suggestions for gaining access to a shop press? Louisville Ky

Tom Boehm

I need to change the bushings on the lower control arm on a 1973 Dodge Dart. I've watched endless you tube videos on how to do this. I just need access to a shop press. This is not a portable tool that is rented. Local auto machine shop said he was too busy. 

Yes my local Harbor Freight store has them for $169.00. I don't want to buy something that I will use only once every ten years that will take up scarce floor space in my shop. I guess I should not be so stubborn. I don't have to keep it after I buy it and use it. 

• Like 2

Tom, stop at Bairds Auto Parts--they were old dirt track racers--may still have ons sitting around--but take it with you,,it's to easy to blow you of on the phone--if they can see it they may help you or senf you to someone that can--worth a trip----Tom                       ask to talk to Randy or Donald

Edited by 13CADDY
extra idea (see edit history)

Changing the bushings on a lower control arm can be tricky. Sometimes you have trouble lining up the bushings so they fit properly in the shop press. That's happened to me several times with Chevys.

Calling around to machine shops saved me time and money. Some wanted only $70 to do the job. Others wanted as much as $350.

If nothing else, you can always buy the shop press and sell it later on.

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2022 at 8:47 PM, Tom Boehm said:

Dodge Dart. I've watched endless you tube videos on how to do this.

There is a YouTube video showing how to remove the old one without a press.  He welded a thick washer into the bore of the bushing from the front side.  Then use a punch down through the big hex shaped hole where the torsion bar fits on the back side.  He placed the welded side over a piece of big pipe on the concrete floor to let the bushing get pounded through.  It was fast and easy. 

F&J, I tried that. The welds broke. I was concerned that there would be too much penetration and I would end up welding the bushing to the control arm. So I started over. Instead of a thin washer, I made my own disc from some 1/8" thick steel. I also welded the disc lower in the outer sleeve of the bushing to avoid welding the rim to the control arm. I took it to an automotive machine shop to have him do the press work. He agreed to do it since I had all the hard part and the set up finished. I will let you know next week if it all works out. 

• 5 months later...

Success. The guy at the auto machine shop did it successfully but I had to wait about two weeks till he got around to it. The whole front end rebuild has been complete for a few months now and it was a huge success! This car has been in my family since new and it has not rode this smooth since the 80's. 

• Like 1