The most famous "fake" photo ('31 Indy)

1931-H101-Wilbur-Shaw-wreck.jpg.4d66614c3ad5bd51430182f1344dfe58.jpgThe widely published image is obviously "cut and paste" in the old fashioned sense, but the story is real:

In 1931 young Wilbur Shaw thought Augie Duesenberg's operation represented his best opportunity for Indianapolis. Shaw approached Augie and was told “If you want to help build it, you can have the first chance to drive it”. He signed on and learned the meaning of a “Duesenberg Day”. He wrote:

“We’d report for duty early each morning, take time off for hamburgers and coffee late in the afternoon and then rush back to the shop to start the night shift. About two or three o’clock Augie would put his tools aside and say “Well boys, lets knock off and get a good night’s sleep. Be back about seven-thirty in the morning”. 

Shaw’s pure racing machine sadly blew its engine sky high in qualifying, but he was offered a relief ride in one of Fred’s Duesenberg's production based racers, which were made across the street from Augie's shop.  What a ride it was! Several laps into his shift in Phil Pardee’s car, Shaw entered a turn too fast and lost it. The outside wall was lower in those days and vertical, rather than perpendicular to the banked track surface and it acted like a ramp, sending him airborne. He flew high enough to take some wires off a telephone pole but landed right side up outside the track. Amazingly, he was only a little banged up and he walked back to the Duesenberg pit, making sure he was seen by his mother in the grand stands. He was worried Fred would be mad, but instead, Fred had him take over Jimmy Gleason’s car as a relief driver.   Once back on the track, he noticed the first few cars he passed immediately slowed and swerved away from him. He later learned they had seen him go over the wall and couldn’t believe their eyes that he was back!  

• Like 4

I saw the thread title and wondered what in the world could the famous fake photograph be? I clicked on the link and as soon as it began to load I chuckled aloud as I recognized it well before it finished loading! 

However, I had never read the story behind it! So thank you for that.

Early days of racing are filled with amazing stories of crashes and unbelievable survival! And unfortunately, a lot of fatalities as well. Speeds were much higher, but cars somewhat safer by 1931. Any way you look at it, he was very lucky to walk away.

Here are 9 of the 10 drivers and riding mechanics who were in the five factory Studebaker cars in the 1933 Indy 500, photo taken just after the race.  Five years later, half of the ten had died in racing accidents.  It wasn't a job for the timid.  It was, however, a job for the skinny, as the cars measured only 32 inches wide in the cockpit.

1230038438_Indydrivergroup1933(Large).png.4f3e1ac5159e89f9d8ffb627fc8fa63b.png

• Like 1

So many of the deaths we totally preventable to our modern eyes. No roll bars or seat belts, tracks that were lined with lethal guard rails designed for horse racing. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I found a '54 copy of Motor Life magazine that had several stories on the upcoming Indy race. I also found a '55 copy that covered the Pan American race and the '55 Kirk Douglas movie, The Racers. That movie, included vintage Grand Prix racing footage. Other movies like Gables' To please a Lady, and Micky Rooney's The Big Wheel, all incorporate actual footage of earlier Indy races. There are also some good documentaries available on YouTube. Racing was still a deadly game in those days.