Orlando area car attractions?

victorialynn2

Hey guys, sorry I haven’t been on very much lately. Been getting my career ramped back up and taking care of my adult daughter, who became disabled due to a car accident almost 2 years ago. 

Anywho, I’m going to visit my son next month He has moved to the Orlando area. I was wondering if there are any must see antique car museums or other related attractions you’d recommend seeing? 

Hope y’all are doing well, and thanks in advance for any suggestions! 

• Like 1

Hey VictoriaLynn.  Sorry to hear about your daughter.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you and her.  Its so sad that several seconds of misfortune can turn multiple lives upside down forever.  A year or so ago a new car museum opened on the north end of International Drive in Orlando called Dezerland.  It's definitely worth the visit.  I put a thread about it with pictures under the Museums Forum.  Along with it is the display of Mr. Dezer's James Bond collection, which is definitely worth seeing as well.  Regards, George

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, George Cole said:

VictoriaLynn, you might also want to plan spending a day at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Center.  It would be another day well spent.  Lots of info about it on line, as well.  Regards, George

Yep, I enjoyed my visit to it and I assume the corvette is still there as well

• Like 1

Happy to see you back and sorry to hear about your daughter.  My youngest was diagnosed with the progressive from of Multiple Sclerosis at age 24 and is now 42.  Watching her deteriorate hasn't been easy.  Enjoy your good health while you have it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Old Town in Kissimme ( I think I spelled it right) has a recurring car show and cruise through on Saturday afternoons and evenings for the cruise.Worth going to,not sure if it's every Saturday but I could Google it. Also Turkey rod run in Daytona is twice a year in the spring which just passed and fall.Sorry about your daughter.

• Thanks 1

Good to see you back on the forum. Sorry about your daughter, hope all goes  well. Dont have any info on Orlando but dittos on the Garlits museum. 

Terry

• Like 1

I am down in my house about 10 miles north of the Garlits Museum working on it, something which I only seem to do when I am here. I heard of some some consignment dealers in the area also. I have a friend of mine in Lakeland (and fellow AACA member) who knows a lot of the Auto museums in the area. Also NPD has a huge collection but requires an appointment, you might be able to latch onto and existing tour, they are in Ocala as well, again a bit of a drive from Orlando

• Thanks 1

I have been to FLA more times than I could ever count, sorry to say I have never been to a car museum there. NPD (reproduction parts supplier) is headquartered in Ocala. A bit north of Orlando in horse country. Nice driving in the area. They are supposed to have a tremendous collection of cars. You should contact them if you have an interest as I am not sure if its open to the public or not. I have been told that by appt. one can visit.

• Thanks 1

Welcome back, my sincere best wishes for your daughter and you and all you both have to cope with. Your friends here will be a place you can look to for some relief, get your mind on to happy times and conversations.

• Thanks 1

Hi, VictoriaLynn!  Glad you're back...  I was also going to mention Old Towne Kissimmee, but I see others already have.  It's more like an old time amusement park, free to just walk around.  If you wouldn't mind posting, what is your daughter's name?  Maybe we can all put in a good word for her and you with the man upstairs.  All the best.   Greg

• Thanks 1

Agree on the Garlits Museum. Visited it on two of my US trips, not just drag racing, although there's plenty of that. Couple of dragsters there with Aussie connections, the "Vandal", originally run by Potters and Winter in California(?) and then campaigned from the mid 60's in Australia by Ash Marshall before being run by Ross Mellish. I contacted the museum by email about rectifying the display board but heard nothing from them. Also Ed Roth's "Yellow Fang" campained in Australia by George "the Bushmaster" Screiber as part of the 1966 Dragfest (Link to Facebook page about the Dragfest) when 5 US dragsters toured the country.

Also visited NPD on one of my trips, West Peterson put me on to that and an appointment was necesary. Besides the blokes working in the restoration workshop part, which you couldn't enter, I was the only one in the building at the time.

1st image - Garlits Museum

2nd & 3rd imAges - NPD

GARLITS.JPG

NPD.JPG

NPD2.JPG

• Thanks 2

V-Lynn, Saddened to hear about your daughter. You have already had your fair share of family hardship. Hopefully, there can be some continued improvement?

Robert G. Smits, Also saddened to hear of your youngest.

About thirty years ago, I lost a good friend to a rare early onset form of MS. He was about two years younger than I, and very involved in antique automobiles, restoring them, touring them, active in a few local clubs. He was in his early 20s when diagnosed, but kept it a secret for few years. Was about 26 when his symptoms became obvious and the secret could no longer be kept. At 29, he could no longer drive, so another good friend would drive him in one of his cars. At 31, had to be lifted in and out of his model T speedster for his last Endurance Run. At about 33 or 34, his family hid him away at a care facility. I managed to find out through a mutual friend (the one that drove him on his last Endurance Run) where he was, and visited him in the care facility about two months before he died. He was 39.

You and your youngest are in my prayers.

You and your daughter are also in my prayers V Lynn.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone, as usual, you have been a great help with so many suggestions. Thank you! I am sure I will be visiting my son and DIL often, and I will post pictures when I visit these museums. 

My daughter’s name is Tia. She has balance issues and is very sensitive to light and sound, which makes it nearly impossible for her to go anywhere. This is a picture of her and my son, Josh, from a few years ago, before her accident. I greatly appreciate all the kind words and prayers for her. 💗

24CD5FF2-A758-43C4-9A04-632269F63A85.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Victoria Lynn

So sorry to hear about your daughter - if you can find it, get ahold of Dale Earnhardt Jr's book on concussions, either paper or by audio book.  I won't speculate about anything medical, however, I found what he had to say to be extremely interesting from his own experience and just might be an area for to you explore.  Wish you and her the best in her recovery.  

• Thanks 1

Looks like two great kids! And, it appears she looks like her mother.

Life can change drastically in a fraction of a second. It could happen to anyone, at any time. We should all cherish the good we have while we can. Sometimes, these things may have been avoidable? Sometimes they come flying out of nowhere and nothing we could have done would have stopped it. In the end, the reasons or lack thereof do not matter. 

Do what you can to help your daughter. Try to help her find enjoyment in her life. But, also TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOU! That is also important for you and for her.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I will have to go back for another trip. My son came down with Covid while I was there, so we didn’t get to visit any of the great places you recommended. We were in isolation most of my trip.

It was still great to see them and we had a fun few days before that happened.