For Sale: 1917 Elgin Touring - $15,000 - Rocky Face, GA - Not Mine - Still Available, Same $15,000 price: 6-25-2022: SOLD!

For Sale: 1917 Elgin Touring - $15,000 - Rocky Face, GA - Still Available, Same $15,000 price: 6-25-2022: See New Link Below: SOLD!

1917 Elgin - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

Been painted once in 54 years. Tons of documentation. 1 of 7 known to exist. $15,000 FIRM or trade

Copy and paste in your email: 38020673c1cd3e0aa8b85573c35325d8@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1917 Elgin Touring.

'17 Elgin GA a.jpg

'17 Elgin GA b.jpg

'17 Elgin GA c.jpg

'17 Elgin GA d.jpg

'17 Elgin GA e.jpg

'17 Elgin GA f.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
SOLD!!! (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I have a ‘20 Elgin Touring Car.  You are correct…. Fall’s engine that was made exclusively for Elgin according to the tag that is on the side of the block.  This guys ad said 1 of 7 known to be left.  I have heard less than 15 to be left.  I know of 4.  Thanks.

• Like 2

Not that I am aware of.  Some executives of the Elgin Watch Company (Elgin IL) got together to try their hand at the car business.  Two slogans that they used were “Car of the Hour” and “Runs Like A Watch”.  There were no legal affiliations to the watch company and the cars were produced in Argo IL (now know as Summit/Argo).

• Like 3

I wish there were better pictures. I hadn't heard of Elgin. The internet wasn't much help but did turn this up:

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1255183

1917 Elgin Six For Sale (picture 1 of 6)

Edited by Leif in Calif
didn't post picture from link (see edit history)
  • Like 1

(Wayne), or other readers,

If your interested, I would consider selling my Elgin.  The reason that I would sell mine is because I have located the actual car (24 REO) that my dad owned back when I was in high school (late 70’s).  I have an opportunity to buy dad’s old car, but I don’t have space.  I need to let a car go to get another one.  I also have a few other Elgin items (watch, stock document, etc.) that would go with the car.  Anyone interested drop me a note.  I also have a 21 REO Touring that I would consider selling.  Thanks all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1917 Elgin Touring - $15,000 - Rocky Face, GA - Not Mine - Still Available, Same $15,000 price: 6-25-2022:

Still Available, Same $15,000 price: 6-25-2022:

1917 Elgin - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale (craigslist.org)

Seller's Description:

Been painted once in 54 years. Tons of documentation. 1 of 7 known to exist. $15,000 FIRM or trade

Copy and paste in your email: 20b2d8debcf931508e038b2cf81e8d93@sale.craigslist.org

On 5/8/2022 at 2:05 PM, Leif in Calif said:

I wish there were better pictures. I hadn't heard of Elgin. The internet wasn't much help but did turn this up:

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1255183

1917 Elgin Six For Sale (picture 1 of 6)

Now that is the cat's meow for a speedster. I would imagine hard to parallel park with that tail cone though, assuming it could be made to pass scrutiny of the friendly CT DMV folks. I could hang my Elgin watch from the dash...

• Like 1

I think the seller's firm price may make this car

hard to sell.  There is little demand for cars of this

era to begin;  there is small demand for Elgins; 

and it's likely no one will call to discuss the price

when the seller is adamant.

A firm price may work only when an item is in

high demand with numerous suitors.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, France Armstrong said:

Hello forum,  Just purchased the 1917 Elgin..  Would appreciate advise on getting it running.. Seller said it ran fine a year ago.. 

Congratulations!  Thanks for informing us.  Please start a thread to share your project progress with us.

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1917 Elgin Touring - $15,000 - Rocky Face, GA - Not Mine - Still Available, Same $15,000 price: 6-25-2022: SOLD!
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, France Armstrong said:

Have not had it running yet.. Can anyone give me a checklist for Dummies on getting it going..?? 

First question: What are you mechanical skills and available tools? Are you doing this yourself? or are you looking at a professionals?

Parked cars basically go bad from fluids. Gas, oil and water. 

First thing you want to know is whether the engine is free. - remove plugs, try to spin with hand crank. You will be looking at things like valve operation also. Are they free and functioning? 

Second - How is the oil? basically you remove the oil pan and drain and clean it with solvent. While pan is off look at engine (crank, rods, etc)  Trans and rear end oil would be checked here. 

Third - Fuel system What is in the gas tank. Stored completely empty? excellent!  Has 5-10 gallons of decades old fuel? <expletive>

Gotta remove the tank for cleaning. Then clean and check fuel lines, vacuum tank and carb. 

Drain and flush the radiator (again hopefully it was stored empty) Likely you will be fussing with the cooling system for a long while even after it runs. (See: Evaporust)

Once all of its fluids are clean, and it spins, then you try to start it. This is where you will be fighting, testing and adjusting the ignition system (including timing) and fuel delivery system including carburetor.  

Much more involved of course. As requested this is the ultra basic version. 

Notice I didnt mention the battery. Most all of the above is done without a battery. Your first cranking of the engine should NOT be done with the starter motor. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)

An engine that has sat for a long time? Do not force it! An easy to fix stuck valve could turn very quickly into a very expensive repair!

Usually, an engine can be freed up and be okay to run with a bit of careful checking and general service. Pretty well covered by m-mman.

It looks like he has exposed lifters and rockers which should make inspection easier. I assume when getting to actual start up lubricating these will be in order. Perhaps the buyer will post in the technical or restoration section his thead showing steps taken to resurrect this rare platform. I think the expert comments are always helpful to remember (and temper enthusiasm to just press the starter button and see what happens).🙄

On 5/8/2022 at 5:47 PM, RodgerWilson said:

(Wayne), or other readers,

If your interested, I would consider selling my Elgin.  The reason that I would sell mine is because I have located the actual car (24 REO) that my dad owned back when I was in high school (late 70’s).  I have an opportunity to buy dad’s old car, but I don’t have space.  I need to let a car go to get another one.  I also have a few other Elgin items (watch, stock document, etc.) that would go with the car.  Anyone interested drop me a note.  I also have a 21 REO Touring that I would consider selling.  Thanks all.

Hey Rodger,  How's the 1920 Elgins electrical problem coming..?

11 hours ago, RodgerWilson said:

Not finding a lot time to work on it, so not any change to report.  Thanks.

I sure know that problem. My 1915 model T runabout should have been finished over five years ago! It has been about three months from running for over four years now.