215-65 r 15 tires

Barney Eaton

A Reatta owner called me today saying they were having a hard time finding tires for their 1990. 

I just did a search at Tire Rack and was surprised to find a very limited offering in that size.

have not looked at Walmart or other online sources.

What do you see in your area of the country.?

I purchased some Uniroyal Tiger Paw tires in the OEM size for my 88 not too long ago. Have yet to have them installed. Currently have Falken tires on the vehicle. Would have preferred Michelin however they seem to be unavailable anywhere or no longer produced in the proper size.

The one downside to some available tires is the speed rating is lower than the factory recommendation of an "H" speed rating. It isn't only the raw speed rating that may never be used, but it is also the stiffness and sidewall construction that does affect handling. I was just working with my EEPROM programming yesterday and the fuel cutoff is 125mph, which seems a pretty good match for the factory 130mph tires. Despite the relatively small size of our cars, they are as heavy as a LeSabre of the same year, and 65% of that weight is on the front tires. YMMV

Have always thought the Reatta wheels were just taken off the shelf and too small (smaller than my Fieros). Have changed most to 16x7 factory wheels with 225x60r16. Even these are getting hard to find. Fortunately I have a set of 17x7s.

ps for most tires the speed rating is bases on a specific tire pressure. Add 5 psi and...

pps am amazed the Roadkill guys are still alive.

Five weeks ago I purchased four Kumho Solus TA11 All-Season Tires from Amazon at $88.10/each (now priced at $95.20).  They were  shipped free from North Carolina to Los Angeles.

Tirerack had them priced at $95.00/each (now $102.00).  Not sure what possessed me to think of Amazon for tires.  But I purchased them using my Discovercard, which gets me 5% cash back to use for a future Amazon purchase (I'm grandfathered at 5% - I think most others using their Discovercard get either 1 or 2% cash back).

1 hour ago, handmedownreatta said:

225 60 15 seem to be available.

Slightly under diameter, about 3/8". 235/60 are about a tenth of an inch large. Not big amounts, but does have a small effect. Speedo tends to over report speed slightly with stock size.