'61 Mercury Monterey convertible restored $29.9k, dealer, Denver, not mine

I'm a '61 full size Mercury fan, so I had to post this car. I think it's very pretty, though it looks like the restoration - or at least parts of it - may not be too recent. Engine isn't in the factory colors, I don't think, and I think it has a NOM.

Other negatives: Worldwide presents their cars nicely, but I wish their eBay ads had larger clearer pics. And a pic with the top up. Also, a lot of waivers and CYA in their eBay ads, and not much elaboration about the car itself. Not enough even to post here...just a pic of the inspection report in the ad.

I really like white or white-ish cars from the early sixties with red interiors...it's a nice look, and this one is no exception. I have no idea if the price is realistic or not, so I can't comment on that.  A nice clean car, and not very common.

1961 Mercury Monterey | eBay

1961-mercury-monterey.jpg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I'm good at guessing, but I've no idea what is "NOM."

Non-original motor?

New Owner's Manual?

New on the market?

Non-original motor. The acronym was in the ad, so that's my presumption, anyway.

That’s a nice looking car. I know nothing about that dealership. Is it a consignment arrangement? They certainly don’t provide much info about the car and you are right about the disclaimers and CYA.

I love the color combination. White over red is one of my favorites. I do see some pics with the top up.

These Mercurys are uncommon. I would lose the skirts and replace the fruit jar master cylinder with a dual circuit one, but other than that it looks like you can just get in and enjoy it. 

• Like 1

Interesting ad.

Reminds me of an outfit I corresponded with in California that specialized in selling sight-unseen cars; read their customer reviews and you won't need a cup of coffee to stay awake.

Sharp car, dump the skirts.

Edited by suchan
Brevity (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes, I also dislike skirts on a lot of sixties cars, especially when they're chromed (which many from the era seem to be.) I get the impression, however, that the factory or dealers may have offered those chrome/stainless skirts.

Here's a pic that I keep on my desktop and it looks to be trimmed the same way. But I'm with you that I'd take them off if I owned this eBay car. I've even decided to leave the skirts off of the '65 Thunderbird I'm refurbishing...and most '65 T-Birds are equipped with them.

70306bd5ecced9bf67627a745a9d3b7b--hot-wheels-mercury.jpg

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 1