33 CONVERTIBLE COUPE INFO

BONNIESMAN

SO I.M JON. I BOUGHT THE RED 33 CONVERTIBLE COUPE A COUPLE WEEKS AGO. IT CAME WITH ALL THE SHEET METAL. I.M LOOKING TO LEARN WHERE A LOT OF THE SMALL PARTS GO. I BELIEVE I HAVE THE PARTS FOR THE TOP BUT NEED A DIAGRAM OF WHATS SUPPOSED TO BE THERE..THANKS FOR ANY PHOTOS OR LINKS TO MANUALS

33 CONVERTIBLE COUPE.jpg

Edited by BONNIESMAN (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• BONNIESMAN changed the title to 33 CONVERTIBLE COUPE INFO

I am in the middle of a long-term build of my 34 Plymouth PE Convertible Coupe and can probably provide you with photos of just about anything.  What exactly do you need?  Will shoot you a couple of photos of the top irons installed when I get home tonight.  SMB

34peconv10.jpg

• Like 1

Dual side mounts,rumble seat. I think it's a really nice looking car..I was hoping to find some model roadster or convertible of this type..Manufacturer was never the most important seeing how hard it is to find one of any kind...I got lucky..I have a line on some 50s hemi engines and parts..Hoping to make a cool hotrod 

I have the sides and bas of the windshield.I have a part that looks like the top of frame but nothing like the car pictured..I have top parts just not sure if I have all of them..I have some wood bits also new wood taped to old wood..

1 hour ago, BONNIESMAN said:

I have the sides and bas of the windshield.I have a part that looks like the top of frame but nothing like the car pictured

You have the chrome upper piece that holds the glass.  That part is hidden by Scotts wood roof header that your car will also need.

11 minutes ago, BONNIESMAN said:

Windshield stuff and top parts

They removed/drilled out all of the folding roof pivot rivets because they were going to get the parts replated.

You already know, but yours was an old hotrod with engine mounts welded on, and mid 1950s Ford F100 front shock mounts bolted on the frame.

You got a deal on that very rare car with the parts.  You said you have all the sheetmetal, meaning fenders, hood, grille shell ?

33 Dodge always were very desirable in convertible coupe, pickup, regular coupe, etc.

Nice thing on mopars those years, they were not wood framed bodies.  Very little wood, and all can be fabbed at home if you are handy. 

I see a side door window chrome frame, that would be tough to find. Well worth bringing this one back.  BTW, many years ago Barbara Streisand had/or still has a 33 dodge convertible coupe resto rod.  

I had no idea what a great car this was..I just wanted this style and figured it was a good start..Hopefully I will be able to bring it back to life..I own a very busy shop and hope we can find time for this car..

You will love this car, the 33-34 Dodge and Plymouth convertible coupes, IMHO, are one of the best looking cars of this vintage, regardless of the original price point.  The body shells are the same for all four of them with minor differences.  Each one has its own unique dash and the 33 dash rail is different, 33 v. 34.  The 34s have vent windows and the 34 windows are much harder to find than the single-pane 33s, although it looks like you have yours.  34s have an independent front coil suspension while the 33 has a beam axle with parallel leaf springs.  The top irons are all the same but the Dodges are chrome plated while the Plymouths are painted.  Picture of the box of parts looks like you have most of the top irons, the wide steel channels (with the three holes in one end) are the B-pillars, the holes for the cast pivot where the irons fold down.  Attached are a couple of pictures from my files, I believe these are of a 33 Plymouth. I can send you photos of the individual parts from my top if you need them. F&J is correct, what you have is the top of the windshield frame that fits into the front wooden header.  Always glad to be of help with information, photos, etc.  Have fun, I was tempted to buy this one also but, as with Knobless, I already have too many projects going.  SMB

mvc-348s.jpg

IMG_1745[1].jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

33 ply 010.jpg

• Like 3

looks like I have new wood for the top but I'm missing the center crossover bow part that looks steel? I have the header part new wood also..fiure if I know what I need I can start looking for it. So glad I joined and connected with guys...thank you

• Like 1

I have a ton of learning to do.Not sure where to find serial numbers if there are any on this car..I will be moving forward slowly..I wish I had space for all of them..My shop is 5 bays and 1 bay is tied up storing old stuff...need another shop I guess..

As rare as this car is I think it would be best if left stock or mostly stock.  The frame and suspension can be made to work quite well with refreshed bushings, etc., they already have hydraulic brakes that could be 'updated' with the simple installation of a dual master cylinder on the original pedal assembly via an adapter plate that leaves the original parts intact (I did that on my 34 Plym sedan and it works great).  The flathead Mopar sixes are pretty much the same through the late 50s (with some minor changes in block length) and with a dual carb intake they liven up tremendously, which would give you the 'hot rod feel' without destroying a rare car.  Yours to do with as you please but I would suggest that a few updates would give you something very driveable.  My 34 sedan had a 50s Chrysler hemi in it when I bought it back in the 70s, they had to notch the front fenders to get it in,  and the prior owner said it handled like a truck and overheated all the time.  I sold that hemi (should have kept it, probably worth more now than the car itself...) and put a 6 back in it.  Great cruiser.  Keep us posted on the project and my offer for photos/info stands.  Serial numbers are typically stamped on the frame side, often over the rear wheel and on a plate screwed to the passenger door B-pillar.  May still have a body number plate on the firewall.  Engine number stamped on a boss on the front driver's side but it looks like you are sans engine.  Some Plymouths (coupes and convertible coupes) have a number stamped on the driver side of the firewall in the engine compartment, I believe for the convertible coupes those are sequential through 33 and 34.  The bow over the top is metal, a somewhat flattened-out oval tubing that is flattened out even more on the ends and screws into the sides of those metal box channels that form the B-pillar, think it is a fairly standard top material.  Will shoot you a photo of mine in another posting.  Have fun.  SMB  

On 4/12/2022 at 11:13 PM, Scott Bonesteel said:

You will love this car, the 33-34 Dodge and Plymouth convertible coupes, IMHO, are one of the best looking cars of this vintage, regardless of the original price point.  The body shells are the same for all four of them with minor differences.  Each one has its own unique dash and the 33 dash rail is different, 33 v. 34.  The 34s have vent windows and the 34 windows are much harder to find than the single-pane 33s, although it looks like you have yours.  34s have an independent front coil suspension while the 33 has a beam axle with parallel leaf springs.  The top irons are all the same but the Dodges are chrome plated while the Plymouths are painted.  Picture of the box of parts looks like you have most of the top irons, the wide steel channels (with the three holes in one end) are the B-pillars, the holes for the cast pivot where the irons fold down.  Attached are a couple of pictures from my files, I believe these are of a 33 Plymouth. I can send you photos of the individual parts from my top if you need them. F&J is correct, what you have is the top of the windshield frame that fits into the front wooden header.  Always glad to be of help with information, photos, etc.  Have fun, I was tempted to buy this one also but, as with Knobless, I already have too many projects going.  SMB

mvc-348s.jpg

IMG_1745[1].jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

33 ply 010.jpg

I have the beam front axle for 33 couple as well as rear end, also think I have the steering wheel with the box, bought all these parts years ago off of a guy street rodding a 33 coupe, if anyone is looking,