06 Lucerne (Rear caliper mounting bracket bolts)

JohnO

I have spent a couple of hours on these and only got one off. The bolts require an enormous amount of torque just to turn them after I got it started. I do a couple of turns and have to take a rest. What is causing all that resistance and is there an easier way? I have been using a 3/8 inch ratchet with a 15mm socket. If something else works better please let me know Thanks.

It may also be a clue to where the car has lived..... I suspect in the rust belt. 

You might also want to check what bolts it uses.... many newer cars are using those torque to stretch bolts that cannot be

reused.    

13 hours ago, JohnO said:

I have spent a couple of hours on these and only got one off. The bolts require an enormous amount of torque just to turn them after I got it started. I do a couple of turns and have to take a rest. What is causing all that resistance and is there an easier way? I have been using a 3/8 inch ratchet with a 15mm socket. If something else works better please let me know Thanks.

A breaker bar may make easier or even an  Impact gun. PB blaster will help get into the threads and loosen them.

• Like 1

Try alternately loosening then tightening.  There's a couple of threads that are exposed when the bracket is tight and the exposed threads will corrode.  Going back-and-forth usually helps chase the threads.  Some penetrating lube will also help.

22 hours ago, EmTee said:

Try alternately loosening then tightening.  There's a couple of threads that are exposed when the bracket is tight and the exposed threads will corrode.  Going back-and-forth usually helps chase the threads.  Some penetrating lube will also help.

EmTee is right on target, and a good penetrating lube such as Kroil or Tri-Flow (much better than WD-40) in between reversing direction-

cannot imagine that they could be left-handed threads? but have seen folks unaware of left hand lug nuts on 1950s-1960s MoPar products