WTB Chrysler 1946-50, 323.5 cu in, straight 8 engine block

I am restoring my straight 8 engine but the block has some pretty bad freeze cracks and I am hesitant in moving forward with it. I have all internals so I am really only looking for a good block, but I'd be willing to buy a full engine as well.

Thanks!

I searched about a year ago for a straight 8 engine to use in a Speedster project.  I advertised on several different forums and to my surprise did not find any.  However, Do not give up,   You will find one.   Advertise in the WPC club magazine. 

On 4/12/2022 at 10:29 PM, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

The block I am aware of is 1938.  No cyl head,starter. Has exhaust manifold. Would this work?

Thanks, but the 1938 block is different and will not work for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Martanke is Sweden,  I have sent you a earlier post saying at one time   about 1 year ago I posed some ads looking for a Chrysler straight 8 engine/tran.  I cancelled my project as I never found a engine.  Today I received a text asking if I was still looking for a engine.   I know nothing else about it but here is the # if you want to look into it.  Be careful with your money,   989-941-6022   from Don in Ohio

On 5/5/2022 at 7:09 PM, mark schuler said:

Hi, I have two Chrysler straight 8 engines for sale ,I don't have engine numbers w/o doing some looking, 30 years ago my father had a 1931 cd-8, so I assume my engines are about that era. 

I may be interested in one if they are for a CD. Where are they and do you have a price in mind? 

19 hours ago, DFeeney said:

Hello Martanke is Sweden,  I have sent you a earlier post saying at one time   about 1 year ago I posed some ads looking for a Chrysler straight 8 engine/tran.  I cancelled my project as I never found a engine.  Today I received a text asking if I was still looking for a engine.   I know nothing else about it but here is the # if you want to look into it.  Be careful with your money,   989-941-6022   from Don in Ohio

Thank you Don! I will reach out to the number you provided. Appreciate it.

Someone in Sweden or Norway must have a block/complete engine. Have you tried advertising in the Swedish WPC Club and other national multimake clubs/facebook groups? Several people like Göran Ambell who put a late-gen Hemi in his 40s Chrysler etc (believe his car was 6-cyl). I know about a dismantled block here in Norway for sale, but that is likely a 38 or earlier.

On 5/27/2022 at 2:17 AM, mark schuler said:

Hi Martanke, I'm sorry I didn't see your reply about straight 8 engines, I will look this weekend and find engine numbers. I'm located in Morrison ,IL 61270 United States.

Thanks Mark!

On 5/22/2022 at 4:18 PM, Narve N said:

Someone in Sweden or Norway must have a block/complete engine. Have you tried advertising in the Swedish WPC Club and other national multimake clubs/facebook groups? Several people like Göran Ambell who put a late-gen Hemi in his 40s Chrysler etc (believe his car was 6-cyl). I know about a dismantled block here in Norway for sale, but that is likely a 38 or earlier.

Hi Narve, I agree there should be something in the Nordic region, but so far no luck. I've found a couple of 1930s engines in Sweden (too old) and one guy who has a spare engine for his New Yorker but unfortunately is unwilling to separate the spare engine and car. I have not advertised in the Swedish WPC Club, will do so. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 4:48 AM, martanke said:

I am restoring my straight 8 engine but the block has some pretty bad freeze cracks and I am hesitant in moving forward with it. I have all internals so I am really only looking for a good block, but I'd be willing to buy a full engine as well.

Thanks!

Link above might help.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well no luck so far. I've now found an industrial engine (IND12) that may be a good fit but I've not been able to date it. Anyone here knows what years the IND12 were made, I assume they are a later version than the IND9?

I've also joined the Chrysler clubs (Sweden, Norway and US) and have wanted ads coming out in the club magazines.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Keep looking they are out there. 

Have you tried French Lake Auto parts? Been there and they are good people. 

French Lake Auto Parts, Inc. 
☎ 320-274-8497
🙋 3531 County Road 3 NW, Annandale, MN 55302
🖱 www.frenchlakeautoparts.com 

3 hours ago, Fossil said:

Keep looking they are out there. 

Have you tried French Lake Auto parts? Been there and they are good people. 

French Lake Auto Parts, Inc. 
☎ 320-274-8497
🙋 3531 County Road 3 NW, Annandale, MN 55302
🖱 www.frenchlakeautoparts.com 

We have 2 of the 1948 Flat 8s.

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2022 at 3:45 PM, DFeeney said:

I searched about a year ago for a straight 8 engine to use in a Speedster project.  I advertised on several different forums and to my surprise did not find any.  However, Do not give up,   You will find one.   Advertise in the WPC club magazine. 

Are you still looking for a straight 8?  Does it have to be a Chrysler?   I have a Oldsmobile straight 8 for sale...

ERIC

On 10/6/2022 at 2:30 AM, VW4X4 said:

Are you still looking for a straight 8?  Does it have to be a Chrysler?   I have a Oldsmobile straight 8 for sale...

ERIC

Hi,

Yes it has to be a Chrysler as I will re-use all my marine external parts.

EDIT: I now realize you weren't asking me, sorry.

Edited by martanke (see edit history)

On 9/15/2022 at 5:31 PM, DFeeney said:

Hello again Martanke,  This person sent me a text that he has a 1950 Chrysler eng/trans for sale today .  His number is 702-379-4668.  Good Luck,  Don in Ohio

Thank you Don, I got hold of him but he had already let the engine go.

• 4 months later...

Well I finally found one. It's a 1950 industrial engine (IND-12A) that appears to be in really good shape. I may even use some of the internals for the rebuild, so now I'm looking for a maintenance and parts manual to verify what will fit for my application. Anyone knows of one, please let me know.

Thanks everyone for helping me out!

3 hours ago, martanke said:

Well I finally found one. It's a 1950 industrial engine (IND-12A) that appears to be in really good shape.

Good to hear,

may you now have some external parts in spare? I need a oil pressure relief valve and a late 323 cui style oil filter mount (full-flow oil filter as found on 1946/47 and newer engines). These two items are badly needed for my 1947 race-car engine that now runs (but still has the two issues mentioned.

20230301_135658.jpg.e3b5cf26f55cd9f66db7a91ddcdc3997.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Narve N said:

Good to hear,

may you now have some external parts in spare? I need a oil pressure relief valve and a late 323 cui style oil filter mount (full-flow oil filter as found on 1946/47 and newer engines). These two items are badly needed for my 1947 race-car engine that now runs (but still has the two issues mentioned.

20230301_135658.jpg.e3b5cf26f55cd9f66db7a91ddcdc3997.jpg

I have parts for the late 40s engine. Send wants of what you need email.

Thanks

Dave

19498_929860057034388_2988649411348572195_n.jpg

• Like 1