1925 Hood Disassembly Trouble

JayG

I'm trying to get the center rod out of the top hood sections of my 25 DB Roadster.  I uncrimped the ends and have been soaking it in phosphoric acid for a while now.  One side moves freely (as it always did) but the rod seems stuck to the hinges on the other side.   Am I missing something?  Anyone else taken the top hood sections apart?  Thanks!!

Hi Jay,

I haven't taken the rod out completely but I did need to free it up to get the hinge working again.  I used penetrating oil and then I drove a punch against the end of the rod with a hammer.  I did drive the center rod out each end of the hood about six inches and then back again.  I used a soft punch so it would deform before the hood rod and started with light taps.  

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the response.  I started with PB Blaster for a few weeks then went to the acid. I’ll keep soaking and tapping the ends  with a brass hammer until it frees up.  

Another trick I've used, if you can get the rod out enough to get a drill on it you can just reverse the drill and back the rod out like it's a screw. You can use the reverse method for putting it back.

• Like 2

Good news.  I finally got the center rod out.  It wasn't budging so it stayed soaking until finally today I got some movement when hitting the end with a brass hammer.  Did a little back and forth with the hammer then used a punch to drive it out one end.  Then I used the drill.  Needless to say I will be investing in a new rod (probably stainless) as this one is pretty  pitted and worn at the ends.   Thanks for all the input.

Edited by JayG (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Another little trick if you get stuck again is using a light hammer and small taps along the length of the hinge, using a heavy block of steel or dolly on the opposite side. Just travel up and down the length of the hinge and it will slightly spread the outer hinge and free it up. 

Glad to hear you got it out though. I used never seize on reassembling mine. 

• Like 1