Power steering hose replacement

PaulMuzz

hello I have a hose that is worn due to it being right up against the suspension. In the picture it’s the hose on the left. Can someone advise on the part I need and whether this is a pretty simple replacement?   Thanks!

9B0C6006-57BD-43E2-B8A0-333CCE969FC6.jpeg

3F599182-6782-4A98-9651-3B2B4C5C0319.jpeg

Paul,

I'm not a 1st gen guy but that does not look like an original hose or routing for the hose. Hopefully one of the 1st gen chaps will confirm. The pressure hose is available new, RockAuto, Napa etc. Yes it should be a pretty simple job. Maybe a 2 on a scale of 1-10. But as we old car buffs know, we must use the word "simple" cautiously as sometimes the simplest job can turn into a can of worms....more so if a previous owner already had their hands on it. 😬

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, JZRIV said:

...we must use the word "simple" cautiously as sometimes the simplest job can turn into a can of worms....more so if a previous owner already had their hands on it. 😬

I was never lucky enough to have only worms. Seems like everyone who was ever there before me always left the entire contents of a septic tank!💩

POS: Previous Owner's Stamp. 

Lordy I got tired of fixing it.

I've found that a crowsfoot type flare nut wrench with a suitable extension and ratchet (or breaker bar if needed)makes this job easier.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/13/2022 at 11:16 AM, tenugent said:

On my 63 both steering hookups are metal,side by side.The one your referring to is 8 3/4" long (metal) to steering box.

Ok great. I’ll look for this part then and try to find a place to order this one like rock auto. 

Definitely it’s chafed from the a-arm. Not sure why the hose has the metal piece that is shaped that way that caused the problem but looks like the new hose is mostly rubber so should be easy to keep it away from the engine. I didn’t see anything in the manual on replacing the hose itself. Is it as simple as loosening both ends and popping in the new one and topping off the fluid?

10 hours ago, PaulMuzz said:

I didn’t see anything in the manual on replacing the hose itself. Is it as simple as loosening both ends and popping in the new one and topping off the fluid?

Yes.

After installing new hose, with engine running, turn steering wheel from left full turn to right full turn a few times to get all of the air out of the system. Then top up (engine not running).

On 5/21/2022 at 12:51 AM, PaulMuzz said:

Excellent thank you for the tips gentleman! The part has been shipped so should be replacing it this week once I pick up some PS fluid as well. 

Just FYI, pretty sure it’s trans fluid in these systems. Read the cap

👍

• Like 2

Either fluid will work but on a system this old I think I'd use ATF.

60s GM service and owners' manuals usually said something to effect of "use power steering fluid P/N xxxxxx. If less than a pint is required automatic transmission fluid P/N xxxxxx may be used."

• Like 2