Steering wheel adjuster

rocken

Working on a 57 T Bird. The steering wheel adjuster collar has a small set screw that I assume is supposed to tighten to something in the column. The screw is frozen, and will not turn despite being soaked with PB Blaster for two days. The collar just turns and goes up and down the column, but the wheel does not move in or out. I tried to drill the screw in hopes of using an easy out or just retaping to a different size, but it must be a hardened screw as the drill bit won't even touch it. What is the correct way to remove the collar so I can take it to my machinist friend and have him remove the screw? Thanks for any insight!

Ken

Hi Ken,

This looks like a reposting of your original question. The short answer is the only way to remove the collar is to remove the steering column, since the collar is installed from the end of the steering column that connects to the steering box. Before you go in that direction I would try heating the collar with a heat gun and see if that helps expand things enough to get the screw unstuck. What kind of shape is the collar in? If it is rusty then you can be a little more aggressive about getting it out since replacements are readily available.

I'll ask again, what is the repair you are making that requires you to remove the collar? I can give you better advice if I know what you are trying to accomplish.

Lew Bachman\

1957 Thunderbird

Hi Lew,

Not really sure I need to remove the collar. I thought that by turning it that would move the wheel in and out. Guess that just loosens and tightens. When I turn the collar, it will travel about 3/4 of an inch in and out, not sure that is correct.   I will reinstall the wheel tomorrow and try moving it in and out. I'm working on the car for a friend, so lots of unfamiliar things!

Thanks!

Ken

Hi Ken,

When the collar is loosened it should allow the steering wheel a fore and aft adjustment of 2.25 inches. If your friends car only moves 3/4 of an inch than there is something wrong. Is this car original or has it been “restored” at some point? One thing you should check is the horn wire that goes down through the middle of the steering shaft and exits from the steering box. If that wire is catching on something in the engine compartment that could cause the problem you are having. Also make sure the turn signal wires that exit from the top of the steering column tube aren’t catching on something. If neither of those is the problem than you will need to pull the steering column or live with it as it is. I like having the full steering wheel travel. I am a tall guy with long legs and pulling the steering wheel closer to me is the best seat position that I have found.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

Hi Lew,

Put the wheel on, and I am able to move the wheel fore and aft, just a little harder than I think it should be. Might be that it has not been used for a long time. The collar travels about 3/4", not the wheel. Thanks for all your help!

Ken