1935 Aetna's Automobile Show catalogs

Walt G

I am wondering if anyone reading here can tell me if any of the catalogs issued by the Aetna Insurance Company like the one pictured here for 1935 were published before 1934 or after 1935? I have the 1934 and 1935 examples. they are 4 1/2 inches by 8 1/2 inches and about 64 pages. They show most all; of the American made automobile using images provided ( from what I can tell) from the automobile manufacturers sales /promotional literature. Some makes have more then one page, all cars A to Z and some of the orphan makes like Brewster, Detroit Electric, R-R, Hupmobile are shown as well as the more prolific makes.

I know you are thinking - more weird stuff we have not really been aware of before.  I am trying to resort my study/library/archives and it is now obvious it will take a long time to accomplish. When I have a chance I will scan and post here a page of one of the makes so you can see what the inside looks like.

If you can answer my question please do so . I do not think there were more years then the two I mention . thanks .Walt

AETNA1935.jpg

• Like 2

Only those two years………..I have had several copies of each over the years………..two of our cars are in the books……….a PII & JN.

Thanks all, Ed you confirm what I had thought for decades as I have never seen anything besides the 1934 and 1935 booklets and have asked several collections if they had any and got the same reply. To bad they are really neat.

• Like 1

Walt, come on down and go for a ride in two of the cars in the book..............I'll buy you lunch at the breakers. Here we are this morning in the 32 show car.....yes, they have wheels and headlights.......drive them....night and day!👍

Todays drive was just under 50 miles. 

96A1608E-47C3-4A9D-B53A-B52050796FD1.jpeg.4cbadf921ceef0091f0c3c450a3ab4b3.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Ed, we are on the same avenue of thought about old cars. They have wheels, they are meant to be driven.

For decades I drove my 1931 Franklin Derham bodied victoria to and from long island to central NY state for the annual Franklin club gathering they call a trek.

I had to cross two main bridges in the NY metro area and depending upon the weather ( everything from 80+ humidity filled day to hours of steady rain) it could take up to 4 + hours to make the trip. along  interstate roads, average speed was between 53 and 57 mph up and down long grades along Rt 17 along the southern  edge of NY state. In a 2 1/2 ton car ( with a custom body the 2 door victoria coach work was heavier then a 4 dr sedan)  In 1972 I also traveled 80 miles round trip every day to work in a 1941 Packard 120 station wagon , the same car I drove with friends in all day rain to go visit Bill's junk yard in Valley Falls, Rhode Island..

Thank you for the invite I will take you up on it one of these days but currently the tv news reports that what used to be a $200 flight from long island to Florida is now $ 800 to $1,200 .

Walt, fly in to Columbia or Atlanta or Augusta or Savanna and I will pick you up in the 38 Studebaker and we will drive down together!  It would be a road trip to remember I’m sure. Between the two of us I’m sure we can drive Ed nuts!  
dave s 

3 hours ago, SC38dls said:

Between the two of us I’m sure we can drive Ed nuts

Hummmmmmmm aren't we doing that already from afar?  Can you just imagine the three of us together! in one place interacting , , would remind me of Huey, Dewey and Louie, or Moe , Larry and Curly. 

• Haha 1