Jump to content

1996 Firebird coupe


Recommended Posts

For Sale: 1996 Pontiac Firebird, 3.8L V-6, 3800 Performance Package, automatic, A/C, P/S, P/B, P/Antenna, red with graphite interior, one Texas owner since new (special order from local dealership), original window sticker, needs engine repair (antifreeze leaks into crankcase - probable intake gasket failure), engine was overhauled 40,000 miles ago, needs paint and right-side rocker panel repair (not rusted but dented), and headliner, 160K miles, $2200, contact David at dtemple105@sbcglobal.net or (903) 753-0555 (leave voice mail and I will return call).

IMG_20220511_163228.jpg

IMG_20220511_163314.jpg

IMG_20220511_163348.jpg

IMG_20220511_163410.jpg

IMG_20220511_163502.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Man, the list of approved Full Classics is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Better act quick Matt or you might miss your chance to score this 160KMI car with a blown engine that needs paint.  Might be your only chance to buy such a rare car no one wants. ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/12/2022 at 3:23 AM, wayne sheldon said:

I know most people in the world today are completely clueless (about almost everything!). But do they ever even wonder what "CCCA eligible" means?

This is AACA... not CCCA... It passes the at-least-25-years-old qualification for AACA. This car is now considered an antique. If the ad did not meet AACA criteria, then it would have been removed by now. The CCCA determines what qualifies as a classic. Generation four Firebirds are not classics. The implication that I am "clueless" is not based upon any facts, but rather your opinion of the car I listed for sale. You have a right to dislike 1996 Firebirds and to even believe I am clueless if you prefer, but you really should have some facts upon which to base an opinion or judgment. I am the author of five books, including "Motorama - GM's Legendary Show Cars" and "The Cars of Harley Earl." Both books won "gold" at the International Automotive Media Competition. My Firebird may be a restoration project for someone or a source of parts for the restoration of a Trans Am or Formula. If I could afford to do so, I would restore the car and drive it the rest of my life. It was my first new car and I HATE having to sell it. Now you can form an opinion based upon some facts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/11/2022 at 11:28 PM, auburnseeker said:

Better act quick Matt or you might miss your chance to score this 160KMI car with a blown engine that needs paint.  Might be your only chance to buy such a rare car no one wants. ;) 

You are free to dislike 1996 Firebirds. If I could afford to do so, I would restore the car and drive it the rest of my life. It was my first new car and I HATE having to sell it. So, there is at minimum one person who wants it. This car could serve as a restoration project for someone or as a parts car to repair or restore a generation four Formula or Trans Am. There are lots of people who appreciate those cars. This may be the wrong forum to try selling this car, but I thought I would give it a try.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/11/2022 at 6:13 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Man, the list of approved Full Classics is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

This is AACA - not CCCA. My car meets the 25 years or older qualification of AACA. I do not claim it is a classic. In fact, no generation four Firebird/Formula/Trans Am meets CCCA standards for classic status. There are many fans of these gen-4 cars and my car can serve as a restoration or resto-mod project for someone. It can also serve as a parts car for a gen-4 project. Perhaps this is not the right forum for placing an ad for one of these cars, but I never expected any AACA members would be rude about me listing the car for sale here. I was thinking of renewing my membership in AACA, but based upon the comments here I do not think I should bother.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, David Temple said:

This is AACA - not CCCA. My car meets the 25 years or older qualification of AACA. I do not claim it is a classic. In fact, no generation four Firebird/Formula/Trans Am meets CCCA standards for classic status. There are many fans of these gen-4 cars and my car can serve as a restoration or resto-mod project for someone. It can also serve as a parts car for a gen-4 project. Perhaps this is not the right forum for placing an ad for one of these cars, but I never expected any AACA members would be rude about me listing the car for sale here. I was thinking of renewing my membership in AACA, but based upon the comments here I do not think I should bother.

 

Except your post was in the CCCA for sale section. A moderator moved it for you. And since we have been discussing the latest round of CCCA "Approved Classics" and how they're moving downmarket in a significant way, I thought it would be amusing to tie your misplaced car into that conversation. Others got the joke. You did not.

 

If your skin is so thin that a little gentle ribbing hurts too much, it's OK if you leave. You'll be missing out on a great forum with lots of good information, but it's your call. That said, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, I'm confused....

 

Sometimes a moderator moves a thread that was in the wrong section and then it goes completely off the rails when there is no context, I get that, but based on @David Temple's comments I don't think that is what happened here. If this was not originally posted in the CCCA section why are we even talking about the CCCA?

 

EDIT: @Matt Harwood posted while I was typing. Maybe that is what happened? Ads do pop up in the CCCA section pretty regularly that won't generate any interest there, partly because they are off topic, and partly because the group reading CCCA ads is much smaller.

