra said:

The bolt holes don't line up on my 48 DeSoto because the holes on the radiator support are about an inch wider than the holes in my radiator flange.  What am I missing here?  

P1020970.JPG

P1020971.JPG

P1020973.JPG

P1020974.JPG

As asked: did you remove it from the car originally or did you replace it?

• Like 1

The radiator and the radiator support are the exact ones I removed from the car some 40 years ago.  Everyone is saying maybe the support spread out a little.  Hard to see that happening with a cross support, but that's the best idea I've heard yet, so I will check it out.  Also, although I had the radiator boiled out and pressure checked and a new neck soldered on, it is not re-cored.  Thanks.  Marc.

• Like 1

I checked the support and there's no way it could spread out 1 5/8" with that cross bar riveted in place.  Here are my measurements.  Center hole to center hole on the support at the top is 23 5/8".   Center hole to center hole on the radiator flange is 22".  That's a 1 5/8" difference!  This is a read head scratcher!  Maybe there's some kind of missing bracket or something?  I might have to resort to making some adapter brackets to put the radiator in?  

radiator.jpg

radiator 2.jpg

I think the radiator bolts to the engine side of the support, not inside the channel as you show, but that won't fix your problem.  Being it "is what it is" as they say, I would make an adapter strip. 

5 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

I can see three possibilities.

1. Your radiator shrunk.

2. Your radiator support grew.

3. Your shop gave you the wrong radiator..................Bob

After much discussion on the P-15-D-24 site, we determined that unfortunately Bob's answer number 3 is right!  I gave this radiator to a shop back in 1991 in Bakersfield.  They boiled it out and pressure checked it.  I gave them the exactly correct 48 DeSoto radiator, but they must have given me back a Plymouth radiator which is an inch and a half narrower.  I didn't find out their mistake until now!  I know this because the 48 DeSoto radiator is part no. 972210.  The radiator I have is 1254623.  Does anyone know what car 1254623 fits.  I suspect it fits a Plymouth, but not sure of the year or model.  If you know please tell me.  Thanks.

• Thanks 1

My friend Mike said I should try to take it back.  I can just picture it.  "Uh, about 30 years ago I brought you a DeSoto radiator and I just found out you gave me a Plymouth? radiator.  I think this is the same shop. If you don't have my DeSoto radiator, can you give me a thousand dollars so I can try to buy the correct radiator, and I'll give you back your radiator?"  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, marcapra said:

My friend Mike said I should try to take it back.  I can just picture it.  "Uh, about 30 years ago I brought you a DeSoto radiator and I just found out you gave me a Plymouth? radiator.  I think this is the same shop. If you don't have my DeSoto radiator, can you give me a thousand dollars so I can try to buy the correct radiator, and I'll give you back your radiator?"  

Yeah, chances are slim to nil that would work. Your best bet may be to fab a couple of adapter side pieces. The smaller Plymouth radiator will likely have enough cooling capacity. Sorry for your loss...........Bob

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Joe Cocuzza said:

I may have a 6 cyl Chrysler radiator.

I will take a look.

Joe

Hi Joe,  yes if you have one let me know quick even if it needs re-coring.  The part number is 972210.  marcapra@msn.com   Marc.

Edited by marcapra (see edit history)

On 5/26/2022 at 8:16 AM, TerryB said:

My book does not list 1254623, closest is 1254751 for 46-48 Dodge.  A parts book from the 1950s might have more information.

I don't think my current radiator is from the 50s.  I think they changed the radiator design around 49 or 50 to have a thinner top.  My radiator has the thick top like the 40s cars.  I'm finiding out that it's not uncommon to have an odd part number on a radiator.  Manufacturers changed numbers over time I guess, so they don't always jive with the Parts Books.  

23 minutes ago, marcapra said:

I don't think my current radiator is from the 50s.  I think they changed the radiator design around 49 or 50 to have a thinner top.  My radiator has the thick top like the 40s cars.  I'm finiding out that it's not uncommon to have an odd part number on a radiator.  Manufacturers changed numbers over time I guess, so they don't always jive with the Parts Books.  

They did indeed renumber parts where the new number replaced the old number because they found it fit other newer applications.  I checked that part of my parts book with no luck. My book has light truck parts list too and no matchups there either.  The other oddity is they sold replacement tanks so that could be part of the issue, to differentiate between a tank and the complete radiator, the tank got its own number.

My parts book was prepared by Glenn Mitchell for collision parts ID help.  An official MoPar parts book might have more info on your part number.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

4 hours ago, marcapra said:

Hi Joe,  yes if you have one let me know quick even if it needs re-coring.  The part number is 972210.  marcapra@msn.com   Marc.

I took a quick look today and I found a Plymouth one.

I will take another look in my other sheds. I did part out a 47 Chrysler a few years ago and I remember having a radiator. 
I will let you know ASAP if I come across it.

Joe

• Like 1

I'm wondering if a 46-48 Plymouth or Dodge radiator would also fit a pre-war Plymouth or Dodge, say 41-42.  I'm trying to figure out what my smaller radiator would fit so I can sell it, since it doesn't fit my DeSoto.  

Hollanders says 48 DeSoto interchangeable with 

Chrysler six 42-48

De Soto 42-48 

Canadian De Soto 42-47

lots of notes during the early 50s about swapping straps to make something fit. 
including: using 42-48 Chevrolet radiator, cut 2” off the Plymouth straps, solder them to Chevrolet radiator and install in the Plymouth.  

It seems that they were looking at the basic core size and figuring that swapping the straps was a quick and easy modification.  

• Like 1

Does Plymouth and Dodge have radiators that could be swapped?  I know they have different part numbers, but just checking.  No one seems to have the part number that is on my smaller radiator.  It just doesn't fit my DeSoto.  

I was looking through the Hollanders in an attempt to find the application for the number on your radiator.  It did not appear anywhere.

I was just looking at a couple of radiators that I have.

The one I thought might be 48 Chrysler (but apparently not) has the number 1754873 embossed on the top tank..

What say you to this one TerryB ?

Its not looking to bad if someone could use it.