1909 Model A - First Drive

Akstraw

I bought a 1909 Model A back in October 2021.  After much reading, tinkering, and experimentation, I was able to take it on a first drive today.  It has been quite the learning experience.  I finally achieved success using the Amal carburetor as suggested in David McCredie’s book.  I just couldn’t get the Maxwell carburetor to perform under load.  I tried a Holley NH, which was better, but still weak on acceleration, and unreliable under load.  The Amal seems to respond well under acceleration and load, and is very reliable in starting, using the tickler.  

I am using the original buzz box coils, but the modified timer using the fifties Chevy points.  Balancing the timing between the two cylinders was a key milestone.   I think it will improve if I redo the spark advance control linkage with tighter tolerances to eliminate the slop.  I tried it both with and without condensers in the system.  Wondering whether others use a condenser.

2DB6BF81-264C-484F-B9FD-4080D75E478C.jpeg

Edited by Akstraw
added info. (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Looks great, I am glad the Amal worked out.

I have the ignition timing on mine set at TDC fully retarded and about 32 deg before TDC fully advanced.  

David McCredie

The model A has trembler (buzz) coils. There is a condenser in each coil unit, so I’m guessing Akstraw is talking about putting a regular condenser somewhere else. There are no regular points in the buzz coil system. The Chevy points in the timer circuit are used to connect the buzz coil to ground at 6 volts and trigger the coils.

Am I understanding Akstraw properly?

Frank Cerutti 

LD9024

Townsville, Australia 

Andrew, you have got the model A to a very high standard. The carburettor can take some work, and there is an article in David McCredie's book which sets out the adjustments. I have sent a PM.

Frank Cerutti 

1909 Maxwell LD9024

Townsville, Australia

Once I tighten up the ignition system, I would like to go back to the Maxwell carburetor to see if I can get it to work more reliably.  I would like to try the tapered needle as suggested by the late Vern Campbell.

I dont know about the spark/throttle linkage on something so early, but mcmaster-carr has 10-32 rose eye/heim joints/tie rod ends that do wonders for taking up slop in my later linkage.  Also in other threads of course, mine just needed that small size.  The pivots are tighter, easy to adjust slack, any misalignment in the monkey motion levers is taken up by the swivels and they dont look out of place.