The build up to Pebble Beach == What are car owners doing today?

1937hd45

Hope to be back for Pebble Beach 2023, but keep thinking about what I'll miss this year. As I type this the show is 103 days away, what are the car owners doing up to shipping the car out? How many years in advance do they know their car will be on the lawn? Is the car "Show Ready" when accepted? Are there chrome shops and upholstery shops working overtime to finish cars. Guess it all depends on organizational skills, but knowing what goes on before the car is loaded would be interesting to know. 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1937hd45 changed the title to The build up to Pebble Beach == What are car owners doing today?

Buy me a drink at the bar.........and I will give you the back room take on the show, and how things operate in the dark. Crown Royal.......😎

• Like 2

Ed is it in the dark because you are drinking that Canadian stuff? If you would switch to a good bourbon rye like Woodford Reserve or Barclays you would see the light!  
dave s 

ps- I have a bottle or two waiting to sample. 

• Haha 4

If PB is the ultimate reason someone restores a car then I am happy about that, but I could never justify the expense to comply with all the rules, regulations, hype, and status/posing for photos that goes along with it. Just not me. I would rather spend the $ on finding and buying a car, using the $ for gasoline to drive it, purchase some automobilia or save it for Hershey - the best car show experience on earth.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I'll always be at Hershey, 52 in a row this year, but Car Week in Carmel is so much fun I'd rather spend the car funds there than on the stalled projects. Great Pre War cars and acceptable (to me) post war cars, getting a car on the lawn just doesn't happen without planning. 

Car week is special, but for me just the Motorsports Reunion once a decade or so. Even that gets closer to the fringes of my budget with the passing years. Pebble , even for a spectator is out of sight. The auctions , while an interesting data point are out of my world by 300 - 400 %. At least at the races there are cars I could actually own. { vintage small bore class }.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Pebble , even for a spectator is out of sight.

I am in complete agreement. Yes it is a fund raiser, yes it is a worthy fund raiser, but for many will not be a remote reality just due to the cost.

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

I am in complete agreement. Yes it is a fund raiser, yes it is a worthy fund raiser, but for many will not be a remote reality just due to the cost.

I'd bet most readers of this forum spend the Pebble Beach admission price on Booz and cigarettes in a 12 month period. 

• Haha 2

I don't know how a thread goes from a question regarding the process of preparing a car for PB, to some people criticizing the venue. It's been thirty one years since the one and only time I showed a car there. The event remains and almost surreal part of my lifelong involvement in the hobby. 

Trying to paint the venue with a broad brush does a disservice to the participants and to the venue itself. It may be an event for the wealthy, but my own, one, time, involvement says that it is available to anyone, under the right circumstances.

Whether we like it or not we all worship at the alter that is Pebble Beach. If there was no PB someone would have to invent a venue like it. Just try to envision what the hobby would be like without it. We all have our preferences when it comes to enjoying our hobby, but few can ignore what Pebble Beach stands for. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I'd bet most readers of this forum spend the Pebble Beach admission price on Booz and cigarettes in a 12 month period. 

Speaking for yourself perhaps, but certainly not me.  I haven't bought a pack of smokes since I was a young, foolish teenager, many, many, many Moons ago.  Now as I'm fast-approaching becoming a senile old man, I spend money on car and bike parts and an occasional bottle of cheap wine for the wife to improve my looks and her temperament.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I don't think I could afford to even be a spectator at Pebble Beach, but it's definitely on the automotive bucket list. 

I would like to know what goes into showing a car. I've never done it, not even at a local level show. Heck, that is on my automotive bucket list...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Nope……..not me……I spend it on booze and cigars in just a few weeks……..live large!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Billy Kingsley said:

I don't think I could afford to even be a spectator at Pebble Beach, but it's definitely on the automotive bucket list. 

I would like to know what goes into showing a car. I've never done it, not even at a local level show. Heck, that is on my automotive bucket list...

Everyone needs a bucket list, and over the years the important things to you need to be checked off and other things added.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Billy Kingsley said:

All three of my main bucket list items were car related. I knocked two of them off the list in 2019, and this exchange has given me an idea for a new thread. 

I checked off one Bucket List item this year (car related), and to be totally honest the 60+ years of magazine coverage, and history were far better than being there. Been there, done that, checked it, need to add another adventure. 

10 hours ago, George K said:

ATTABOY ! 👍

Never wasted a penny……or a dollar……..or a fortune. Been there, done that. Living life with no regrets. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

I think the original question is very relevant. As a car person, seeing what goes on behind the scenes is more interesting than seeing the show. I have no knock against any Concours event, although unless I am invited and taken along for the ride I will never see Pebble Beach. 

As far as bad habits, I dont smoke or drink and surprisingly I dont have any more money in the bank than the guy that does! Maybe I should start!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I don't smoke, or drink heavily, but I do spend a LOT on sandpaper, paint & supplies, etc.  A quart of hi-build primer with a pint of hardener is a little over double what a carton of cigarettes costs in Canada.

