Keys for 1928 Studebaker President

pdpbison

I bought a 1928 Studebaker President some while back, and now it is being transported to me finally from Delaware, to Kansas.

Seller can not find the Keys.

Can anyone here tell me if the Keys would have had anything distinctive to help seller identify them?

Car came from an old Estate which has several "Boxes or Drawers of Keys" of all different kinds, and if the Keys to my Car would have anything to identify them design wise or shape or if they said "Studebaker" it might help.

Seller is still finding "Boxes of Keys" but my Car is now on the way to me, so he no longer has any way to try them in the Door or Ignition.

Thanks!

Phil

22 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

They were made by Yale for Studebaker, and OEM keys have both markings on them.  

Even if the keys cannot be found, a good locksmith will be able to cut keys for it.

Craig

"Both Markings" meaning, the Keys - if original - would say "Studebaker" on them?

7 hours ago, pdpbison said:

Seller is still finding "Boxes of Keys" but my Car is now on the way to me, so he no longer has any way to try them in the Door or Ignition.

Is there any hope of the estate person being able to sell you all the remaining keys they found in the house, after they finish cleaning the place out?   Why would they need them if they don't fit the house locks? 

If it was my car, I'd be willing to send the seller a pre-addressed USPS flat rate small box which lays flat for mailing to him.   Sure would be nice to find the keys that way, if by gambling a few bucks it might pay off. 

(BTW, locksmiths in my area refuse to work on vintage car locks at all)

9 minutes ago, F&J said:

Is there any hope of the estate person being able to sell you all the remaining keys they found in the house, after they finish cleaning the place out?   Why would they need them if they don't fit the house locks? 

If it was my car, I'd be willing to send the seller a pre-addressed USPS flat rate small box which lays flat for mailing to him.   Sure would be nice to find the keys that way, if by gambling a few bucks it might pay off. 

(BTW, locksmiths in my area refuse to work on vintage car locks at all)

Thank you!

Nice idea!

I'll ask him!

See this post for some previous info on Studebaker door locks:

My Parts Book for 1928-1928-1/2 FA and FB cars shows the ignition key blank as p/n 170466, which was also used in later years, as noted in the referenced posts.  Generally, though, the cylinder can't be removed without the correct key, a problem in the steering column.  If the door lock is keyed the same (cross your fingers), then you might be able to take the door handle out and see if there is a key number stamped on the lock assembly.  The 170466 key was used in doors through 1936 or 1937.  The modern key blank would be O1122A or Y12; buy a blank at the hardware store and see if it fits in the locks.  A good locksmith may have the special cheater keys which can be used to open the lock.