Hershey Hotel Rates

jerry k

2 hours ago, Jack Bennett said:

I believe there is a narrow margin between tradition and addiction. I would like to visit some of the antique car and tractor shows, and since my wife passed, have both to finances, time and reasons to do so. 
But, I also believe this country is being sold one hotel room, and one gallon of gas at a time by the “haves”, and being bought, at inflated, and exorbitant prices by the “have nots” who are addicted to tradition. The perfect example is the ability to squeeze $450.00 a day for a hotel room from those folks whose sole goal is attending a friendly, and fraternal, gathering of classic car enthusiasts. Add the inflated cost of fuel, food, and related activities to this mix and the product is a whole generation of kids missing the opportunity to spend time with their parents/grandparents, and, perhaps, acquiring a lifelong hobby of classic car restoration.

How about breaking the age old tradition of hosting these events in a “traditional” (read that to mean “tourist trap place like “HERSHEY”!!!!!!!! (YYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!) and splitting the events among smaller, and equally interesting/scenic towns which need, welcome, and will compete for such lucrative trade as provided by a bunch of old car fans…..with lots of loose money?

Or, is the ability, and desire to spend the kids inheritance a acceptable, and maybe even enviable part of becoming a classic car hobbyist?

Just saying……..bring the meet to Puyallup, Washington and I’ll be there with bells on my toes and a pocket filled with coins😳.

Yikes, not sure where to begin.  In the case of AACA we are all over the country with small and large shows.  We rely on our regions and chapters to host smaller events in their respective communities. The Pacific Northwest is a challenge due to the lack of members who would support the event.  It is getting harder and harder for us to put on cost effective events EVERYWHERE in the country.  The ability to find venues to host us, nice hotels that have reasonable rates and volunteers to help onsite with the event are all issues we and others face.  It is not as simple as "Build it and they will come."  Those of us that actually work at putting these events on know only too well the issues involved.  Just the past year we have tried events in other non-traditional areas and despite all the hard work of many they have been less than successful.

As to Hershey, as I and others have said there are housing alternatives if you are willing to drive an extra 30 minutes.  With a little effort people have found rooms even closer at more affordable rates.  The event is still FREE to enter although parking which does not come to AACA is charged.  There are some events that are significant enough that the tradition means a lot to the attendees.  That is why people came in 2020 and pretended like the week was actually happening!  The Indy 500 stays in one place, the Kentucky Derby stays in one place, Pebble Beach stays in one place, etc.  Over the course of my career here I have constantly been told  over and over again, "do not let anything happen to Hershey".  To so many it is their major holiday and vacation each year.  

Jack  your comment about Hershey being a tourist TRAP is interesting.  People come here by the millions because they want to!  Everyone makes a cost/benefit decision on what to do and where to go. No one forces anyone to go anywhere.  As to children, those who wish to bring their kids to Hershey this year have the added bonus of Hersheypark being open on Saturday and Sunday so there is even more family entertainment available.  

I am certainly not making light of the expense but many businesses here rely on the income from the summer to stay alive all year long.  Hershey is not necessarily a mecca to go to in the winter! In the end, if a group of hobbyists think they can put on a great event in Puyallup or any other area of the country they ought to give it a go!  It is not as simple as you would think!  You are right , for many Hershey is an addiction as well as a tradition but a tradition each year folks seem to enjoy immensely.  They have said so on this thread.  Hopefully this is one addiction that causes no harm accept for a lot of sore feet, sunburns, colds, junk food and the like!  It sounds like maybe you have never visited the Hershey event.  I am willing to bet that if you did you too would be addicted.  I'll buy you the first Hershey candy bar!

One final comment about spending the kids inheritance.  I have a different take maybe.  I was raised by parents who felt a huge obligation to leave their children an inheritance.  I have inherited that desire as well.  However, I raised my daughter to get a great education and to never have to worry about supporting herself in life.  Thankfully she has exceeded my fondest wishes.  She on the other hand wants me to do as much as possible to enjoy my years of hard work and income.  A large inheritance is not as important to her as seeing me happy.  I on the other hand want to see her happy and use that income to do things with her while I am ALIVE!  So, hopefully more and more people will take their kids to these great events and not only let them enjoy being there but being with their family.

