-a good packing nut, 

-packing material for the seal,

-brass pin to hold the impeller,

-key to spin the impellerwith the shaft,

- a good fan belt. 

I can be reached on here via message or email at jtryloff@gmail.com 

Thank you very much. 20220326_164341.jpg.e5731ae07effcbbf9d1ae495c87f4e2c.jpg

It's still quite broken. 

I found shafts, packing material, gaskets, hoses, and clamps. But no impeller yet. 

Supposedly there is one at a friend of mines house. I'm going to check that out soon. 

I've also been searing for a machine shop to make a couple of them. 

I'll post whatever I end up doing. 

4 hours ago, JFranklin said:

Can't one be cmc'd from a billet? Or 3D printed in sintered bronze?

Now there seems many ways to have things made. How the heck did that thing get so broken?!

Here is a thread that you might find interesting. discusses 3D printing in metal about halfway down.

My best guess is rust build up inside the impeller housing causing drag on the impeller. 

Maybe the Studebaker National Museum has the original drawing for the impeller in the archives.  Give the part number to Andy Beckman there and explain what you need. For a relatively small charge, they can send you a copy of the drawing.  That would make the rest of the job much easier. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

Maybe the Studebaker National Museum has the original drawing for the impeller in the archives.  Give the part number to Andy Beckman there and explain what you need. For a relatively small charge, they can send you a copy of the drawing.  That would make the rest of the job much easier. 

I will do that on Monday. Thank you. 

3 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

Exactly. 3D printing is the simple part, it's the math needed to feed the printer that takes all the work. I didn't think the museum had drawings back to the early/mid 20's but you don't know unless you ask.

Hi @J Tryloff,

I'm the guilty friend of @Stude Light. I've been running my '14 SC-4 with a Johnson/Evinrude rubber impeller. Through the wonder of the forum I found my post on the topic:

It did take a little bit of trimming of the rubber to fit, but in the long run, it has been a fabulous solution. These pumps were not the most efficient from the factory, but with the new impeller, I've had to add a restriction in the system (3/4" neck down in the outlet of the engine) to prevent the radiator from overflowing. The car has never had issues even on tours of roughly 100 miles in one day.

I'm not certain how this translates to the Special Six, but it might be an option. The rubber impellers aren't that expensive, and could be a temp solution to get the car back on the road.

Good luck!

Rusty Berg

15 minutes ago, rustyjazz1938 said:

Hi @J Tryloff,

I'm the guilty friend of @Stude Light. I've been running my '14 SC-4 with a Johnson/Evinrude rubber impeller. Through the wonder of the forum I found my post on the topic:

It did take a little bit of trimming of the rubber to fit, but in the long run, it has been a fabulous solution. These pumps were not the most efficient from the factory, but with the new impeller, I've had to add a restriction in the system (3/4" neck down in the outlet of the engine) to prevent the radiator from overflowing. The car has never had issues even on tours of roughly 100 miles in one day.

I'm not certain how this translates to the Special Six, but it might be an option. The rubber impellers aren't that expensive, and could be a temp solution to get the car back on the road.

Good luck!

Rusty Berg

I'm pretty willing to give that a shot. A quick Google search was not showing any impellers that looked large enough to trim down. I'll have to search harder or go to the local boat shop.

• 3 months later...
On 7/10/2022 at 1:19 PM, wborh said:

did you have success?

Will 

I had no success making one from a rubber impeller. I did get a cad design made from the good one. Should I ever need another I will have that file to have one made. 

Also, on the advise of another collector, instead on using a split pin to set the impeller to the shaft, I used a machine screw and nut. Along with the square key. I do think I overtightened the packing nut and am going to repack it and take a little more time making it nearly seal. I do have a spare shaft but would very much like to not pull it all back apart. 

I've had the car on quite a few drives since repairing the water pump. It is very evident that this car has not pumped water in some time. Tons of rust, both chunks and fine power, had plugged the radiator that was in the car when I purchased it. The car came with a radiator that I thought was the correct one, so I wasn't concerned. I had the thought to be correct radiator restored at a local shop and attempted to install it. It turns out it was an earlier model radiator. So I traded it for the correct radiator and then had that one restored too. I'm still flushing water out after every drive and I get the occasional chunk in the top tank that I pick out with long needle nose pliers or a magnet. I think over the winter I will pull the radiator back out and have it cleaned again. As well as flush the engine more thoroughly with a large barrel in place of the radiator. 

20220422_132447.jpg

20220527_195904.jpg

20220618_165936.jpg