Brake vacuum line connection 1963 Electra

Electra63

Hello I'm  the new proud owner of a 63 Electra 

The previous owner spent money to get the brake system done but I noticed something that I need advice with. 

The vacuum line that runs from the top of the brake module has a tee that goes to the vacuum reservoir.  The other branch goes to a hose and then to a solid line that connects to an elbow under the front of the air filter.  I have the factory repair manual and the diagram goes that far but stops.  

So the hose attached to the elbow right now has a plug in the end and is not attached to anything. I believe it should probably connect to the intake somewhere to provide the vacuum to the brake system ? 

Can someone tell me where it should connect ?  A photo would be great. 

Second question.  I wonder why it was disconnected by the garage that worked on the brakes ?  I just wonder if the brake cylinder assembly is not working or has a vacuum leak.  It looks original...and the brakes work great ... (!?)

Any advice appreciated

Thanks for reading

16531458476489109679704535905451.jpg.76db2582b7a285c30281f8a8fae96c59.jpgpic added 

Edited by Electra63
Clarification (see edit history)

post a picture of your intake manifold on your car with air cleaner off, I believe there should be a brass fitting, (that may have broken off while being worked on at some time)  on intake manifold that line should be connected to.

Bob

Thanks TexRiv.  I can see what appears to be a tee or straight fitting in front of the carb. I see what seems to be a 1-2" solid nipple connected to that silver colored fitting on the left side of the pic but can't tell if there's anything connected to it 

PS. One day my engine bay will be clean like yours ! 

Screenshot_20220521-110403_Adblock Browser.jpg

Edited by Electra63 (see edit history)

it could be if they broke one of those brass fittings the original one could have another fitting end (so it had 2 openings for metal lines) and the only one they could get was with i fitting that a line could attach to, I have seen the double fitting I mentioned on other Buick Nailhead intakes, look at Dorman products # 490-276.1 for the single one.

Bob

94AA7446-156D-4BA2-845C-B1C7F3403D9A.jpeg

Edited by NailheadBob
Added photo (see edit history)

43 minutes ago, NailheadBob said:

it could be if they broke one of those brass fittings the original one could have another fitting end (so it had 2 openings for metal lines) and the only one they could get was with i fitting that a line could attach to, I have seen the double fitting I mentioned on other Buick Nailhead intakes, look at Dorman products # 490-276.1 for the single one.

Bob

94AA7446-156D-4BA2-845C-B1C7F3403D9A.jpeg

Thanks Bob. Yeah I'm coming to the conclusion that there is a vacuum port missing.  I know the previous owner also rebuilt or exchanged the carb so perhaps the replacement is missing a port or there was a tee at the back where the brass elbow is right now.   The only vacuum connections I see are the vacuum advance for distributor and that brass elbow on the back which is connected via a hose to the valve cover - I assume for emissions/scavenging.   Looks like there could be a check valve fitted into the top of the valve cover where the hose connects (see pic)16531593962227360969026516055674.jpg.59ea70bbf4c13979527587e2a1fef56a.jpg.  I believe the brake vacuum line should also have a check valve in it ?

Oh. Duh. The penny just dropped....what I thought was just an elbow in front of the carb is actually a tee which is tapped into the intake manifold.   So the hose that is connected to that tee and is currently plugged is not required for the brake circuit. 

It must have served another purpose...perhaps for the AC or auxiliary system. 

Thanks for the replies. Shame I didn't figure it out earlier. At least it helped me to get to know my engine bay ...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Electra63 said:

Thanks Bob. Yeah I'm coming to the conclusion that there is a vacuum port missing.  I know the previous owner also rebuilt or exchanged the carb so perhaps the replacement is missing a port or there was a tee at the back where the brass elbow is right now.   The only vacuum connections I see are the vacuum advance for distributor and that brass elbow on the back which is connected via a hose to the valve cover - I assume for emissions/scavenging.   Looks like there could be a check valve fitted into the top of the valve cover where the hose connects (see pic)16531593962227360969026516055674.jpg.59ea70bbf4c13979527587e2a1fef56a.jpg.  I believe the brake vacuum line should also have a check valve in it ?

that is the PCV valve your finger is pointed to.

Bob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Electra63 said:

That's your engine's PCV valve. Appears mounted and hose routed correctly.

It is a check valve of sorts. Vacuum from a port on the carb baseplate lifts it open and scavenges blowby gases from the crankcase. The gases are then reburned to reduce emissions.

See if you can pull it out of its rubber grommet, then shake it. If it rattles it should be functioning.

Also check the breather cap on the opposite valve cover and make sure it's clean. It can be washed in clean kerosene. Expect to see a lot of black goo and deposits flush out of it.

Most GM carlines have some type of check valve in vacuum power brake vacuum source lines. It's usually on the power brake vacuum booster but sometimes inline.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NailheadBob said:

Great looking car you won't regret your purchase, looking forward to your updates.

Bob

Thanks. I plan to sort out an issue with the brake lamp circuit and then attack the AC system before summer kicks in. 

After that it'll be taking care of the rust spots and the chrome followed by the interior.  The door panels need re-covering and perhaps the seats.  Head liner is in good condition.  

Should keep me out of mischief for a while. Ha ha