Truck in a Texas Tornado

JamesR

None of his friends would have ever believed it!

One day, at closing time, my father dashed to his truck to avoid a fast arriving storm front. I stood in the doorway while it passed...and was treated to the sight of the strongest wind that I'd ever seen, 100% horizontal movement of rain and debris. After it passed dad came back. It had lifted the rear wheels of his 96 Ram right off the road. It was just a category '0' twister. We lost a garage door and a bunch of shingles, but the warehouse down the street had a wall pushed in.

• Like 1

17 year old driver was looking at his phone and didn't even SEE the twister he was driving into. He was rolled twice and spun once, then resumed driving away from the twister in the opposite direction he was first headed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Believe it or not...I encountered a somewhat similar storm scenario in my own truck over 20 years ago in Nebraska, only on a much smaller scale. It was about 3% the intensity of what you saw on the video, if not less than that. I was in my '94 Chevy S-10, and traveling west on the interstate, which was under heavy construction. There were storm warnings out, and the severe wind had kicked up a lot of the dirt that was along the side of the highway from the construction.  In a flash, some swirling dirt ahead of me went into kind of a funnel shape, but the funnel only went up about 60 feet or so.

This was about a couple of hundred yards ahead of me , and - needless to say - I was very alarmed, but then the funnel of swirling dirt disappeared, so I figured nothing would come of it. However, when my truck got to where the funnel had been a few seconds earlier, it felt like I hit a brick wall made of air.  I was doing about 60 at the time, and the air/wind/whatever immediately pushed my truck over 12 - 18 inches to the left. I drove on without incident. I figured what I ran into was a gigantic "dust devil" as we used to call them, but a friend of mine who was a storm tracker said it could've been the makings of an incipient tornado. Who knows what it was? 

I saw the video on the weather channel. Makes me glad I dont live in tornado alley. We have had a couple of smaller 'twisters' hit our area but they are few and far in between. Looks like New Orleans did not fair so well either, hope Marty R is ok.

If I was the owner of this truck I would leave it as is and consign it at the VERY NEXT car auction. Fame only lasts for a few minutes.

• Like 1

It looks like it spun around while on its left side.   That's comprehensive loss for his insurance, with this film. 

Without the film the left side damage is a collsion loss that may effect his premium rates..  If he was drinking,

he won't know what happened.   El Camino Billy is correct, underware needs replaced if he was sober. 

Edited by Paul Dobbin
LEFT side (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Just looks like a security guard on his normal route heading for the next key station.

We used to say a guard could walk in the power plant door with his eyes fixed on the key station and never notice a fireball roll in front of him.

On 3/23/2022 at 12:04 AM, Studemax said:

17 year old driver was looking at his phone and didn't even SEE the twister he was driving into. He was rolled twice and spun once, then resumed driving away from the twister in the opposite direction he was first headed.

Glad you made it through unscathed, Stude…(to profess that much detail about what the driver was doing one would have been there.) 😁

23 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

Here is the aftermath. 

nc_pkg_kxan_tornado_truck_220323-26qfzs.jpg

Looks like it's already out to pasture with the Cadillac or whatever it is.

Next day: There was an interview with the driver on the news this morning. He was on his way home from a job interview at a burger joint. He got the job.

It was also mentioned that he had had offers from dealers for new pick ups. Although no details on that.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

We used to say a guard could walk in the power plant door with his eyes fixed on the key station and never notice a fireball roll in front of him.

I wonder how many people under 50 know what you are talking about.🤔

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Glad you made it through unscathed, Stude…(to profess that much detail about what the driver was doing one would have been there.) 😁

In an interview, the kid said he never saw the tornado. The only way anyone could miss a monster that size howling away just feet from your truck is if he was consumed with that tiny little screen in his hand.

I hear on the morning news that ether Chevrolet or the dealership gave him a new car. I can see the new Chevy commercials now, "Chevy trucks are tornado tough"!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1