How to reset DB speedometer

Hello I am trying to service and reset my speedometer. It began working erratically. I removed it and cleaned it, and applied some oil to the shaft. I am not sure how to roll the odometer to zero. 

image.jpg

Considering this is a junked speedometer. If the mileage was true it would be different. My speedometer has not been connected for as long as I’ve had it. 

I had that trouble with one and the piece with the numbers had moved/warped out of being concentric. I gently manipulated it back round. I thought you were having trouble with rolling back the miles. I think if things are free you go forward to 00000. But you better know for sure. Does the trip counter work freely?

I was having trouble with the miles. I figured it out. I punched the odometer shaft out and turned the numbers by hand. It was at 76k so it did not take more than 15 or 20 minutes to do. 

All Solved. 

NEW ISSUE:

The speedometer gets pegged at the max speed with just turning it by hand 

Edited by Mpgp1999 (see edit history)

I think the only way to get it back to zero is remove the drum and disassemble then re assemble at 0/0/0/0/0.  Just pay attention when you pull apart as there’s a few parts in the drum and the order of assembly is important.

or you put it in a drill and keep it running till it gets back to 0.

My speedo has seized [ the drive wont turn ], and I cant get it apart. Can anyone throw some light on how it is supposed to come apart. I have removed the 4 screws from the circumference and there were 3 screws in the back of the head which I have removed. Just need to know for sure which bits slide apart before I start putting pressure on it.

I sprayed some loctite Freeze and Release into the drive so will wait to see what happens. Thought I might as well spray it on the body and sure enough, it came apart easily without forcing. The speedo drum moves freely so its probably only the seized drive.

After leaving it for a while, I managed to get it turning using a screw driver. Not too hard to turn but too hard to spin with my fingers using a cable end.  Seems to have a tight spot, but still not free all the way around.

Edited by cutdown
more info (see edit history)
  • Like 1