Father and Son project - Build miniature Rolls Royce Boat Tail For My Son (YouTube video)

nick8086

Wow, really cute video and massive respect. I wonder if he plans a short run to market at say $10K a piece to the kids of the gold coast....Unfortunately we won't be walking into Home Depot in America and find 2 inch thick, 18 inch wide boards anywhere....

That car must weigh as much as the real thing. If that was in North America I would say the wood is ash, but the video looks like it was made in Asia. Why do asians make everything on the floor? Not a sawhorse, workbench or table in sight. I notice this a lot in videos from India, Vietnam, etc....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prewarnut said:

Wow, really cute video and massive respect. I wonder if he plans a short run to market at say $10K a piece to the kids of the gold coast....Unfortunately we won't be walking into Home Depot in America and find 2 inch thick, 18 inch wide boards anywhere....

Take a look in the background - there's also a Corvette and possibly Ferrari or Lamborghini already built.

36 minutes ago, Tom Boehm said:

Why do asians make everything on the floor? Not a sawhorse, workbench or table in sight. I notice this a lot in videos from India, Vietnam, etc....

The one thing about working on the floor is it is stable and not going to tip or rock.  The other thing is that you work right over your work and not be reaching out.  When laying out lines you should be more precise being over top of it. 

32 minutes ago, 3macboys said:

Take a look in the background - there's also a Corvette and possibly Ferrari or Lamborghini already built.

The one thing about working on the floor is it is stable and not going to tip or rock.  The other thing is that you work right over your work and not be reaching out.  When laying out lines you should be more precise being over top of it. 

I went to an automatic transmission school in the mid seventies in Chicago.A guy who graduated with me opened up a shop and I heard he didn't have a work bench and had a couple of large dogs who shed hair all over.

• Haha 2

Did he go on to own a "HONK-HONK-M-C-O" franchise? The one here has always been scuzzy inside and vehicles sit for months waiting to be fixed.

The wooden cars are impressively crafted. Possibly teak? I've heard of another durable Asian hardwood but can't recall the tree's name. Those "tree of heaven" things that have invaded the Southeast will wear a chainsaw out, I know for fact.

Are you thinking of Pawlonia? 

As far as working on the floor, I think its crazy. At my age I would be good for getting to work in the morning but would need help getting back up!! And, my workbench is very stable and has not once tipped!

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Father and Son project - Build miniature Rolls Royce Boat Tail For My Son (YouTube video)

There are several Asian woods similar in appearance and workability to ash. The ones I have worked with most often are sen and Indian laurel. Strong wood grain, heavy & dense, easy to finish.