Unfortunate Almost Getting SCAMMED on this Forum

Hello Everyone,

I almost fell for a "SCAM" and it started with a PM from a new member Cizu telling to reach out to a person on a chassis that I am looking for named Jared Steven. after multiple emails and text messages Jared continued telling me to send him $320.00 for a 1930 Series 40 rolling frame and that "included" shipping from NC to OR, and when I asked about the shipping cost and why it was so low he stated he would ship it FEDX and the shipping for a full frame was only $180.00. the photos that he sent to me of the frame were another members frame that they were selling years ago. Being that I am former law enforcement and worked as an SIU investigator for an insurance company, I decided to do a web search on this person Jared Steven and the web has all kinds of information about this same type of scenario on other forums about a new member named Cioa, Nino, or Cizu reaching out and having them contact a "Jared Steven" or other names who would then have them send him monies through pay pal or Zelle for a product and they never got their purchase and never got a refund. I then did some research on Cizu on this forum and all his posts are from other members comments and he is using others postings as his and "copy & paste" another's comment as his, many in the same day and all in the month of April.(I have attached a screen shot of just one example of the copy and a forum site link that has the same "persons" doing the same thing in April and May on a fishing site).  I am a new member on this forum and I appreciate all the communication and knowledge and would like to think that this is a Great group of individuals that are here to help each other out.  I wanted to alert the members of AAC as Cizu is responding to a lot of members on AACA and who knows who he has scammed already?  

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/846720-to-those-of-you-that-responded-to-the-pms-this-nino-guy-sent-you/

image.png.774585b41a087c8b45715718d0d8b0b4.png

image.png.385f30d4f379a819064d1a5f30177abc.png

• Thanks 2

We have occasionally noticed newcomers merely

parroting phrases that legitimate forum-goers have posted.

The moderators, when notified, take those down.

I suppose those newcomers are merely trying to 

build up a falsely "legitimate" record so they can

send private messages.

We notify each other of scammers whenever we

notice them.  This is definitely an alert forum, and

thank you for your own notice.  You have potentially

saved others.

• Like 2

in reply to badgoats concerns on scams.

I was looking for parts for my 1928 chrysler convertible.

I got a message from cizu 

to email a guy who he says has a car same as mine in good condition he is breaking for parts

I did not follow this up as i think it is a scam.  I might be wrong but better to be safe than sorry

If you identify a scammer or a spammer on the forum, if you report the individual to the moderators via the report button on their post or private messages, the moderator will be able to quickly ban them from the forum. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, 31 LaSalle said:

in reply to badgoats concerns on scams.

I was looking for parts for my 1928 chrysler convertible.

I got a message from cizu 

to email a guy who he says has a car same as mine in good condition he is breaking for parts

I did not follow this up as i think it is a scam.  I might be wrong but better to be safe than sorry

Mr. LaSalle, please don't merely think it is a scam.

It IS a scam.

Someone unknown tells you of a car in good condition--

exactly what you need--being broken up for parts.

That's a sure sign:  That a good car is being dismantled.

Other signs:  No one can come see the item for sale, because

the seller is crippled, or in the military, or on an offshore

oil platform!  And the item is already crated up for shipping.

The scammers think they are evading justice, but God's

justice always works!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Got a call in response to a want ad here.  Caller said he had three of what  I was looking for which immediately raised a red flag as what I need is for all practical purposes made of "unobtanium".  I played along and asked for pictures and that was the last I heard from the scammer.  There are plenty of them out there but most of them are easily identified by their own ignorance.  Ask questions,  request pictures and  be very suspicious of any newcomers  to the forum.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I have seen a lot of comments about scammers and how the potential scammee handles the situation. My policy it to just drop it. That is how the scammer makes a living. They are professionals. I always remember one of Detective Colombo's comments when I encounter a situation. It covers my position quite well.

"He sounds just too clever for us. What I mean is, you know, cops, we're not the brightest guys in the world. Of course, we got one thing going for us: we're professionals. I mean, you take our friend here, the murderer. He's very smart, but he's an amateur. I mean, he's got just one time to learn. Just one. And with us, well, with us, it's - it's a business. You see, we do this a hundred times a year. I'll tell ya, Doc. That's a lot of practice."

Stay in your league. Warn but don't engage.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I must say:  Announcing that a certain suspicious

user is a scammer afoot is vital.  It is not a waste of forum

space or people's time.  Evil would love to be ignored

so it can do its work unannounced or unseen;  but

alert forum members expose them.

We always have people with less experience on this

forum.  We protect ourselves and our fellow hobbyists.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Announcing that a certain suspicious user is a scammer afoot is vital.

Starting a new thread about a scammer might get the attention of a few forum members, but they can do nothing to stop the scammer. 

It is better to immediately report a scammer to a moderator who can stop him from taking advantage of other forum members. If you see something suspicious, or you think someone is trying to scam you, notify a moderator and let them investigate it. There is a "Report" button at the bottom of every forum post and every private message just for that purpose. The best way to stop scams is to use common sense when dealing with people you don't know and report any suspicious activity to a moderator.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I must say:  Announcing that a certain suspicious

user is a scammer afoot is vital.  It is not a waste of forum

space or people's time.  Evil would love to be ignored

so it can do its work unannounced or unseen;  but

alert forum members expose them.

We always have people with less experience on this

forum.  We protect ourselves and our fellow hobbyists.

i disagree

if your house gets robbed you’re first move is to call the authorities.  Complaining to your neighbors serves no purpose. 

report scammers and spammers to the moderators FIRST so that can be removed before they do more damage 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

I disagree

if your house gets robbed you’re first move is to call the authorities.  Complaining to your neighbors serves no purpose. 

Peter, thank you for your protective work.  I too 

thought of the burglar analogy.

Complaining to neighbors serves no purpose, I agree;

but notifying your neighbors that there has been

criminal activity lately makes the neighborhood more alert

than ever.  Evil hates to be exposed to light.  That's why

criminals do their work under false names, false premises,

lies, and darkness.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
5 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Peter, thank you for your protective work.  I too 

thought of the burglar analogy.

Complaining to neighbors serves no purpose, I agree;

but notifying your neighbors that there has been

criminal activity lately makes the neighborhood more alert

than ever.  Evil hates to be exposed to light.  That's why

criminals do their work under false names, false premises,

lies, and darkness.

It case of the original poster.  They didn’t report.  And his notice to others would not have been needed had they.  

• Thanks 1

Peter, 

While I understand and appreciate your response to my post as it is much like a work email for frivolous information that is sent to "ALL" in the company even if you do not need or wish for that information. I did send it to an Administrator in a PM before I made my post and did not receive a response from them. and as a new member of this forum I was not aware of the steps and procedures of this platform to report some one.  ( I do now)  I did take my initiative to post to ALL as the person that was contacting me about sending them funds was getting quite aggressive and calling me asking for the funds to be transferred.  this was well after my investigation and knowledge of the scam as I was making sure that I was not just calling some one out incorrectly.  Every day is a learning day.........

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, BadGoat said:

Peter, 

While I understand and appreciate your response to my post as it is much like a work email for frivolous information that is sent to "ALL" in the company even if you do not need or wish for that information. I did send it to an Administrator in a PM before I made my post and did not receive a response from them. and as a new member of this forum I was not aware of the steps and procedures of this platform to report some one.  ( I do now)  I did take my initiative to post to ALL as the person that was contacting me about sending them funds was getting quite aggressive and calling me asking for the funds to be transferred.  this was well after my investigation and knowledge of the scam as I was making sure that I was not just calling some one out incorrectly.  Every day is a learning day.........

I dont see your report.