re: recommended engine oil for a V6 Turbo

Johnny Buick

Hello Everyone

I recently purchased a 1985 Buick Riviera Convertible with the V6 Turbo engine. It is white and drives well. It did not come with any hand books and I was wondering what would be the recommended engine oil viscosity to use and should it be conventional or a full synthetic oil? Your comments would be appreciated.

Thank you

John

IMG_2810.JPG

IMG_2809.JPG

• Like 2

Great looking Riviera.  V6 turbo is less common as most had the Olds V8 307ci.  I believe 10w-30 would have been the oil of choice during the time this riviera was manufactured.

I'd definitely use a full-synthetic oil with the turbocharged engine.  Also good to let the engine idle 15 or 20 seconds to allow the turbo to slow down with oil still flowing to the bearings rather than simply throwing it in 'Park' and immediately killing the engine...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Johnny Buick said:

Hello Dave, Thank you for your comments. Will you be heading to Branson in a few weeks time? Take care John

Not this year.

10 hours ago, Johnny Buick said:

Hello EmTee Thank you for your advice and comments they are appreciated. I note that you also have a 1967 Riviera and I also one and I am on the look our for a rear quarter panel, which had been damaged on mine. Take care Regards John

John, check with the CTC Auto Ranch in Denton TX.  Most cars are from the desert SW.  Here’s a 67 on thir website.D0C402FB-39CC-416D-AB3F-2D7D2013CFC3.jpeg.53348c04e9caaf1709566115e3608d60.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Buick said:

Hello Ed

Thank you for the information. It is appreciated. Are you going to be in Branson this year?

Take care

John

Yes sir.  Linda’s ‘90 will be in the winner’s circle for Best in Class from 2018.  What about you and your lovely wife?