Towing a car on jack stands.

6 minutes ago, oldford said:

there is battery on the trailer bed

The car looks like it was inoperable a very long time, rotors very rusty, and with a battery there, both are probably going to a scrapyard.  Scrapyards can damage trailer fenders when they use long forks on a payloader to get the car off in a hurry. 

..and if the scrapyard uses a claw to grab the roof, or punch the forks through the side windows, you end up with tons of glass shards on the trailer deck boards and in the board gaps

some guys who scrap cars regularly, put 4 junk wheels/tires under the car's tires to make fork unloading quicker.

• Like 3

Had your chance, Xander.  You should have simply pulled along side the tow vehicle and asked the driver.  You will never get a straight answer on this forum...

• Haha 5

There's also a piece of 4x4 wood on the front part of the trailer, probably the piece they used to put on the ground under the jack. Loose battery and chunk of wood that could easily slip off and become a serious road hazard, I'll not comment further on whoever loaded this and is driving the tow vehicle.

16 minutes ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Had your chance, Xander.  You should have simply pulled along side the tow vehicle and asked the driver.  You will never get a straight answer on this forum...

I am here visiting Idaho, asking questions in this State will get you cut off from fry sauce. Keep asking questions around here and the finger pointing starts. Refusing to stop asking questions, and it is Hee Haw reruns for little fella. Then you are banished from the potato kingdom for good. And they watch when you return.😬 potatoes do have eyes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The scary thing is that someone thought this was a good idea....and proceeded to spend the effort to act on that thought.

It's difficult to explain things that people think, but remember, and I mean this with all due respect...half of the drivers on the road are below average drivers and intelligence, by definition of "average".  One has to take that into account when driving and seeing such things.

I've also noticed that 90% of people just aren't that smart.  I'm glad I'm in the other 15%.....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, F&J said:

The car looks like it was inoperable a very long time, rotors very rusty,

Heck, my cars can get rusty rotors over a long weekend! If I don't drive one for a month they look just like those.😉

• Haha 1

Theres also what looks like a piece of 2x material behind the fender, laying there loosely as well as the lashing strap extended the length of the trailer bed! It looks like the front tie down goes a bit high to be attached to anything underneath the car i.e. frame, steering components, axle etc. Almost like it goes to the grill or over the hood!!!  This would have been a good case study of 'What Not To Do'.

12 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Heck, my cars can get rusty rotors over a long weekend!

There is a car lot about 10 miles from me that gets in some interesting cars a lot of dealers won't risk. When they get one in that catches my eye I stop and say "Randy, I noticed that car was showing some rust on the rotors. Want me to clean them up for you?" "I'll get the key and a plate." He knows I just want to drive it but that sounds more businesslike.

Ended up in a couple of sales though.

• Like 1

When I hauled my 48 DeSoto over the Tehachapis, I chained the rear axle to the trailer and cinched down straps over the front tires.  the straps popped off the first time I hit a bump.  I never knew it and proceeded over the Tehachapis with the DeSoto going forward and back repeatedly with only the chain holding it.  My brother who was behind me told me this after we got to the destination!  Yikes!!!  He was supposed to beep if anything went wrong.  

Coming from experience in owning tow trucks and flat-beds; I see several no-no's in that pic.

It has been discussed, already about the battery and wooden block, just laying on the bed of the trailer.  That is just sloppy and dangerous.

The jack stands are interesting. 

Maybe they loaded the car with a forklift; and set the car down on the stands. Maybe   But Why?

We can't see the other side of the car.  Was there damage to the wheels or suspension, again, maybe. Thus causing the car not to sit level, or whatever.

It is much better to have the tires on the bed of the truck or trailer; to use the tires as friction to grip the bed surface. As it is now, the top of the jack stands are on the steel of the car frame and steel of the jack stands. Giving him less grip, rather than have the tires on the trailed bed.

Give him credit for having a good tie-down strap.

He is getting away with it, in the pic; but if the truck and trailer were to get in an accident; the car may try to slide off the jack stands.  But only if one of the straps broke or got loose.

Certainly, not the way we tow.

intimeold   

1 minute ago, Restorer32 said:

Many years ago Dad towed his 16 ft boat 100 miles to the Chesapeake Bay behind his '63 Caddy.  When he got there he opened the trunk to get his fishing gear and found the nut for the tow ball laying in the trunk.

Good thing that he had sufficient trailer tongue weight to hold the ball down on the hitch. 

On 5/15/2022 at 5:03 PM, 1937hd45 said:

Remember the old days when they junked cars with rusted bodies? Now the wiring craps out and they are junk. 

That must be a southern thing... In the rust belt the wiring holds our cars together!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/15/2022 at 5:03 PM, 1937hd45 said:

Remember the old days when they junked cars with rusted bodies? Now the wiring craps out and they are junk. 

This is very true with VW's and most" German engineered" cars. I can testify 1st hand, unfortunately.