57 Trunk Lock

rocken

Working on a 57 T Bird. Key for trunk lock just turns round and round.  Would I be successful opening the trunk by drilling the cylinder out, or should I remove the hardtop and try getting into the trunk that way?  Just wondering the best approach. Thanks for any help!

Ken

Ken, don't drill the cylinder out. You don't need to take off the hardtop either unless the car also has the softtop. If it does than you need to remove the hardtop and pull up the swingbar and place the softtop on the deck in the back. Move the seat all the way forward and hopefully the trunk isn't full of stuff. From there with a ratchet wrench and an extension you can remove the bolts holding the trunk latch on the bottom of the trunk and then you will be able to open the trunk.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

PS - It can be a tight fit depending on how big you are.

Thanks Lew. It has the soft top, waiting for some help to remove the hard top. Once that is done, I'll attempt to crawl in. Seat will not move either direction, may remove it anyway as I have some work to do under the dash. The seat is bolted from underneath, isn't it?

Thanks!  Ken

Hi Ken,

That is correct. The seat tracks have two stud bolts on each side that fit through the floor pan and the washers and bolts attach from underneath the car. Once you remove the hardtop it will be a whole lot easier to get the seat out and get into the trunk.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird