Thermostat housing

63 RIV MOE

DO NOT USE A GASKET! Buy a tube of Permatex "The Right Stuff" and make a bead around the

circumference of the thermostat hole and around the bolt holes and bolt the housing down. It will never ever leak,

unlike regular fiber thermostat gaskets which almost always seep coolant.

• Like 2

That Rock Auto one is not correct as it's a universal gasket that will either leak or break the ears off the thermostat housing IF tightened too aggressively.

In the Felpro rebuild gasket sets have the correct ones.

I'll have to see IF I can find a part number.

Tom T.

I have been using The Right Stuff for years on intake manifold ends to block sealing, etc...and it is a great product. One of its advantages is that there is no setup time. Wherever one uses it, the vehicle can be used immediately...so it is great for shops, fleet work, etc. But I dont like to use any kind of gasket maker on cooling system components because it has the potential to "squeeze in" to the cooling system. I have often found significantly large chunks of gasket maker damned up around thermostats, etc. If there is a gasket readily available I usually use the gasket with a very thin smear of sealer. Every tech has his/her preference, especially when it comes to sealers, but that`s just mine.

Tom

Thermostat Housing Gasket.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, telriv said:

That Rock Auto one is not correct as it's a universal gasket that will either leak or break the ears off the thermostat housing IF tightened too aggressively.

In the Felpro rebuild gasket sets have the correct ones.

I'll have to see IF I can find a part number.

Tom T.

OK, then:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=120543&jsn=9

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Fel Pro 35063

Good day.

Outta curiosity, on the FelPro website, there is a note (Additional Fit Criteria) that the inside diameter is 2-1/2" yet the OP indicates 2-1/4" ID. Does that make a difference?

1224144646_Image2022-04-07at7_33AM.jpg.2db1c4593d0337d8eee7601d99ddf180.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Brian, finally the correct gasket. There's probably a Mahle or some manufacturer P/N on it. But no way a local auto parts jobber will have them in stock. This and many other "consumable parts", have to be ordered or online purchase. What a hassle!

43 minutes ago, 71GS said:

Yeah but he ships fast. I had it in a few days.

If you remember, I'm in northern Canada. I despise X-Border shopping contributing to multiple salaries with all those hardship fees.

I did have thermostat gaskets thrown-in with my last CARS order this year.

I know I'll have to order from south-of-the-border for a correct mechanical fuel pump. Doesn't have to be OE but that's the only way to go for correct fittings. Multiple flavours of fuel pumps for SBC from Summit.☹️

• Like 1

19 hours ago, XframeFX said:
20 hours ago, 71GS said:

If you remember, I'm in northern Canada

Oh yeah, didn’t think about that. We love going up there. Haven’t been since the pandemic started but hopefully this will be the year. ✌🏻

3 hours ago, 71GS said:

Oh yeah, didn’t think about that. We love going up there. Haven’t been since the pandemic started but hopefully this will be the year.

I'm going with a convoy down to Syracuse Natn'ls mid July. Riv staying in the west.

6 hours ago, telriv said:

Buy a SBC pump & change the arm.

TX, I considered that. But what lengths do we have to go to?

A SBC Delphi MF0190 w/dual 3/8" NPT ports and a roll pin for a pivot:

image.png.9989235893916fa42963bc8942bdaa89.pngimage.png.63531f287f2d940be79f574b131ae6a8.png