1954 Special Maintenance and Fixing Oddities

Yann Major

Hi everyone!

Working on my friend's 1954 Special, there are a few things to take care of : overheating issues in low speed conditions, engine cranking separated from the accelerator pedal, speedometer out of order, brake light etc...

I'm currently looking for a solution about the trunk lock, he had to force it due to the fact that one day, he left the 2 keys inside... And closed it 😂

Anyways, here's the part that i'm looking for :

DSC_0564.JPG.c1aa8322d34be18a405716a010bbb4eb.JPG

DSC_0562.JPG.c5eb1e0b859f8e06ebd66533a8ebf13c.JPG

It seems impossible to find one : on every vendors websites that I visited, there are only locks for '55-58 buicks.

Thankd in advance for your kind help!

Edited by Yann Major (see edit history)

• Yann Major changed the title to 1954 Special Maintenance and Fixing Oddities

Try contacting @MrEarl he may be able to help you on this car or know who you may contact.

and @avgwarhawk may also be able to help.

Bob

EDIT- part # 7002213 (briggs and stratton # 600464) is for case

part # 1097868 (briggsand stratton # 600463) is for cylinder

fits 1951 -40, 1952-53 EXC 59 + 79R and 1954 EXCEPT 49 - 69

ALSO used in Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and Cadillac

I hope this helps.

Briggs & Stratton key catalog: 1953-1961+Briggs+&+Stratton+Catalog.pdf

Edited by NailheadBob
update part numbers (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's a thought. GM lock cylinders are very similar from 1935-1966. If all you need is the cylinder and not the entire housing, a cylinder from another GM brand may fit.

Check with the Oldsmobile and Cadillac vendors since those are probably most like the Buick. Don't think Chev and Pontiac used the dust cover on trunk locks.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 3:15 PM, rocketraider said:

Here's a thought. GM lock cylinders are very similar from 1935-1966. If all you need is the cylinder and not the entire housing, a cylinder from another GM brand may fit.

Check with the Oldsmobile and Cadillac vendors since those are probably most like the Buick. Don't think Chev and Pontiac used the dust cover on trunk locks.

Maybe I should try this, but first I think that i should have a better look on the lock and if a new cylinder may fit in, because of the damages...

On 4/25/2022 at 3:03 PM, NailheadBob said:

Try contacting @MrEarl he may be able to help you on this car or know who you may contact.

and @avgwarhawk may also be able to help.

Bob

EDIT- part # 7002213 (briggs and stratton # 600464) is for case

part # 1097868 (briggsand stratton # 600463) is for cylinder

fits 1951 -40, 1952-53 EXC 59 + 79R and 1954 EXCEPT 49 - 69

ALSO used in Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and Cadillac

I hope this helps.

Briggs & Stratton key catalog: 1953-1961+Briggs+&+Stratton+Catalog.pdf

Maybe I did it wrong, but when googling these refereces, I cannot find anything suitable ?

Edited by Yann Major (see edit history)

MrEarl and avgwarhawk are Forum members who are familiar with 54 Buicks. They should have gotten an alert from NailheadBob's mention of them unless they have notifications turned off.

Right now you don't have enough posts to use the private message function. Once you do, you can contact them privately thru the Forums and see if they have any ideas on your trunk lock issues.

If you have a local locksmith that's been in business a long time they should have some ideas too.