Saw a Celebrity Car at local show!

TAKerry

51984244149_175f9e11f2_c.jpg2022-04-05_08-30-13 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

I was at a small local show on Saturday. This Rambler caught my eye, just so happens I was reading my latest edition of Crankshaft Magazine the night before. Turned out to be the same car. There is a young guy that owns it along with another. Talked to him for a bit, really good guy with lots of enthusiasm. 

Edited by TAKerry
hit enter too fast! (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• TAKerry changed the title to Saw a Celebrity Car at local show!
20 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

51984244149_175f9e11f2_c.jpg2022-04-05_08-30-13 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

I was at a small local show on Saturday. This Rambler caught my eye, just so happens I was reading my latest edition of Crankshaft Magazine the night before. Turned out to be the same car. There is a young guy that owns it along with another. Talked to him for a bit, really good guy with lots of enthusiasm. 

Thought you were talking about THE celebrity! 

120967D8-5D16-4C97-B6ED-5CE332A70673.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I remember them Chevy Celebrities. I had one that had that half computer-controlled carburetor. Never could make it run just right. Most of them back here in the rust belt melted away from the center of the doors down. 

I don't know what possessed me, but I bought a new Celebrity Eurosport in 1987.

Great name but...

It had no European influence in stying or handling.  It was devoid of anything even remotely "sport" related and I did not feel like a celebrity when driving it.  But I suppose calling it the

"Chevrolet Mundane Amerosedan"

probably would not have increased sales.

I sold it just 6 months later.

1987-chevy-eurosport-vr.jpg.8fe36da2c9eade52e873a07b6aab59e6.jpg

1 hour ago, John348 said:

I still have one, my in-laws bought it new in 1988. It has 42,000 miles on it.  It was about 2 months old and was in a bad accident and got painted so it held from getting a HPOF award, too bad still have the original window sticker

006.JPG

That wagon is neat. Glad to see one saved. 🙂 Dandy Dave!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GregLaR said:

But I suppose calling it the

"Chevrolet Mundane Amerosedan"

probably would not have increased sales.

I sold it just 6 months later.

I believe for a time, the Celebrity was "the best selling sedan" in North America until Honda overtook it with the Accord.  And Chevrolet has never regained that sales position since.  A typical case of GM not listening to the consumer and improving the product to maintain their 'best' standing.  Instead, they carried on with small design changes until 1990, and replaced it with the Lumina, which was not much of an improvement and never attained the sales figures of the Celebrity.

Craig

You are right Craig.  They also seemed to suffer from much braking complaints.  GM tried to pass it off as improper lug nut torque sequence but the real problem was poor quality and undersized rotors.