Shifter Hole - Solved

Brtele

1 hour ago, Brtele said:

Trying to cross of some more items.

I have the following hole in my shifter section.

Would the following R270 part from Clark's take care of this?

Thanks,

image.png.08c63523087333cc28a0481c61cd8c0e.png

IMG_4359.jpg

If Clark's doesn't have them I have a handful in stock.

Tom Mooney

Greetings Brtele.           Ive been searching for years for an NOS lens or a even a nice used one, with no luck. Unfortunately Clarks no longer stocks them. There was some recent talk on the forum about a reproduction being considered by another source that apparently went nowhere. There may be used ones available but If you want a quality piece be mindful. Ive acquired several over the years that all turned out to be as bad as mine, & have tried several techniques to restore them to no avail. The problem: the hard plastic black plate can be polished to a like new condition, but the soft plastic letters deteriorate over time & usually crumbles when disturbed. Despite numerous efforts the lettering has defied attempts at amateur reproduction as yet. Hopefully reintroducing the subject may produce some more helpful info.        Drew

18 hours ago, RivNut said:

Feel to see if this still a good part number for them.  I thought someone tried as a year or so ago and found that it had been discountued. I hope that I'm wrong.

No dice on Clark's still carrying R270 Shifter Dust Shield or R272 Shifter Lens.  I even called to confirm.  No dice boys and girls.  Dang.

Edited by Brtele (see edit history)

Shortly after I posted that I would contact the guys about the shifter lenses, I got this email reply.  My thoughts are at this time: I hope to get the prototypes in time to bring them to Branson.

Here's the reply that I received:

Hi Ed,

I know it has been some time (long time) since you have sent the lenses and housings to us, I apologize for how long this has been taking. In fact 2 weeks ago I finally had a spare moment to take a look into these and I did up a few drawings with all the measurements.
I will be sending the drawings to my drafter to create a CAD file to then be sent to the mfg. that makes our lenses. I will have them make a couple prototypes whether they are a layover (translucent sticker) or a new polycarbonate lens that will fit into place of the stock lens. I'll have to see how pricey they will be. 

So yes, we still have the items that you sent us. I have them right next to me on my desk with 3 other projects. 😅 

With that said, I hope that I haven't bothered you or anyones' much appreciated patience. I am working very diligently on trying to complete these for you and send your housings and lenses back to you asap.

Kind Regards,
Brandon
  • Thanks 1

RivNut!     I'd like to give you a big Bro-hug for your efforts. For my '65 that shift indicator lens is literally the proverbial "missing piece of the puzzle". if I am ever lucky enough to acquire one I may have to find another Riv to tinker on.   Drew

As I said, I don’t know which 64 lense I sent to Brandon.  IF, and that’s a big IF, I sent one of each for a 64 to Brandon and I get a choice as to which one to be reproduced, which would you (plural) chose? Or if one is more expensive, do you chose based on price?

Good day.

I was curious as to what the difference was in the '64 lens' you guys were on about, so I searched and I found the thread below. Tom's Christmas build had no separation lines between the letters and the subsequent reply in that thread (also noted below) seems to imply that the lens with separation lines would likely be a rare piece possibly in very early production runs.

Assuming they made the change sometime in the first three months of production, I would guess the likelihood the lens Ed sent for reproduction having no lines would be greater than him having one with the lines. But it's just a guess. My '64 (blt. 04D) has no lines, and it seems fine but if they do come available, (w/ or w/o lines) I would likely get one for future interior upgrades. 

Later,

• Like 1

• Brtele changed the title to Shifter Hole - Solved

With some parts from Tom Mooney, I now no longer have to worry about accidentally dropping my keys into the abyss created by the existing broken shifter dust cover.  Also purchased a drivers door jamb light switch from Tom M.  Both parts solved problems for me and I'm now 2 steps closer to never having a 100% perfectly completed car.

Side note - Replacing the shifter dust cover provided a good instructional on how the center console is assembled/disassembled.  Don't unscrew the (4) screws (yellow arrow in pic) holding the grey shifter piece from the the wood piece until you have the entire shifter "wood" piece removed from the console...unless you prefer to fish the screw tabs from the "abyss".

IMG_4389.jpg

InkedIMG_4388 (002)_LI.jpg

• Like 1