Hershey Hotel Rates

jerry k

Just checked Marriott Courtyard, where we have stayed for many years, rates for October swap meet.  $450.00 per night.  Same room is $ 215.00 tonight.  Won't be staying there and reconsidering going.

By October it will likely be $550+. Diesel here in PA $6.59 a Gal as of yesterday. Likely more today. Gotta hurt the hobby/Hershey not to mention everything/everyone else.............Bob

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

By October it will likely be $550+. Diesel here in PA $6.59 a F***ING Gal as of yesterday. Likely more today. Gotta hurt the hobby/Hershey not to mention everything/everyone else.............Bob

Shh,  you aren't allowed to talk about it.  Remember everything is fine through the rose colored glasses. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I am sure we are not the only 'show' in town either any more. Last year my hotel was filled with families with kids for a soccer tournament as well as a baseball tournament, supply and demand. As well as all kinds of people there on business trips coming and going. 

My VCCA Region blocked 45 room nights at the Hilton Garden Inn last year before we left, and secured a very good price for this year. We have been doing this for the past 10 years. We spend a ton of money at the bar and restaurant, so it seems to have worked out very well for us. We have it all in a contract held on a credit card.

Jerry, I guess we got to learn to pivot. As Mike Tyson said "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the nose."  You can always try relive the past and sleep in your car, (not for me) and at least your not walking in mud. In the big picture you have to ask yourself if $235 more a night is really going to change your life that much in the long run and if it is, you have to ask yourself if is worth going in the first place? (only you can answer that)

A very close friend of mine passed away last week after an 8 month fight with cancer at 57 years old. He always told me he was going to come down to Hershey with me when he retired. Sadly, he never made retirement or Hershey.  Figure out a way how to enjoy it, and make it happen while you can, cause you just never know.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

I wonder what made them decide to raise the rate?

Heating fuel cost up 100 %. Elec up 15%. Help cost up 50% (if you can find someone willing to work). Etc. Etc. Someone has to pay the freight. No such thing as a free lunch or free money for that matter.

Kind of tough to justify spending on a car show if you are worried about paying for your heating bill...........Bob

• Like 3

This is no change from previous years.  Hotels always have their "Hershey Rates" but those rates are also during the peak summertime during Hersheypark operations.  Many businesses are trying to pick up the pieces from COVID, especially the hospitality industry.  I advise people that there are good options if you are willing to stay 30 minutes or so outside the prime area.  Many less expensive hotels. 

Campgrounds range from Hershey's to the two in Elizabethtown. Go to www.Hershey-Harrisburg.com to learn more.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

It's cheaper than most vacations or a week at a resort and I'd much rather be at Hershey than just about any other place. So my hobby costs a few extra bucks this year, big deal. If you have toy cars in your garage, you aren't so close to the ragged edge that the added costs are going to break you. It costs what it costs and many folks, myself included, still feel it's worth it. I'll be there, and I pay the freight to ship three cars to the show, plus two others to drive our people there, plus three hotel rooms and feeding six people.

It's still the best week of my year, costs be damned.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Book your room in January, on a booking service like Expedia- with free cancellation. Many of the hotels “forget” to Jack their rates for a few months at the start of the year. Like anything else, it pays to prepare in advance. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

It's still the best week of my year, costs be damned.

Unless it rains for the whole week, then it is not my best week of the year, but I still have fun, just not that much. What we did to pass time was we sent one of the guys out to buy a few hundred dollars of scratch off tickets.

I agree with Matt. This will be our 54th year at HERSHEY and I'm not going to stop until they plant me. Hotel rates are up, not only in the Hershey area but all across the country, in fact everything is up including the gas to get to Hershey and the food we will eat in the restaurants. My reservations for this year were made last October and I had no idea the country would be going thru a recession, but I'm still going, God willing.

• Like 4

To be honest sleeping on the flea market spot in the enclosed trailer is far more fun than any Motel. Think my oldest grandson was 7 when he joined the campers. Both our kids and grandkids made it to Hershey before their first birthdays.  

Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

To be honest sleeping on the flea market spot in the enclosed trailer is far more fun than any Motel. Think my oldest grandson was 7 when he joined the campers. Both our kids and grandkids made it to Hershey before their first birthdays.  

Bob 

Agreed, but I have friends that that isn't an option. They book a hotel down around Carlisle which is 30-40 minutes away and get good rates.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

I’ve heard some truly nostalgic and passionate stories about Hershey. Sounds like there’s just something about it that leaves an impression on people. That’s exactly why I’m planning on going this year. 

Come hang out with us while you're there Bob. Cold drinks, shade, and a comfy place to sit and rest your feet, all yours for the taking. I might even bring a 25" rim along for the Haynes. PLUS I have the model A doodlebug. It's great for hauling parts you don't want to carry....................😃

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Heating fuel cost up 100 %. Elec up 15%. Help cost up 50% (if you can find someone willing to work). Etc. Etc. Someone has to pay the freight. No such thing as a free lunch or free money for that matter.

Kind of tough to justify spending on a car show if you are worried about paying for your heating bill...........Bob

I wonder what made their costs go up?

