1929 Buick Series 116, Model 27 Sedan

1929 Buick 4d Sedan Series 116, Model 27,  6 cylinder, 5 passenger 25th Anniversary Edition,.  The VIN is 2378089.  The model 27s also had rear quarter windows.  It is painted Cynosure Blue with Black upper body and fenders.  The 29 Buicks were the first Buicks to be entirely styled by the Harley Earl art department.

He purchased the car from Gateway Classic Cars of Milwaukee on April 20, 2017 and shipped it to WV via enclosed transport.  He had the car fully serviced in 2019 also purchased tons of reference and repair instructions for the car. The car was listed by a family who had owned it for years and were liquidating an estate.  I don’t know any more history than that.   I think the car was restored in the 1980s.  It has always been garaged.

Asking: $16,000

Located: Martinsburg, WV

Owner: Jim Bell

(304) 263-8709

(571) 437-9656

29Buick27-7976sm.JPG

29Buick27-7979sm.JPG

29Buick27-7983sm.JPG

29Buick27-7987sm.JPG

29Buick27-7988sm.JPG

29Buick27-7989sm.JPG

29Buick27-7990sm.JPG

DSC_8146sm.JPG

• Like 5

It is a great car. I've ridden in it once and would add it to my garage if I was looking to add something of this era. It is in great show/driver condition and definitely priced right to move. Age is a terrible thing, and the owner just can't get around and drive these older cars anymore.  

9 hours ago, Kblake said:

Age is a terrible thing, and the owner just can't get around and drive these older cars anymore.  

In the near future I'm willing to bet that there are going to be a lot of vehicles showing up for sale because their owners are in the same situation. We boomers are aging rapidly. 

Beautiful car by the way.

On 4/22/2022 at 3:04 PM, TAKerry said:

Just a curiosity but how servicable are the wooden artillery wheels on this vintage of cars?

Basically, the wheels are not a major concern, if you understand them. They need to be inspected before you drive the car much, just to make sure there is no serious damage, rot, or other age related issues including shrinkage. If one or more wheels are bad, the cost to have them rebuilt is surprisingly affordable, compared to many wire wheels. And there are several very good wheelwrights in the country that do very nice work. The shorter spokes of the late 1920s and early 1930s seem less prone to shrinkage and wear issues. As long as the wheels didn't spend too many decades in the weather, they very often are still solid and quite strong! Surprisingly, solid wheels can sometimes still be found for many cars of that era. Finding the right ones? 

Wooden wheels on almost any automobile should be routinely inspected. How closely and how often varies with the size and weight of the car, as well as age of the wood, and how much and what type of driving one does. Once one establishes that the wheel is good and tight? Simple visual inspection occasionally is about all they usually need. Glance at the wheels whenever you walk by the car, or get into it. Glance at the ends of the spokes, look for rusty dust, or paint breaking away that might be caused by a spoke moving where it shouldn't. Paint does tend to crack and blister where the wood meets steel (and even where wood meets wood), so don't get too alarmed when you see some of that. But if the wheel is becoming loose, the wood, and sometimes even the steel, will begin to show wear or mushroom a bit.

Most of my experience with wooden spoke wheels is with earlier longer spokes. Even there, wooden spoke wheels are much stronger than most people realize. I have driven many thousands of miles in model T Ford speed cars with wooden spoke wheels, and most of those miles at speeds over sixty to over seventy miles per hour, or even at racing speeds on a more than half mile dirt track! I also have many miles in era Studebakers, a 1929 Reo, and a series 80 Pierce Arrow. Only one of those cars had a damaged wheel when I bought it. which I had rebuilt by one of the wheelwrights. Each of those cars, I put a few thousand miles on, and never a problem with one of the wheels. 

My model Ts that I drive? I inspect the wheels every year, and usually give each wheel a good grab and shake every few hundred miles. I do this largely because of the longer length and thinner spokes on the model T wheels, coupled with their age. They have a greater tendency for the spokes to shrink and loosen. If the wheels are kept tight, they can still last for a very long time yet. If run very far while a bit loose, the tenons can wear very quickly. The model T wheels I rebuild myself. The heavier and shorter spokes of the late 1920s cars require a bit more expertise to assemble properly.

People are afraid of wooden spoke wheels, because they do not understand them. The idea is strange, and they imagine the spoke suddenly shattering into a thousand toothpicks! Wheelwrights know what kind of wood to use, and the way the spokes, hub, and felloe are put together, creates a very strong yet resilient wheel.

People see photographs of automobile wrecks with broken wheels and imagine the wheel breaking and causing the accident. The fact is, that wooden wheels can be broken by collisions. Accidents can break wheels. Wheels breaking rarely ever cause accidents. CAN it happen? Yeah, IF you run a loose or damaged wheel far enough. But a good wood wheel should almost never break anymore than most steel wheels do.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thank You Wayne.

I am in the stomach of Amish country (just below the heart) If I ever came across a car with wooden wheels that needs repaired I could probably find someone close by. I have watched the wheelwrights in Williamsburg and yes, there is a science to building a wheel properly.

• Like 2

In the heart of Amish country should be easy access!

The Vintage Wheel Shop in Sonora CA is not well known, they don't advertise much outside the Western model T community. However their quality is well known, and they do wooden wheels for many non-Fords. It was a long time ago, but they were the ones that rebuilt the bad wheel for my 1925 Studebaker! And a beautiful wheel it was.

I don't offhand remember the name, or exactly where they are located? However in the Pacific Northwest, either Oregon or Washington, is another place that does very good work I have been told.

There was and I suspect still may be a wheelwright in Texas also.

But in the heart of Amish country is Stutzman's! (Ohio I think?) A real Amish wheelwright, does a lot of antique automobile wheels as well as carriage wheels for the Amish. A bit difficult to contact? His telephone is on the pole by the street. Or so I have told by people that know him. 

• Like 1