 

EDIT2: @David Temple, @Matt Harwood's original comment is a common sarcastic take on something that has been a highly contentious issue in CCCA circles for decades, for reasons far too lengthy to type here. It probably wasn't aimed at you in any way.

 

@David Temple, I hope you find a good home for it. All the best.

 

 

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My comments were posted when it was in the CCCA Section.  I have no problem standing behind them based on that. 

Many people have a personal connection to a car.  That's good,  and adds value to them.  The harsh reality of actually moving it to market is that your sentimental value is pretty much worth nothing,  unless you can relate it to someone that can see it as you do, but if you can,  then you should become a salesman because you will make a bundle selling dreams (not this car necessarily, but any) to dreamers.  i have a few to send your way if you find that groove, that I would like sold and gladly pay you a commission. 

Project market is a tough place to be when nice examples are priced cheap enough that the work needed to bring one to their level far exceeds the cost of the better example.  That's actually the harsh reality of most cars. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, David Temple said:

This is AACA... not CCCA... It passes the at-least-25-years-old qualification for AACA. This car is now considered an antique. If the ad did not meet AACA criteria, then it would have been removed by now. The CCCA determines what qualifies as a classic. Generation four Firebirds are not classics. The implication that I am "clueless" is not based upon any facts, but rather your opinion of the car I listed for sale. You have a right to dislike 1996 Firebirds and to even believe I am clueless if you prefer, but you really should have some facts upon which to base an opinion or judgment. I am the author of five books, including "Motorama - GM's Legendary Show Cars" and "The Cars of Harley Earl." Both books won "gold" at the International Automotive Media Competition. My Firebird may be a restoration project for someone or a source of parts for the restoration of a Trans Am or Formula. If I could afford to do so, I would restore the car and drive it the rest of my life. It was my first new car and I HATE having to sell it. Now you can form an opinion based upon some facts.

 

READ the heading for the section you poste in!

 

Copy and paste for you;

 

"CCCA - Buy/Sell

CCCA eligible cars and parts only."

 

I have no problem with 1996 Firebirds! Join the club and join the fun! Meet people with similar interests in cars!

 

The AACA makes many sections and subheadings available on their forum for many differing interests in collector cars. Literally dozens of specific interest clubs are represented here! (THANK YOU again AACA!) Would you advertise your Firebird under "Steam Cars"? Does it belong in the model T Ford section?

 

By the way, I have sold all the several cars I wanted to keep for the rest of my life because family NEEDS demanded it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2022 at 7:46 PM, wayne sheldon said:

 

READ the heading for the section you poste in!

 

Copy and paste for you;

 

"CCCA - Buy/Sell

CCCA eligible cars and parts only."

 

I have no problem with 1996 Firebirds! Join the club and join the fun! Meet people with similar interests in cars!

 

The AACA makes many sections and subheadings available on their forum for many differing interests in collector cars. Literally dozens of specific interest clubs are represented here! (THANK YOU again AACA!) Would you advertise your Firebird under "Steam Cars"? Does it belong in the model T Ford section?

 

By the way, I have sold all the several cars I wanted to keep for the rest of my life because family NEEDS demanded it!

Thanks for the clarification. I misread the heading... thought it said Automobiles and Parts for Sale and did not see the other headings like GM,Packard, etc. for sale until today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2022 at 4:52 PM, Matt Harwood said:

 

Except your post was in the CCCA for sale section. A moderator moved it for you. And since we have been discussing the latest round of CCCA "Approved Classics" and how they're moving downmarket in a significant way, I thought it would be amusing to tie your misplaced car into that conversation. Others got the joke. You did not.

 

If your skin is so thin that a little gentle ribbing hurts too much, it's OK if you leave. You'll be missing out on a great forum with lots of good information, but it's your call. That said, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.

I now understand I placed the ad in the wrong section... thought the heading said something like Automobiles and Parts for Sale, but today saw that the forum for cars for sale is broken down into GM, Packard, etc. for sale. No, I didn't get the joke because (1) I put the ad in the wrong section and did not know that until now, and (2) I have not been following the thread on "approved classics" and how they are moving downmarket. (In fact, I have not been reading anything on the AACA forum in a very long time.) Also, I recently looked at ads for cars for sale here and they were not broken down into makes, or in any other way, but rather random (except ordered by date - most recent to oldest). Turns out these ads were under "Not mine" cars for sale and I only discovered this fact just now. So,this is just a case of not seeing how the forum is set up and thus a misplaced ad.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No worries. Most people in the collector car hobbies are pretty decent and forgiving. We hope you can find your way to a better place and afford to keep a car you like and want to enjoy!

Check in occasionally and read some of the discussions when you have a little time to spare. You may find automobile history more interesting than you ever imagined!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...