1965 Riviera trunk lid acoustic insulation options?

DShoes

Hi All,

I'm looking to add some form of acoustic insulation to my '65 trunk lid, which rattles more than I'd like due to the subwoofer placement. Its got brand new weather stripping, so I know that's not the culprit. I'm curious what folks recommend that is both functional and pleasing to the eye? What I'm finding online seems functional - but not much to look at. I'm also curious if anyone has ever added insulation similar to what's available for the engine bay hood to the space between the interior and exterior trunk lid panels? I'd love to keep the underside of the trunk lid clean, if that's a option. Thanks.

I'd contact a competent automotive sound system installer. They will know what all is available for your particular problem. Aside from adding general sound deadening, you could also have a situation where the inner and outer trunk lid skins come in contact with each other. They are spot welded so there will be gaps that will vibrate with a sub. Due to the design of the inner skin, these gaps aren't accessible and that can make it very challenging to eliminate hence suggestion to contact a professional.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

As an adjunct to your sound/vibration problem you might consider getting a device that measures dB. With a before and after instrument that measures sound level you can eliminate guess work. I have the instrument but I cannot remember the name of the thing.

Turbinator

Greetings,Shoes.     My '65 trunk lid doesn't rattle, but then I don't have a subwoofer. But I went out to have a look at it to refresh my memory & possibly offer some ideas. I knew the problem was due to the inner & outer panels being loosely attached to each other & was thinking some type of caulking or sealer could be squished into the "cracks" around each of the depressed areas under the lid. Today, upon closer inspection I discovered that someone from the body shop had pushed thin stainless washers into the cracks in several places. They went unnoticed by me for at least 22 yrs (since the Riv was last painted(the washers having no paint on them)) & they seem to have done the trick, because I figure they knew there must have been a problem if they were used, right? Of course if Fisher had put seam sealer around the entire openings there wouldn't be a problem.  Maybe you need to turn up the bass & crawl in there with a sixpack, flashlight, & some shims. with any luck it might be only one or two spots that are resonating.   Another idea I wonder if anyone has tried is injecting expanding foam insulation into the large spaces behind the braces? Not sure what the expansion strength of that stuff is. It could tighten everything up, or I suppose it could blow it all  apart. If not, that might cure the problem. then one would have to figure out how to trim the excess or plug the openings for appearance.

Anyone got an old lid to experiment on?   good luck, Drew

I appreciate all the good thoughts gentlemen. I went with the double-whammy of sticking down 0.8mm dense acoustic dampening material (similar to Dynamat) and wrapped as far into the crevices where the inner and outer panels meet as possible. Then I cut-to-fit a large carpet remnant roll that matches the interior fawn color. I'm about 85% complete but the sound improvement is already +300%. Rattle is gone and the bass is tighter and more acoustically pleasing overall. I also love the look. Next up is to order some extra vinyl from Clark's Corvair to wrap the subwoofer enclosure. I'll try to update with some photos here soon.

• 2 months later...

Gungeey, I’m all for that thread! Amp is right behind the back seat where the spare tire used to be. I re-did the back shelf and put 2 x 9” oval mids from Morel there. Both doors got custom enclosures for some 6” Morels. Tweeter (also Morel) replaced the OEM speaker under the dash. Retrosound face allows for Bluetooth, etc. Incredibly happy with the outcome acoustically and visually.

A311D540-2791-4F24-93DA-F1C9012A28BC.jpeg

7C014850-A137-410A-817F-B013A92B4012.jpeg

E8A93209-C97B-48BB-B34C-042E48E59BDE.jpeg

62F32B28-F4F1-4C5E-AFFE-5C658C6B0970.jpeg

Edited by DShoes
Photos posting upside down? (see edit history)
  • Like 1