65 splash sheilds

RivVrgn

The rubber part on these have seen better days. Has anyone replaced this part and with what? I guess any kind of durable rubber would do. I've done this before years ago but I had some scrap stuff laying around and it worked. Don't know what it was from. Thinking about maybe just a rubber mat of some sort? suggestions? 

Thanks Joey

IMG_0597.jpg

Sometimes it is fun to DIY than pay for a reproduction. Some repros cannot compare to home made items. You can find a large selection of sheet rubber at McMaster Carr. The other side is buy the repro it works and saves you time.

I’ve included a picture of my rubber work for the engine bay inner fender splash protectors. I do not think people make them any longer.

BFCFB728-34EF-457D-99E8-FEB44A5AFFFC.jpeg

1 minute ago, Turbinator said:

I’ve included a picture of my rubber work for the engine bay inner fender splash protectors.

Looks good. Bob, did you re-use the clips? Those are hard to find. Scarce like trunk cardboard clips on the hinges.

Maybe not splash shields but some repro items are dye cut. Accuracy I can't duplicate by hand especially after a strong X-Large coffee!😆

As Ed said these A-arm splash aprons are available from several different sources. I did mine a few years ago and they were an excellent fit. The clips may be in rough shape, get damaged in removal or be gone altogether. I have a set of the clips if you or anyone else needs them.

Bill

8 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Looks good. 

XFrame, I inherited the metal pattern used to make the splash guards in the photo. I traced the pattern on to a thicker gauge rubber at the request of a customer. I hunted for the original rectangular head fasteners with no luck. However I did find a substitute? But I thought the ones I got were better clips. I found a real good fastener that has the ability to tighten. The original rubber I believe to be butyl rubber the gauge used to make inner tubes.

I have some of those trunk card board clips that go on the hinges. I’ll find them someday when  looking for something else. I think I’ll wash the guards and get a better picture.

Once I saw a set for sale for $100.00 with the appearance of the correct fasteners at Best Offer Counts. My customer said he bought a set of aftermarket splash guards that were very poor quality and did not fit. So much for at least one source. Best Offer Counts has good merch, I was not reflecting on his goods. “Just remember, when you deal with the Turbinator you always come out a winner. Sooner or later you are going to need the Turbinator,” ( I get a charge out of entertaining myself.)

• Like 1

I'm not looking for the whole splash shield just the rubber, no need to buy repop. These aren't the a-arm these go behind the headlights inside the fender. When I got this car most of the trim stuff was in totes and the trunk, try to remember where things go from a 65 I had a while back. been interesting. 

I'll check Mcmaster, see what they got for the rubber.

Thats some pretty fancy carving work Turbinator, what did you use to cut so precise?

thanks Joey

4 hours ago, RivVrgn said:

I'm not looking for the whole splash shield just the rubber, no need to buy repop. These aren't the a-arm these go behind the headlights inside the fender. When I got this car most of the trim stuff was in totes and the trunk, try to remember where things go from a 65 I had a while back. been interesting. 

Thats some pretty fancy carving work Turbinator, what did you use to cut so precise?

thanks Joey

Joey, I had the metal template for right and left side. I laid the template on the rubber them outlined metal template with a white sharp point paint marker. If you are saving money check McMaster Carr for the rubber and postage to see how it compares with Rubber Done the Right Way. The internet is not good for finding sheet rubber goods. McMaster Carr was surprisingly less expensive for the rubber than Amazon. McMaster Carr is typically more expensive than everyone else BUT their goods are top notch and made her in the US.

20 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Looks good. Bob, did you re-use the clips? Those are hard to find. Scarce like trunk cardboard clips on the hinges.

Maybe not splash shields but some repro items are dye cut. Accuracy I can't duplicate by hand especially after a strong X-Large coffee!😆

XFrame, pics of engine bay splash guards.

74BC93E9-6563-431F-BCCB-306258C717DC.jpeg

AC1C0EAD-0FD7-4DBE-86FC-DD5288B66D10.jpeg

BCFA1C2E-0A68-46EA-8907-566F75D2B99D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

These were sold to a customer. Customer had purchase a set from another company. The customer was not satisfied with his opinion of durability. I found sheet rubber a tad bit thicker than the butyl rubber that is used for inner tubes and the inner fender splash guards. I supplied a pretty good fastener ( not stock) that fit the splash guard hole. The fastener had a screw already started to tighten the fastener in the hole. Let me repeat,not stock, but strong. There are plastic white fasteners that have a rectangular head, but too big to fit in the hole! Of course you could open the already drilled hole to fit the plastic fastener with the rectangular head.

If you look closely at the 1st. post of RivVrgn you will see cord hanging from the rubber. For the most part they are from the flat sidewall of a passenger car tire. I'm sure readily available from any number of tire stores from their junk pile/used casings.

The ones inside the engine compartment/splash shields. Again if you look closely they have lines in them exactly like an inner tube. They appear to be the same thickness as an inner tube.

Something else to ponder as these can usually be picked for free.

Just my thoughts of the subjects at hand.

Tom T.

• Thanks 1

If you’re interested, I’ll find the source from whom I bought some new OE style fasteners.  I had to buy 100 of them but found a couple of other guys to take lots of 25 off my hands.  It takes about that many to fasten all the shields in place.

On 4/4/2022 at 2:43 PM, telriv said:

If you look closely at the 1st. post of RivVrgn you will see cord hanging from the rubber. For the most part they are from the flat sidewall of a passenger car tire. I'm sure readily available from any number of tire stores from their junk pile/used casings.

The ones inside the engine compartment/splash shields. Again if you look closely they have lines in them exactly like an inner tube. They appear to be the same thickness as an inner tube.

Something else to ponder as these can usually be picked for free.

Just my thoughts of the subjects at hand.

Tom T.

Yeah Tom that's about what it feels like. I know its fifty years old but can't imagine it ever being flexible. They are held on with some very sturdy staples too.

Found a local source for some sheet rubber going to go by there see what they got. Might see about making my own a-arm slash shields too.

Joey

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2022 at 8:59 AM, RivVrgn said:

I'm not looking for the whole splash shield just the rubber, no need to buy repop. These aren't the a-arm these go behind the headlights inside the fender. When I got this car most of the trim stuff was in totes and the trunk, try to remember where things go froma 65 I had a while back. been interesting. 

thanks Joey

joey, had a metal pattern plate I made from another pattern plate. Outlined the rubber with a white paint marker. Got a real sharp pair scissors and took my time. I find sometimes making your own is better than what you can buy. Sometimes. Of course you have the satisfaction of knowing what is in the part/item you made. Steele and Rubber done the Right way are great suppliers. If their rubber is 3/32nds thick I'd be surprised. thank you for your comments and interest.

Bob Burnopp

On 4/6/2022 at 4:52 PM, BulldogDriver said:

If I remember correctly had to get two sets.

ray, if you got two sets you have a spare on hand. ( unless you have two Rivs) Thank you for the information. Ive used Steele and Rubber the Right way and found them to be great suppliers. Your build looks great. I know a lot of time, effort, and skill was invested in your design. The car will be "Top Shelf".

Turbinator

• 10 months later...

There should be more than 3 pieces in a kit. There's one behind each wheel as shown. There's two small ones on either side the radiator support that I think is useless unless you are planning on driving in rainstorms. The big ones and the ones at the back of the wheelwell keep the road dirt out of the engine bay. I make my own from 3/32" masticated rubber as others said above.

water shield.jpg