Thank you for allowing me to join this forum, this is my first post.  I joined because I am interested in vintage/classic/antique automobilia, specifically printed.  My favorite piece I want to share is my "souvenir" poster commemorating the 1906 Grand Prix.

The 1906 Grand Prix held June 26-27 was a special race because it is considered the world's first Grand Prix.  In addition, it is also the first organized race held on Circuit de la Sarthe, which would later become more famously known as the 24 Heures du Mans (24 Hours of Le Mans).  Additionally, the L'Automobile Club de France (Automobile Club of France), which hosted this race, led to eventual creation of the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA).

It is important to note that this poster is technically a souvenir, by definition, which differs from what modern western society considers as a "souvenir" (i.e. this poster is not a kitch tourist object).  This poster was only issued to then-members of L'Automobile Club de France (Automobile Club of France).  It was not sold or offered any other way to anyone else.  Each poster was hand inscribed to each ACF member and hand-signed by the President, Vice-President and Secretary General of the ACF.

My poster was issued to the Prefect (similar to a Governor) of la Sarthe.  Unfortunately the current governing body of the ACF informed me that they have no records to indicate the number of members at the time of the race, so it is unknown how many of these posters were created and issued to the membership body.

I purchased this poster from a dealer in London, England that specialized in WWI posters.  The selling dealer acquired it as part of a cache of antique military posters, this Grand Prix poster mixed in with them - I was fortunate to be at the right place at the right time.  As further luck would have it, around the time I purchased this poster I also stumbled across and subsequently purchased a post card advertising the then-upcoming race that includes a map of the course.  The post card was issued and actually mailed (the stamp and postmark are well-preserved) around the time of the race.

Upon receiving the poster I had it authenticated and restored by a prominent paper conservator.  It was then mounted to full museum specification including, fittingly, a frame imported from France constructed of French hardwood adorned with hand-laid silver leaf.

Anyway, this is the crown jewel in my modest collection.  I figure some of you may find interest in it as well.  Cheers.

Grand Prix 1.jpg

Grand Prix 3.jpg

Edited by bstaneland (see edit history)
  • Like 9

That's a fabulous piece, and of course having the history behind it adds considerably to the enjoyment of ownership and sharing it.  I also love the history and stories behind the objects.  When I did a presentation for the AACA Annual Convention in Philadelphia a few years ago I actually covered this event with some early images from postcards.  It was 1905 that the ACF took over the former Gordon Bennett races.  That 1905 event really established a lot of "firsts" for competitive motoring events.  It was the first event to be officially "sponsored" by Michelin Tires.  It was also the first time an automobile race was held on a circuitous route, with four laps of a circuit through the Auvergne area of France.  It was the first time such an event both started and finishing at the same place - Michelin in Clarmont Ferrand.  Michelin also supplied tires to a few of the race cars marking yet another first - corporate involvement in support of specific entries. 

There were so many fantastic early events from city-to-city and I'm fortunate to have a few items from these events. 

Don't hesitate to share photos of other items from your collection and also the stories that go with the items.

Terry

Nerwspaper article.jpg

• Like 3

Not related but still one of my favorite "wall-hangers" is this great poster advertising an early Des Moines Iowa automobile show. We might need a separate thread for things to hang on the wall that are automobile related.

Terry

20160114_184837.jpg

• Like 4