Kline Kar returns to Richmond

Tim Crowder

The 1918 Kline Kar project that began for me in 1987 has been completed by White Post Restoration and it is back in the Virginia Museum of History and Culture in Richmond. Beautiful job by the staff at White Post.

What began as a project for me in 1987.E856B859-C41E-4D4E-8118-40830B8CA9C1.jpeg.b79d69bf1985fd61729bc7ec1243bf8b.jpegand when I had taken the work as far as I could.38B94DE3-7A65-449F-B188-F53DD123C845.jpeg.2b2aa1c855c269eccf19bc671e518740.jpegThe car looks great and I’m sure we’ll be hearing about it for some time. Pictures of the finished car can be seen on the White Post Restoration webpage.

• Like 4

For anyone interested in the real history of the Kline Motor Car Company and the saga of this particular car, I would recommend the Dec.1992-Jan. 1993 issue of Richmond Surroundings magazine. There is a great article by Harry Kollatz, Jr. that offers a history lesson of Kline with a lot of photos and information that I collaborated with him to draft.

The Kline is beautiful and it is where I always intended for it to be. Like myself, the Museum is not interested in car show judging standards but instead is presenting a piece of Virginia history to Virginians. Happily, the car is not part of a private collection where it would only come out for trophies but is available for anyone that is interested.

The craftsmen at White Post have done a terrific job finishing the car. While my ten year effort might not have reached show standards because the Museum purchased the car when I was mid way in my work, that was never my focus. I think everyone involved with this project should share in its success. From Dave Garriques, who first bought the car in the 1970’s and stored it until my ten year effort to rebuild all of the wood and rebuild the body and all of the mechanical components began, to the completion by White Post. This is not a “restored by” project but instead was a team effort beginning in 1987. The Kline Kar looks amazing and everyone should be proud.

I think it’s a great piece of Richmond history which luckily had you to save it, and then incredible for it to have a restoration lavished on it which few mortals could afford (a line stolen from my best friend here in Virginia, Greg Cone).

Hadit not been for your efforts, Mother Nature would have taken it back…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2