Jump to content

Car Registry's


TAKerry
 Share

Recommended Posts

Has anyone started or do they control a car registry?  I have compiled a list of cars in a particular model and have created a registry of which I would like to take it a step further. Right now I have the list on my computer. Any input on what the next step should be is appreciated. I am not looking at this for monetary gain, just a service to the community.

I will add getting on this forum is about the extent of my computer knowledge. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I only visit the Dodge truck registry. If you can contact Eric B. he might be able to help you since he set his up.

Dodge Truck Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Decoder (t137.com)

 

I thought about doing one exclusively for 1927-1933 Dodge Brothers trucks because of all the confusion swirling around those trucks but with everything else in life I have going it's more than what I'd currently want to deal with. I obviously didn't get very far, or I'd try and help. Let me know if you need Eric's email and I'll PM it to you. I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am interested in starting a new updated Simplex , Crane model 5 registry.  I am aware of the previous early Simplex registry, I am not interested in the pre Crane cars.   My son-in-law is talented in computer technology.  If you have any specific needs or questions feel free to send us a pm.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was given a registry of Gardner cars with about 40 entries.  I created a web site and a page where you could list your own Gardner.  Today I have 152 cars on the registry,
I do not publish it on the web but it is available to club members.  I'll send a PM with the format I use and my own experiences.
For a rare car this can be very helpful in a restoration.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For more than 50 years I have maintained a list of know Lozier automobiles.  To date, there ae only 40 known Lozier cars, including 3 project cars.  I share the information with the owners, but I do not share it with others.  Lozier are sold and bought without much outside fanfare.  There was one sold recently, that has changed hands and I don't have firsthand knowledge of who purchased it.  I did hear it is being given a new restoration.

If anyone knows of a Lozier, please contact me so I can make sure my information is accurate.

By the way, I have personally seen abut half of these Lozier automobiles.  I have a 1913 Montclair touring, that is original except it was repainted many years ago.  I also have many Lozier parts and I am always looking for any other Lozier parts.

Thanks,

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was thinking about doing a White Motor Car gas registry and asking to attach it to the steam registry, but they never answered me. Figuring one more page wouldn’t hurt………

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been meaning to create one for Chandler Motor cars for a while now. I have an old spreadsheet on my computer to start with, but what I really want is something is to create a simple database to organize the data. The issue of privacy and security would be a big deal for me to. I understand how important it is for other owners and would want to ensure that private information is not shared unless the owner agrees to share it.

 

Some other thoughts of what I would liken my ultimate Registry:

  • An entry form where each field is properly formatted. 
    • For example if you enter the VIN/Serial number, then the other fields would be formatted with only those values correct for that entry.
    • Unfortunately even from the owners that have provided their data in the past I have seen far too much misinformation that muddles the data
  • The ability to add pictures and and information by year
    • I think the only solution here is a dedicated website
  • and the ability to hide and show private data to make some of the information public
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 29 Chandler said:

I've been meaning to create one for Chandler Motor cars for a while now.

Chandler would be a great car to have a registry.  You would be building a support team that would help keep them on the road.
I'll send you the PM I sent to TAKerry

I was asked do you have a dedicated web site that just includes the registry, or is it linked through somewhere else?

www.gardnermotorcars.com

The registry page is a form for new members to fill in.  It worked great for years but now requires their email to be set up a certain way.  However many of the new members just used my email address.

My rules are simple

I need their permission to list their address and/or their phone number.
I will list their email, but this is never listed on the internet.
In the past I've had people contact me and ask do you know of a car my dad once had? Often I do know where it is today and I will contact the current owner by email and he can choose to contact the prior owner. (they always do)
New members want their privacy protected and this allows for that .
You may have better ideas, so this is just something to think about.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, prewar40 said:

Chandler would be a great car to have a registry.  You would be building a support team that would help keep them on the road.
I'll send you the PM I sent to TAKerry

I was asked do you have a dedicated web site that just includes the registry, or is it linked through somewhere else?

www.gardnermotorcars.com

The registry page is a form for new members to fill in.  It worked great for years but now requires their email to be set up a certain way.  However many of the new members just used my email address.

My rules are simple

I need their permission to list their address and/or their phone number.
I will list their email, but this is never listed on the internet.
In the past I've had people contact me and ask do you know of a car my dad once had? Often I do know where it is today and I will contact the current owner by email and he can choose to contact the prior owner. (they always do)
New members want their privacy protected and this allows for that .
You may have better ideas, so this is just something to think about.

prewar40

Thanks for the feedback. I'll certainly review your website and see how you have done things. With these Orphan cars that have been orphans for a 100 years or so the population is now so dispersed across the globe. The Internet is about the only way you can keep the group together. There used to be a Chandler Club for instance, but with meetings about once a year and members spread out so far it was really hard to keep it going.

 

I've got a few other irons in the fire including a full time day job, and the local HCCA newsletter and website to maintain. No to mention a few cars in the garage that are patiently waiting for some attention so that they may see some road miles some day. If no one else takes it on I'll have to get to it. If nothing else just for my own curiosity. How many are left? Where's the oldest? And the 100's of other questions we can try to answer by creating a Registry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Thanks for all of the input. I will be reaching out to you guys.

I like the idea of having the list made available to 'members'. 

It would be helpful to the hobby if that registry were also

placed in major automotive libraries, such as the AACA Library.

If I were contemplating the purchase of a rare car, such as a

Pilot or a Cole, or writing an article about them, I would want

to talk to an owner to find out about those rare makes.

 

After all, major club rosters, such as the Buick Club or CCCA,

are in automotive libraries.

 

If the information isn't put in a library, there's a greater chance

that the information could be lost when certain people pass on.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, prewar40 said:

I was given a registry of Gardner cars with about 40 entries.  I created a web site and a page where you could list your own Gardner.  Today I have 152 cars on the registry,
I do not publish it on the web but it is available to club members.  I'll send a PM with the format I use and my own experiences.
For a rare car this can be very helpful in a restoration.

prewar40 what a wonderful website you have for Gardner motor cars. As a St. Louis native and old car enthusiast I will have to spend more time on your site. What I love is all the pictures and resource information you have available to owners of these cars. And a great balance of public/private information. Well done!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

It would be helpful to the hobby if that registry were also

placed in major automotive libraries, such as the AACA Library.

If I were contemplating the purchase of a rare car, such as a

Pilot or a Cole, or writing an article about them, I would want

to talk to an owner to find out about those rare makes.

 

After all, major club rosters, such as the Buick Club or CCCA,

are in automotive libraries.

 

If the information isn't put in a library, there's a greater chance

that the information could be lost when certain people pass on.

 

I always had the same thought... BUT

Maintaining an online registry has a few challenges.

  • Technical:  doing it online requires some technical expertice
  • Data:  It relies more on the owners than the administrator to keep the data up-to-date
  • Security: I think the biggest hurdle is providing access to the data while at the same time trying to maintain some level of security/anonymity. Otherwise no one will trust the system and there no one will submit their vehicles.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...