Two blondes in the back seat again and my wife doesn’t mind

SC38dls

We’ve had Gracie and her sister Sophie for almost 16 years. We lost Miss Sophie last June and felt it was time to get Grace a companion, so we went to the Carolina Poodle rescue to look at a 1 year old golden doodle they had gotten in. He ended up being to active and aggressive for Grace. They asked us to consider a 10 year old undernourished Standard Poodle they had rescued. He was a stud in an Ohio Amish puppy mill that had outlived his usefulness on a concrete wire run. They turned him in to the local animal shelter to be put down. CPR rescued him before that happened. He is kind, gentle, scared and nervous sometimes and very undernourished. He just wants to be near us and to have a hand on him or better yet be petted. He loves his nose rubbed and his ears scratched. The best part is he gets excited when I say let’s go for a ride!  
This is Lou, our new old pup along with Gracie in the 38. 
dave s 

ps - think about a local dog rescue if you want a riding buddy always willing to go. 

A79E6CA3-70C0-479C-8CA4-1CBE52A581F1.jpeg

B10DA137-EBDD-4F59-8F0F-73BB49DC24BC.jpeg

5749AC76-4BA2-4082-B694-B4F0B7A50121.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

And life is good , we can look at this and all the other nonsense in life we have to cope with takes a distant place when we can sense the affection of a four legged friend. Just so grand to read this. Thank you so much.

Walt

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Our heart went out to this pup. He spent 10 years on a cement dog run attached to a wire. He doesn’t know how to play or chase a ball. He has a lot to learn like sit and stay but at least he knows his name and come. He enjoys his back yard freedom and being with us on the deck. He’s smart and will become more confident as he trust us more each day. 
The outside of a dog is good for the inside of man and we are lucky enough to have two wonderful loving dogs. 
dave s 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Dave.......lots of my friends in high school and college dated blonds that looked like a dog. We use to call them double baggers. Most of them never adopted any of the "blond dogs", but one or two did marry them! 😉

• Haha 6

There will be a special place for you some day.

Sort of reminds me of a dog story of my own.

My 57 Buick was very recently finished with it's body off restoration and we were at a local show. For pretty much the entire day there was a big old mutt type dog running around the show field. He was having a BLAST. Just running and grinning the whole time. Stealing food, pissing on things, getting both petted and yelled at. I saw him getting a drink in the men's room (guess from what). The whole time my wife was fretting about what would become of him when we left. She just knew he was abandoned or lost.

I could see the hand writing on the wall.

When it was time to go she said "we are not leaving that dog". So.... there  he was. Sitting in the back seat with my wife, a seat that had NEVER before been sat upon, with his tongue hanging out and a big shit eating grin on his face, while I drove them from house to house looking for his owner.

We eventually did find his owner who said "yeah he does that but thanks for driving him home."

All's well that ends well............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Congratulations on your new friend. 

We pick up our second dog Wednesday. She is 8 weeks old and will be about 10 lbs when grown. We are hoping the little Morkie will fit in like the Cockapoo-Yorkie we have now.

• Like 2

Yep rescue is the way to go and fun when they can go for rides now and then!

We have gone from purebred German Shepherds (so smart but they can be willfull..) to rescues and now I am obsessed w Great Danes, Great Dane mixes.  We may need a bigger car...

• Like 2

Steve, Carolina Poodle Rescue has a poodle Great Dane cross we would have loved to brought home. We just don’t have the room they need. 
Miss Gracie and now Lou go for a ride every day. It is great fun watching them decide which window they will hang out of every day. 
dave s 

• Like 2

Ok since I posted her in the SL on the forum elsewhere already here is Patty mingling with people and dogs at a rescue fundraiser last weekend.  She was 2nd largest pup out of 40 or so dogs, Riley another Dane mix has maybe an inch on her... 😁😁

20220401_200921.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, SC38dls said:

Steve, Carolina Poodle Rescue has a poodle Great Dane cross we would have loved to brought home. We just don’t have the room they need. 
Miss Gracie and now Lou go for a ride every day. It is great fun watching them decide which window they will hang out of every day. 
dave s 

Must be a cool doggie!  

Life is better with a dog (or two, or...) 👍😁

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Life is better with a dog (or two, or...) 👍😁

We'll see about the 2 dog thing. Didn't make a sound all night until this morning when she needed out. Wife is very impressed. Don't know how an 8 week old can hold it all night but she did. 

• Like 3

Trying to adopt a dog is not easy here on long island if you want a terrier ( Westie, Scottie etc) size dog that is 2 to 4 years old. Not to many ( none) available in the NY Metropolitan area  . Can't even think about a puppy as I am of a vintage that trying to move fast enough to keep up with one is just beyond my reaction time/flexibility. 

• Like 2

Such an uplifting thread, Thank You!

I love the Furry Kids & support 3 local shelters continuously! For well over 10 years I had 2 dogs & 2 cats...ALL strays or rescues! They are the greatest & I truly believe they know they were saved.

Unfortunately over the last several years I lost all but one dog. (she is laying here on the couch with me right now!) She is completely lost without her son who passed back in December. He was diabetic & had cataracts which left him almost blind for 8 years. He received 2 shots a day for all those years & I am proud to say that between myself & my Parents...We NEVER missed a shot in all that time! Now that I am getting married again in July my little girl Sprinkles will again have a "buddy" to play with (Gucci) They get along great, she is 15+ & he is almost 8 years old. She sleeps a lot after he leaves! LOL

I picture Heaven as a place with all my Furry Kids waiting for me to get there. PLEASE ADOPT, DON'T SHOP!!!!!

There is a special place in heaven for those who adopt/rescue pets!!!!!!!

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

A couple of pictures...Sprinkles supervising my work in the shop & my Fiance' with both dogs early on a cold Sunday morning!

20220107_172358 (800x600).jpg

20220327_123949 (800x600).jpg

• Like 5

Bill when we lived in the western suburbs of Chicago (Wayne) we had five acres and a barn. We had 4 horses, 3 barn cats, 2 dogs and 1 daughter. The last explained the prior!  It’s was a fun family job taking care of all of them. 
dave s 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

Bill when we lived in the western suburbs of Chicago (Wayne) we had five acres and a barn. We had 4 horses, 3 barn cats, 2 dogs and 1 daughter. The last explained the prior!  It’s was a fun family job taking care of all of them. 
dave s 

They are the greatest!!!! Funny that you had horses as my Fiance' inquired just the other day about having one here recently. We can have one horse per acre, so we can have 2 & 1/2 but since Mom & Dad built a house next door on the 5 acres that came available about 10 years ago, we can now have 7 & 1/2....I am very interested in what that "Half a Horse" will look like! LOL

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Bill a little advice from a guy who cleaned stalls for 30 years. 
Don’t ever buy anything that eats while you sleep. 
dave s 

it was a great time no matter how much work. We started with a $900 pony that I swear cost me a couple hundred thousand $$$.  Land, barn, fences, trailer, truck it goes on and on. Then a bigger horse as my daughter grew up. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SC38dls said:

Bill a little advice from a guy who cleaned stalls for 30 years. 
Don’t ever buy anything that eats while you sleep. 
dave s 

it was a great time no matter how much work. We started with a $900 pony that I swear cost me a couple hundred thousand $$$.  Land, barn, fences, trailer, truck it goes on and on. Then a bigger horse as my daughter grew up. 

Girls and horses. Been there done that. Still doing it. Every time i plant one another one shows up. Oy vey.......bob

• Haha 2