Newbie Trying to Learn -project for my sons and I to do together. I came across a 1951 DeSoto

streetsnake

Hello everyone. I’m brand new here. I’ve been looking for project for my sons and I to do together. I came across a 1951 DeSoto that seems to have had quite a lot of work done to it and includes much if not all the parts to finish it. Biggest problem is that it needs new frame rails but the rest of the car looks great. I’m just not very familiar with DeSotos at all but the price seems acceptable. Attached, hopefully, is a pic of the tag. I’ve tried to find out how to decode it but haven’t had much success. Mainly im looking for thoughts and advice on how to proceed and what im actually looking at. 

255F8EFC-2C04-4A77-A3AF-A4FDCEA81A1C.jpeg

Unless your sons are different from most, their attention span may not be long enough to complete such an extensive project. Rather than starting with something as complex and labor intensive as structural repair, I'd suggest a running, driving project that could show short-term benefits. Maybe a '70's car that may need minor mechanical repair, some minor body work, or other things that you and your sons could handle as a learning experience. That would give you a chance to evaluate their talents and enthusiasm. Worst case, if they abandoned the project,(in favor of sports, girls, etc), you'd be left with with something salable and not a pile of parts ready for the scrappers.

Just a thought - best of luck.

P.S.  I tried that with my son 20 years ago...still have parts out back!

• Like 5

Agreed, if you want a project that has a foreseeable end and some enjoyment look at cars that have good aftermarket support.  Chevy and Ford of course fit that description.  DeSoto is a nice car but Chrysler parts take more beating the bushes for body related parts sources.  

Old pickup might be a good way to go too.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

1 hour ago, streetsnake said:

Biggest problem is that it needs new frame rails

That's a big problem, a real big problem. I believe I'd look for something better as others suggest. What type of car/era is your son interested in?

• Like 5

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Newbie Trying to Learn -project for my sons and I to do together. I came across a 1951 DeSoto

Why would it need new frame rails? Collision damage? What else is twisted enough that it will never fit right? Butchery? What else was ruined by someone chopping up other parts of the the car? Rusted out? That would be the worst reason! Any car in a place that rusts away heavy frame parts must have done a lot more damage to most of the rest of the car?

If a lot of work has been done? What was covered up, how well or badly done were the repairs?

There can be good reasons to replace the frame rails, reasons that are still well worth rebuilding the car. However, generally speaking, needing to replace the frame rails is a huge red flag!

Also, I agree with some of the other comments about maybe too big of a project for a first time trial run.  A vehicle that is mostly together, but needs some work to become usable again, could lead to faster results and a satisfaction that might lead to taking on a bigger project later.  Early failures can lead to long term unwillingness to try again later. Or not? The "great family project" my dad bought when I was fifteen eventually became mine. And it is still sitting in my garage unfinished. Oh, I stuck with the hobby, because something in me knew I wanted to. I bought and restored a dozen cars over the years myself, including several that were worse than that first one. I am still hoping that I can have the time and money to spare to finish it. However both are still in short supply.

• Like 1

To my knowledge only Canadian DeSotos  had data tags with color and trim as in your picture.  US tags only had the body number on them.  If I'm mistaken, please let me know.  Canadian cars have subtle differences to US cars and it might affect getting correct replacement parts if you need them.

15 hours ago, Harold said:

To my knowledge only Canadian DeSotos  had data tags with color and trim as in your picture.  US tags only had the body number on them.  If I'm mistaken, please let me know.  Canadian cars have subtle differences to US cars and it might affect getting correct replacement parts if you need them.

It looks like the correct U.S. tag. The paint code for the car #305 is the color the tag is painted. Post some photos if you can. I also think it is the rockers that are bad, they were a problem on these cars, not a death sentence.

And welcome aboard

• Like 2

Looking in my parts book it shows two models for 1951, the S15S Deluxe and the S15C Custom.  Both were powered by the 251ci six engine.  In 1952 a V8 was offered for the first time.  Chrysler shared many mechanical parts across model lines which is helpful when looking for replacement parts.  As mentioned, bad rocker panels would be a lot easier to deal with than bad frame rails.  I will be glad to look up part numbers if you need them.  Good luck!

• Like 2

These are frame rails under the car on which the body is bolted:

Chassis Frame & Rails | Subframes, Crossmembers – CARiD.com

This is a rocker panel typically located just under the doors and part of the car's body, not the frame

image.jpeg.32ca33dac76ee5832930be4a20a33d01.jpegimage.jpeg.f26dc9f57a50bc9e7642765fc86b65ec.jpeg

STREETSNAKE: Please identify whichever one you are referencing in your question, and we can better offer assistance.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 1:15 PM, streetsnake said:

Mainly I'm looking for thoughts and advice on how to proceed and what I'm actually looking at. 

I agree with others...if your description of the car's condition is accurate, I'd look for a different vehicle. There's a '61 Pontiac 2 door HT near where I live that's been under a tarp for close to twenty years...I just drove past it again today. It was for sale at one time, but you didn't even have to get under the car to see the rust through on the frame. As much I've wanted a car like that, a frame damaged to that extent is generally the kiss of death to most old car people (unless it's like a Model A or something.)

If you end up looking for something else, keep in mind that some cars - starting in the late '50's or so - used unibody design, meaning the car doesn't have a specific frame, per se. There might be a frame section around the engine or elsewhere, but nothing that runs the length of the vehicle. It's a little more involved assessing the structural condition of these cars, as the body itself provides rigidity. Some rust is ok, but I'd veer away from any car that's real rusty, unibody or not.

I like the idea of an old pickup, if you don't have anything against such vehicles. The old ones are pretty robustly built. A running car is an advantage because a car that can be started and driven will reveal what it needs much better than one that can only sit there. Good luck, best wishes and welcome to the forum.