1911 Christie Fire Engine

STEVE POLLARD

Jay has all the fun. 😁 Need to kick some tires and trade stories of making the almost impossible run again with him someday. He ended up with a Duesenberg chassis that was not far from here in "Notorious" Red Petorious's yard. It was in Saugerties, NY. One day years ago I was over there helping a friend that bought an old car load it. Red looked at me and said, "You know how to run that dozer. Get on it, bring it down here, and load that car with it." I did not know him that well at the time but he must have seen me operating equipment at the antique engine shows. It's a small world. Dandy Dave!

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, JAK said:

My recollection was it was a model A Duesenberg and it was in the basement of his house. Much more than just a chassis.

Went to the LA area but not to Leno at that time.

Was it a stock chassis or old race car? There was an old Ira Vail Duesenberg race car in South Salem, New York that raced locally in the 1920's. 

Bob 

A friend of mine was trying to buy it at the time. He was told to stop bidding as Jay Leno was the one making offers beside him. It could have been someone Jay sent to get it to take him out of the loop. As I remember it was in an old storage trailer back from the road a bit with other trailers around it. There was a teens Cadillac Hearst/ flower car in the garage that was there also that was neat.      

5 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Was it a stock chassis or old race car? There was an old Ira Vail Duesenberg race car in South Salem, New York that raced locally in the 1920's. 

Bob 

That I could not tell you. And old Red has been gone for years. Dandy Dave!