Craig

They say the best things in life are free.......and at Pebble, the parking lot for the show is free to walk into........from Tuesday to Saturday, you can see stuff that will blow you away. I spend ALL my time in the lot that I can.......mostly working, and sometimes visiting and kicking tires. Every big collector in the world walks on by.....and they are all very approachable and chatty. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, edinmass said:

They say the best things in life are free.......and at Pebble, the parking lot for the show is free to walk into........from Tuesday to Saturday, you can see stuff that will blow you away. I spend ALL my time in the lot that I can.......mostly working, and sometimes visiting and kicking tires. Every big collector in the world walks on by.....and they are all very approachable and chatty. 

Only one problem there are no free places to stay unless you camp out in a ditch in Salinas.

1 hour ago, George K said:

Only one problem there are no free places to stay unless you camp out in a ditch in Salinas.

Not knowing much on our first year at Pebble Beach we booked a room in Salinas a good hour drive away.

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

I agree, just seeing the lines of transporters is impressive, then they open the lift and unload for the day. 

DSCF4190.JPG

DSCF4189.JPG

DSCF4345.JPG

DSCF4336.JPG

DSCF4343.JPG

• Like 2

Every screw and nut, dab of paint, bend of tube that I do on my cars is done as close as I can imagine to Pebble Beach quality. They won't get there and I am just as happy planning a three day trip to the ACD Museum, arriving on a Tuesday morning when the only other person there might be a docent, already occupied.

Interesting to think of a long lead time to do the kind of work I try to achieve as a standard.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 3:33 PM, Larry Schramm said:

To put that in perspective Jay Leno will be at the Local Ridgefield Playhouse next month and center section seats sell for $435. I'd forget most of the jokes, but have the Pebble Beach photos forever.

Bob 

Although I can appreciate the title of the topic this discussion is happening under from my perspective just to attend ( not to add the cost in for car transport, restoration etc even if it was invited or chosen) 1) cost to get to the event - varies, if you are on the east coast add airplane ticket plus taxi to the airport ( or train ticket, bus ). I will not include cost of food because we all have to eat anyway. ,2) cost of rental car 3) cost to stay someplace within 75 miles of the event. Maybe add in cost of proper attire if you want to mimic the "elite" that have the proper tie, jacket, shoes, after shave, perfume 4) cost of the proper cap, hat, head gear etc.  We all have our own way/choice of enjoying the old car activity and justify the $ that has to be spent to accommodate that desire.  What ever makes you happy .

11 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

To put that in perspective Jay Leno will be at the Local Ridgefield Playhouse next month and center section seats sell for $435.

Thankfully, the typical Leno comedy show costs

much less.  I've been to three.  Tickets usually range

from around $70 to $110, but it depends on the theater.

I've seen tickets as low as $45.

Our local AACA region had an event at one of his shows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Although I can appreciate the title of the topic this discussion is happening under from my perspective just to attend ( not to add the cost in for car transport, restoration etc even if it was invited or chosen) 1) cost to get to the event - varies, if you are on the east coast add airplane ticket plus taxi to the airport ( or train ticket, bus ). I will not include cost of food because we all have to eat anyway. ,2) cost of rental car 3) cost to stay someplace within 75 miles of the event. Maybe add in cost of proper attire if you want to mimic the "elite" that have the proper tie, jacket, shoes, after shave, perfume 4) cost of the proper cap, hat, head gear etc.  We all have our own way/choice of enjoying the old car activity and justify the $ that has to be spent to accommodate that desire.  What ever makes you happy .

I wear the same jacket that I wore at the last wake, always the check the pockets for the card to see who it was, sadly some times there are more than one. I'm in a far happier mood wearing it at Pebble Beach.

Bob 

• Like 2

On 5/10/2022 at 3:15 PM, 1937hd45 said:

Crown Royal and Natti Boh. I don't smoke!

• Like 2

Nothing at Monterey is cheap. But if you are into sports cars, Laguna Seca is great. The nice thing is you can wander around in the paddock. The cars are constantly coming and going and tuning. The noise is something. The best day to go is Thursday or Friday. there is also something called the prereunion the weekend before. It is far less crowded and less costly. And many of the cars at the main weekend also show up to the prereunion. this year it is on August 13-14, 2022. 

i agree that the days just before the Pebble Beach Show are fantastic in the transporters area.  You could even avoid the 17 Mile Drive fee if you tell them you are going to lunch at the Lodge. 

• Like 2

On 5/10/2022 at 11:13 AM, edinmass said:

Buy me a drink at the bar.........and I will give you the back room take on the show, and how things operate in the dark. Crown Royal.......😎

Crown Royal Northern Harvest is my favorite!Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye - View Image 1

• Like 1

I saw a TV show about guys getting ready for Pebble Beach or some big event. There was background sound from a deep Bass reverberating stringed instrument. Everyone was moving in slow motion. And they were worrying about meeting the deadline.

"Well let me tell you something" They had trouble. I went right out and bought the sound track from The Music Man to play in MY garage.

• Like 1