Any members near Hershey PA that can look at a car for me. It's in Halifax PA

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

What kind of Warranty you gonna give me on it? I think you are the only one I would want to fix it,  but I don't know if I can afford the shop rate, even if I show up with a few bottles of crown Royal to get on the right side of the Accounting department. 

Our roadster doesn’t need anything. It’s dialed in, and runs great. Won the number two overall trophy at Amelia last year. Most Elegant Open Car……….not too shabby. Although at its burn rate of fuel, you will spend as much on gas as you will to buy it. I’ll buy the first round……come on down and test drive it. It will sell itself. AJ had driven it………and he can vouch for its great power and ease of operation.

OK……here it is, Randy’s new 30’s roadster. He spent so much money on it, he has moolah 💰 stenciled on the side. Not too sure about that funny red fez…………

7D17E0CA-3725-43A5-801F-C1119F4B1396.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

REO Flying Cloud? I think 31 was the first year for juice on those if I'm not mistaken

I mentioned Reo earlier, and someone else mentioned it before me. Reo had been denied!

As for the brakes? I am not sure I fully believe this or not, however I have read a few sources that say Reo Flying Cloud was the first production automobile with "internal" hydraulic brakes. I was already familiar with Lockheed external band hydraulic brakes because my dad bought a 1927 Paige for the family to restore when I was fifteen. That project (like so many!) got stalled, so two years later I bought a 1929 Reo Flying Cloud coupe and drove it to high school. 1929 is the year generally given as the first year for internal hydraulic brakes, and my Reo had them.

This is sort of like working a crossword puzzle and you get to that point where you just flip to the back of the book to see what the answer is. I look forward to seeing the mystery solved but it's going to take a greater mind than mine to come up with the correct answer. 🤪

1 hour ago, thehandleman said:

I believe Walter Chrysler had the first hydraulic brakes in 1928 at least thats what I was always told. Either way I have no more guess’s on the car truck touring roadster coupe phaeton tractor motorhome hearse ambulance jeep amphicar limo etc., 🤔

There goes Sheldon again, drifting down another rabbit hole!

Sorry handleman, basically really not even close! Although Chrysler was the first major manufacturer to adopt (external band) hydraulic brakes, about 1924 (earlier than you thought!) on some models.

As racing speeds increased during the 1910s, the Duesenberg brothers realized there would be a significant advantage for a car to maintain higher speeds longer, and slow down quicker for the turns. I have read several variations to the story, and won't claim to know the exact sequence and timing. However, Lockheed was working on an idea, and they (Lockheed and the Duesenbergs) found each other. Often claimed as the first use of hydraulic brakes (in 1919 if I recall correctly?), the Duesenberg brothers used the braking advantage to win some important races! (There is an alternate theory that a French company used something similar a few years earlier?)

Regardless, the Duesenberg brothers began "production" of the model A Duesenberg custom built road cars in 1921. They are considered by most historians to be the first road cars to use hydraulic brakes. The following year, Lockheed began offering the system to other automobile manufacturers. A number of manufacturers signed on early, however several of them balked and delayed actually using them. Paige was one of the early signers but waited about three years to actually use them. Rickenbacker made a big deal about warning following cars about their superior brakes with spare tire covers emblazoned with "FOUR WHEEL BRAKES" to go on the back of the car in 1924.

Rickenbacker.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I will go as far as to say it's not an obscure Commercial vehicle.  

Now that I've actually read this thread I wonder if we may have overlooked this previous hint you provided? You later said "not a humpback panel". 

So you've ruled out humpback but not a panel in the same response. Are you sure you're not a politician ;) 

(Sorry hall cops, please don't ban me for using all the letters in politics. Dammit, did it again)

My guess is now a 36 Chevy Panel

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

I will confirm it's NOT a commercial vehicle, as I have seen photos and attest to the above comment is accurate. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

So you've ruled out humpback but not a panel in the same response. Are you sure you're not a politician ;) 

I'm practicing to be one.  Seems anyone is qualified these days and the worse you are at your job,  the better you'll do/ further up the ladder you'll make it. 

Oh not a panel or sedan delivery of any type and not an Ambulance just incase you thought I was only ruling out Hearse in that configuration. See it's not what you say so much as what you don't say that's important. 

17 minutes ago, thehandleman said:

Hey how about Willys M274 Mechanical Mule ?

We just put some wire wheels on it ?
or the other guess a speedster midget racer with 17” wire wheels and Juice Brakes 😂 

🍻

6303E74F-2787-4DC3-AA07-CF5940144A9B.webp

My old boss at the Marina I worked at out of highschool had one of these.  I thought it was cool,  but all it did was sit in the corner we never got to get it running or use it.  But no not one of these. 

The Midget racer would be cool as well. but not one of those.  Saw one before ,  someone had for sale. A 50's style one but it had a more modern engine in it, can't recall what it was,  but it looked super cool and at 12,500 with a spare engine I was trying to figure out what I could do with it.  It was a more recent build and in beautiful shape. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

Rich, you mentioned a specific Willys-Knight model. I don't see where some of those suggestions were answered, maybe I'm just missing it but a Willys-Knight still might be in play.

Greg, 

I think he did but we must be sure of willys

willys knight

Overland 

and a possible new one that just came to my Fried head did anybody mention 

Billy D ??? (Durant). ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

Today's Clue.

My new acquisition has 17 inch wire wheels as mentioned,  but wood spoke wheels were available as well. 

Feeling generous,  a second clue. My new acquisition also weighs less than 2500 lbs. 

is it a complete car or just the chassis?   

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

I thought about the Whippet six too but don't think it was ever available with 17" wheels. I believe the Whippet was gone a few years before 17s became popular.

1931 whippet last year from my info,probably had 19" or 18" but yu never know good guess

As long as entire company configurations are being eliminated so can we eliminate ALL Chrysler configurations? I did a search and saw where a PLYMOUTH PA had been eliminated but perhaps another Plymouth model? Weren't the PC and PD models the sixes of 1933? They would certainly hit all of the clues so far.

Soap Box derby car   ?????????????????????????????????????????  or Aircraft Fuel Tank converted to straight race car  School Bus  First Motohome   Woody   I done Please release the Hounds!!!     AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😱

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

As long as entire company configurations are being eliminated so can we eliminate ALL Chrysler configurations? I did a search and saw where a PLYMOUTH PA had been eliminated but perhaps another Plymouth model? Weren't the PC and PD models the sixes of 1933? They would certainly hit all of the clues so far.

Yes Greg the PC and PD are first year for the Six in Plymouth and they did use 17" wires and Juice Brakes but I think he killed mopar ???