1929 Roosevelt Coupe Carburetor

dieselsubmariner

The domestic version of the 1929 Marmon Roosevelt came with a Stromberg type UX-2 carburetor, part number A-13042.

The export version of the 1929 Marmon Roosevelt came with a Stromberg type UX-2 carburetor, part number A-13142.

You have a far better chance to win an argument with the IRS, than finding a usable original UX-2.

This carburetor was constructed of zinc alloy, a.k.a. white metal, a.k.a. "pot" metal. According to a metallurgist I consulted some 40 years ago to test the metal, the early zinc alloy contained approximately 3 times as much lead as modern zinc alloy. It was his opinion that the presence of the extra lead caused the older zinc alloy to "grow" as well as change structure almost to a crystal-like substance. Metal when heated expands; but due to the brittleness of the changed zinc alloy, it simply cracks when heated.

When we acquired the remains of the factory Stromberg inventory in 1985, there were some new old stock castings still in the original boxes. Open a box and one would find either a very clean cracked casting...................or dust!

A gentleman in Australia has reproduced the U-2 castings; do not know if he ever reproduced the cross-flange of the UX-2. The UX-2 and U-2 share many components, but the "X" in the UX-2 means "cross-flange". 

If one should draw a straight line from center to center of the U-2, the line is parallel to the center line of the carburetor. The same line on the UX-2 would be perpendicular to the center line of the carburetor.

This is one instance where one should NEVER use the original carburetor if one plans on starting the engine!

If one wants a UX-2, then use reproduction castings.

If cost is an object, go aftermarket.

Trying to use an original is just simply dangerous!

Jon.

• Like 1

The Bendix carburetor pictured is actually a Zenith carburetor.

Bendix is to Zenith and Stromberg as General Motors is to Chevrolet and Pontiac.

The Zenith carb has a round tag about the size of a dime riveted to the body of the carburetor (the edge of the tag is visible in the picture). 

If O.E. there should be an outer circle and inner circle of numbers/letters. The outer circle will be the O.E. (eg Mack, Wisconsin, etc.) part number, the inner circle will be the Zenith number.

If aftermarket, only the Zenith circle will be present.

Note this is a straight-flange carburetor, and would require a "cross-flange adapter" to use on the Roosevelt.

This Zenith is an EXCELLENT carburetor, IF the calibration is correct for your application.

Jon.

• Like 1

Thank you Jon,

i just checked my pictures and i do not have a picture, showing the tag . i have to look at the car .

The carburetor is indeed mounted with a cross flange. 

I took the carp completely apart, cleaned everything out thoroughly and re-assembled it.

i will see how it runs,