Wish life was easier and simpler but we are a far cry from those days.  In the meantime, we are hoping for another great year of activities here.  The Library literature sale returns, a first-time artist venue will be on the showfield Friday and just maybe there will be a few more surprises by October!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Room Rate Special- Bring your own air mattress, and find some place on Steve Moskowitz's garage / dining room / living room floor. There will be no more than 35 people to a bathroom. Room Rate: One liter of Crown Royal Apple delivered to my work address. When payment is received I will forward the address and a drawing for your spot on the floor. Hurry and reserve now, as this offer is limited to the first 175 respondents. As a special bonus, Steve will buy you breakfast at the Hershey Hotel each day........this offer may end at any time without notice. 

PS- No refunds for cancellations, and yes small or large dogs are welcome. See photo of home below. 

Unknown-3.jpeg

• Haha 3

I can’t bring myself to buy that imported swill after living in KY bourbon country for 18 years. If a bottle of Woodford Reserve Rye is acceptable it will be in the mail today. If Steve offers me the dining table over the floor I’ll send the bottle directly to him. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

I can’t bring myself to buy that imported swill after living in KY bourbon country for 18 years. If a bottle of Woodford Reserve Rey is acceptable it will be in the mail today. If Steve offers me the dining table over the floor I’ll send the bottle directly to him. 
dave s 

The only thing in life I swill..........is good Canadian Rye. I have often been served that Kentucky swill that they call bourbon. 

To be fair and accurate....I have also swilled gin, vodka, brandy, rum, and Pisco. 

Yes, I know number three applies to me as well.

swill

verb

To save this word, you'll need to log in.

\ ˈswil   \
swilled; swilling; swills

Definition of swill

(Entry 1 of 2)

transitive verb

1: WASH, DRENCH
2: to drink great drafts of : GUZZLEswill beer
3: to feed (an animal, such as a pig) with swill

intransitive verb

1: to drink or eat freely, greedily, or to excess

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

It must be your commonwealth background that causes your temporary state of distaste in the consumption of the finer beverage of bourbon. Or maybe you’ve just had too much Canadian stuff over the years and it has killed your taste buds as well as brain cells. Thank goodness it hasn’t affected your mechanical genius abilities. I would be proud to buy you any brand you desire next time we see each other. Now let’s get this back on subject before Peter bans us both! 
dave s  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, edinmass said:

The only thing in life I swill..........is good Canadian Rye. I have often been served that Kentucky swill that they call bourbon. 

To be fair and accurate....I have also swilled gin, vodka, brandy, rum, and Pisco. 

Yes, I know number three applies to me as well.

swill

verb

To save this word, you'll need to log in.

\ ˈswil   \
swilled; swilling; swills

Definition of swill

(Entry 1 of 2)

transitive verb

1: WASH, DRENCH
2: to drink great drafts of : GUZZLEswill beer
3: to feed (an animal, such as a pig) with swill

intransitive verb

1: to drink or eat freely, greedily, or to excess

Ed, let's go to Baltimore one of these days and hit Dabrowski's Polish bar at Lombard & S. Ann streets, where we do shots of Zubrowka (see below) which feels warm going down and then flames zoom up from your tummy to your throat, quenched by a draft of Dortmunder Union Bier.  In the Good Old Days (1969-1971) at the late, great Fort Holabird, which was strategically located between Fleischmann's Yeast and the American Standard toilet company, on Thursdays we would take my 1939 Cadillac 75 7-passenger to Dabrowski's for their $1.75 lunch of kielbasa, dumplings, and salad--preceded by a visit to the bar.  Upon return to the College on the Colgate [Creek], a future EPA Superfund site, we would hit the Intel School library, seek out overstuffed leather chairs, and drape a New York Times over our faces for the rest of the afternoon.

