Coil and Distributor removal, 46 v12 Lincoln .

46 Lincoln EFN

Hello all ,

I need to remove my coil and Distributor, Simple  enough in  my mind, until the coil seems stuck and is not Budging, I don’t want to break it ! 
 From what I was told three screws on top to remove the coil .  Is there a trick to removing the coil ?  Or am I missing something? 

Thank you ,

Everett 

I got it !!

I jacked the car up and took a stick and banged up Gently on the distributor coil on each corner loosening it up.  Seems there’s was some sort of glue holding it or old gasket .   It was my last resort.  Now for  the plug connector “things” lol image.jpg.7f27568c5c3d2311960467611ec309ad.jpg

Thanks , 

Everett 

The easiest way to get the distributor back on is to buy 2 - 5/16-18 x 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 long and cut the heads off of them. I then grind opposing flats on the un-threaded end to give me a gripping surface and cut a slot for a screwdriver also. Then you can use the 2 bolts as guide pins to hold the distributor as you turn the rotor to get the distributor tang aligned with the camshaft slot. I use the 1 1/2" bolts on my Mercury because I have lots of room and the 1 1/4 bolts on the Fords that do not have enough room to get the distributor over the longer bolts.

Clean all gasket surfaces and do NOT use a gasket cement or sealer on the gaskets. You can use a light coat of grease on the gasket between the timing cover and the distributor.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, 19tom40 said:

If the contact plates are stuck in the distributor, I remove the coil and try to press them out from the inside, while pulling on the outside. You do NOT need to remove the wires first.

I think Dave has the contact plates removed from the distributor. He's wanting to know how to get the distributor plate off of the distributor cap. At least, that's what I understood him to ask me a couple weeks ago when I saw him.

I believe you need to pull the sparkplug harness off the engine... that's the direction I'm going, at least. It seems like it would be near impossible to replace the plug wires into the new distributor plate otherwise.

Thanks West.

When I read "How did you get the spark plug plates out of the distributor?  Do the wires have to come out first? " , I took it literally.

It is easier to replace the wires in the conduits (long steel tubes) and caps by removing the conduits from the engine. To remove the conduits, remove the generator belt, remove the 2 intake manifold bolts that hold the conduit attached to the engine, remove the terminal plates from the distributor and remove the conduit and wires.

To remove the outer cap from the terminal plates remove the "O" ring from the center of the terminal plate amd the outer cap will come off.

When you replace the wires, start with the longest wire first and the continue with the next longest. It is easier to feed the wires from the spark plug end, leaving enough wire to reach the plug. When you have all of the wires in the conduit,  cut the wire to length, put on the terminal and insert the wire into the cap.

I recommend that you purchase the Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Service Manual Form #3606-42-48  reprint available from most vendors that supply the 32-48 Ford parts such as C&G Ford parts  https://cgfordparts.com/42-48-pass-merc-pu-service.html

It has service information that you will probably find very helpful.

On 7/1/2022 at 11:42 AM, 19tom40 said:

To remove the outer cap from the terminal plates remove the "O" ring from the center of the terminal plate amd the outer cap will come off.

This!! This is what has us (or at least me) confused. How does the "O" ring come off. I do not want to pry or twist until I understand how it's attached.

IMG_8259.jpg

IMG_8260.JPG

IMG_8261.JPG

West it is rubber and will stretch. It is held in place by a groove in the cap. I slip a very thin screwdriver blade between the rubber and the cap protrusion and then just roll it off.

If you damage it while removing it, Boose Herrel has them in stock.

Edited by 19tom40 (see edit history)

Thanks guys.  Between phone calls and emails with West and others, I know how to proceed.  I have my outer caps off but the inner plates are stuck in the distributor.  With the coil off, I've tried tapping them out with no results.  Next time I'm at the car I can be a little more aggressive with them, knowing that they are only stuck and not attached some how.