Franklin Employees factory badge 1929

Car factories had pins that employees had to wear to prove that they indeed were part of the facility or gang of workmen and women that were there to take part in the creation of the machines we now collect and admire. These badges were usually fairly small . the one you see here is 1 inch tall by 1 1/4 inch wide.  The Franklin Company issued it in 1929 to Herbert B. Reed who was a student Engineer in 1929 at the Franklin factory. The employees badges were reused when they were turned in after their time at the factory . Mr. Reed kept his as a souvenir of the time he was in training . I bought it from him as well as some issues of MoToR magazine . Mr.Reed also sold me a few period photographs of the test department at the Franklin factory. All of this about 40 years ago. These badges were sometimes manufactured by the same companies that produced the emblems for the top front of the radiator shells. ( yes I am well aware that Franklins did not have a radiator!)

FRANKLINemployeesbadgefront.jpg

IMG_2389(1).jpg

Neat pin......love this kind of thing, and it's a rare as a Franklin water pump!

OK, I must confess. I'm the guy who pours anti freeze under the front end of Franklin cars when no one is looking. Must have done it a dozen times at CCCA events.....it never gets old. 😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Ed, Just think it was great to read about your  task of pouring at the CCCA events . WONDERFUL, but no one ever posted a photo of that in the CCCA magazine

that needs to be corrected

• Like 1

Thanks for posting Walt.  Franklin stuff has been hard for me to find - our friend here Neil always gets to it first.  Of course we have a "gentleman's agreement" on a few items - he doesn't collect spark plugs and I keep away from the Franklin items.

Happy collecting-

Terry

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

Ed, Just think it was great to read about your  task of pouring at the CCCA events . WONDERFUL, but no one ever posted a photo of that in the CCCA magazine

that needs to be corrected

Ask, and you shall receive……..at the next meet with a Franklin, I shall repeat the special event………

• Like 1