Ten years ago when a driver of an SUV decided to turn into my lane while I was riding my motorcycle the big ugly world of medical bills and hospitals reared it’s ugly head.  At one point the itemized bill for my surgeries and care was a tad over $800,000.  No, that’s not a misprint.  I last attended Hershey in 2011 ( on my motorcycle so I wouldn’t buy too much extra stuff I didn’t need).  I haven’t been able to go back since 2011.  A hotel room is much cheaper than a hospital room and probably way more fun.

Fall in PA can be a busy time and hotels know how to price themselves to make a profit when they can.  With a little looking and some extra driving some better rates should be available.  As for diesel fuel prices, PA and federal gas tax on diesel is almost $1.00 a gallon.  Remember some people pay thousands of dollars to a ticket for a football game.  All depends on what you enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I do not disagree with anyone. However, same room was $ 100 day less last year. Also, by comparison I have a ( much nicer) room booked at the Deerborn Inn during the Old Car Festival @ $215 per night. 

8 hours ago, jerry k said:

Just checked Marriott Courtyard, where we have stayed for many years, rates for October swap meet.  $450.00 per night.  Same room is $ 215.00 tonight.  Won't be staying there and reconsidering going.

I just looked on Expedia.ca and they have rooms there for $265 per night Canadian for Oct 4 to 7th - maybe trying calling the hotel direct and they might match the price.  That's for a room with two queens or one king.  Good luck and hopefully with a little comparison shopping you will end up with a "reasonable" rate.

Reminds me of the Holiday Inn in Bowling Green, KY during the TriFive Nationals.  Their “block” rate is about $160 a night for the 4 nights.  If you rent it after that block is filled, it sometimes jumps to $900 per night.  

Beyond the car interests if you have kids and they can get out of school for a week and come along the attraction of Hershey park and Hershey world is something that you would take them to any time of the year ( except maybe below zero weather an snow and ice.)  SO they may put up with Dad & Mom's looking at rusty car parts if they get to ride a roller coaster , Ferris wheel or drive their own car on the amusement park rides.  I can't  believe I retired from teaching 1,100 kids a week a decade ago and still think about ways to keep them happy while the parents are being happy as well.

• Like 4

I’ll book a few days in advance, when the hotels are not full, they drop the prices……been doing this the last ten years……….works fine, and I’m never more than 15 miles away……..which is fine, so in the evening I can get to a restaurant that isn’t a three hour wait with a limited menu. With fuel costs, inflation, and a general overall slowdown………..I’m going to attend, but I no longer consider it a must go to event…..and this will be my 51 year. It’s now a cost friends and get away from the grind, they days of doing business and buying parts are substantially reduced……which is fine. Still love it………but with so many events I now consider several others as competitors based on a time/money/value. Since I no longer can drive to Hershey…..for 60 bucks……the airplane and rental car place it in a much more expensive category. Odd I’ll be there this year……90 percent. Remember the different days this year when making arrangements.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

8 hours ago, 3macboys said:

I just looked on Expedia.ca and they have rooms there for $265 per night Canadian for Oct 4 to 7th - maybe trying calling the hotel direct and they might match the price. 

I use Expedia and the like to find places that look ok and have decent reviews then book directly generally the price is comparable but the terms are more favourable

Doing Holiday Inn express again, right there, clean and under $300 night, but was close to booked up when we reserved in March.

For years we stayed 40 minutes out in Lancaster area, plenty of ressonable places to stay, great restaurants but you do spend a couple hours each day "commuting".  Loved leaving Lancaster before sunrise though, on 283 and hitting the Hershey exit as it gets light out.  Anticipation...

• Like 3

322 makes a nice ride if you dont mind going out of the way a bit. I lean towards the Lancaster side of the event but I would imagine the hotel rates there are high just because of where you are. I am lucky enough to be able to get there with an easy drive of an hour or so, although I only go for one day.

I just don't understand all the complaining.  Do what I do.  Sleep in your own bed at home.  Have your morning shower and coffee then drive the 35 miles to Hershey like I do.  Oh wait.  Not all you guys live within an hours drive to Hershey. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Look around Pine Grove PA and Lebanon / Lickdale PA both of which are close to I81 and PA 72 for easy access to Hershey.  I would say look in my area, Lititz /Manheim PA but the Rock Lititz music complex has raised the prices for most of the local hotels. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Restorer32 said:

I just don't understand all the complaining.  Do what I do.  Sleep in your own bed at home.  Have your morning shower and coffee then drive the 35 miles to Hershey like I do.  Oh wait.  Not all you guys live within an hours drive to Hershey. 

I agree.  

So I'm gonna do the same thing you do.

Question: Is there enough room for both of us in your bed at your home? (oh, and I like hazelnut coffee please)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

I agree.  

So I'm gonna do the same thing you do.

Question: Is there enough room for both of us in your bed at your home? (oh, and I like hazelnut coffee please)

I’ll would join you two for one night but I’m afraid we would be known as Moe, Curly and Larry from then on!  
dave s 

Jack, don’t you think any venue chosen would have inflated hotel prices? So the $450 a night would help the WA economy instead of the PA economy. Every event I’ve ever gone to that is a week long and draws a crowd from a wide area seems to have increased hotel prices for the event week. Isn’t it the same as in season prices for resorts at certain times of the year. They know they will fill the place so why not make more $$ on the outsiders traveling to the area. 
Good business sense but may not be great for the individual. 
dave s 

• Like 2