Żubrówka Bison Grass Vodka is a flavored Polish vodka, which contains a bison grass blade in every bottle. The Żubrówka brand name is also used on bottles of conventional vodka, labeled as Żubrówka Biała. An easy way to tell the difference is to look for the blade of grass in the bottle. Wikipedia

• Like 1

Ed, you need some serious help!  However, I doubt any form of treatment will work.  I would, however, pay to see the electro-shock therapy given to you! :) Don't you have some cars to work on?  

P.S. Ed, the picture of my house was meant only for your eyes.  I hope now I will not have too many people come by to see my mansion.  I call it my barn find home!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I have experienced shock therapy many times, most recently from the magneto on the 1917 White. The free bottle in front of me, was much better than the prefrontal lobotomy. I’m taking my medication, and my therapist is doing the best she can. As far as cars and needed repairs, my work is never done. As far as your McMansion, Time to pry your wallet open with a crowbar, and buy some paint. HPOF does not apply to shack of the month! 😇

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

It's disingenuous to be either shocked or annoyed at hotels for maximizing their profits. It's capitalism at its best.  

You have options if you don't like the cost associated with going.  Find a hotel that matches your budget or don't attend the event. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I get there (not if, but when!) I am seriously considering just driving in that morning. Google says it's a 4 hour ride. I would be coming for the show, not the vendors, so only one day for me. It'll depend on if I can talk my brother into making that drive...

Edit to add: if you think that price is bad, look up what hotels do for NASCAR races. Yeah, ticket prices are cheap for the race itself, but with the hotels jacking their prices, requiring a 3-night stay, not allowing you to bring food, etc, you're looking at spending at least $1200 for a four hour race or less, and that's not even counting the fuel costs or rental cars if you need one. And they wonder why the races rarely sell out. 

Edited by Billy Kingsley (see edit history)
  • Like 4

On 5/12/2022 at 3:52 PM, Steve Moskowitz said:

One final comment about spending the kids inheritance.  I have a different take maybe.  I was raised by parents who felt a huge obligation to leave their children an inheritance.  I have inherited that desire as well.  However, I raised my daughter to get a great education and to never have to worry about supporting herself in life.  Thankfully she has exceeded my fondest wishes.  She on the other hand wants me to do as much as possible to enjoy my years of hard work and income.  A large inheritance is not as important to her as seeing me happy.  I on the other hand want to see her happy and use that income to do things with her while I am ALIVE! 

Excellent!! I remember one of my brothers asking my opinion about my father buying another Classic car at the age of 88, so that he could drive it on an upcoming CCCA CARavan. My comment in response was two-fold:

"Can he afford it?" (Response: "Yes" -- which was probably stretching the truth somewhat)

"Then let him do it."

• Like 2

First time at Hershey we pitched a borrowed tent on some grass along side the old stadium.  After that, it was sleeping in the back of a station wagon, later a friend started bringing a motor home.  We've been doing the hotel thing since my wife decided sleeping in the old motorhome wasn't conducive to a good night's rest. 

Stay where you can, squeeze the best deal you can find, and when you get there, you'll be glad you came.  Stop by and say hi and let me tell you some of those old motor-home stories.  Don't forget to bring old spark plugs.

Terry

• Like 1

As long as there are people who say "I refuse to stay in a dump like that" I will have a place to stay when I travel. There have been times when I decided to go to Hershey the night before leaving. I didn't use an online reservation service. The old fashioned Yellow Pages did the trick. I can think of four places I can use the 717 area code, not 800 or 888, and be confirmed by the owner hours before I leave. I have one great picture of my '77 sedan deville sitting in a snowy cemetery and my motel in the background.

It's a car thing away from home. What a great way to exploit your multiple personalities. The event takes me back to my early teens when the opened the Kentucky Fried Chicken in town. We'd share a bag of that at the junkyard and my mother would wonder how my hands got cleaner than they were before I left. Just like the tin foil wrapped turkey legs at Hershey. Reverting is something I do well. And I like to go alone.

• Like 1