Columbia 2 Speed

I have just acquired a 1937 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe. The owner's manual is silent as to the 2-speed rear end. Is there a minimum and maximum speed for engaging and disengaging overdrive? I understand that it should only be engaged/disengaged while the car is in motion. What is the proper procedure for engagement/disengagement? Thank you in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

From what I have read, and the way I drive my '39 is much like driving a truck with a 2 speed read end.  Bring the car up to the speed that you would normally shift into the next gear (if there were one), about 35 - 40 mph, pull out the shift knob, then depress the clutch to make the shift.  It's designed not to shift until the clutch is depressed.  The same is true for downshifting (yes, the car needs to be in motion), but I usually shift out of overdrive around 5 - 10 mph. 

I'd be interested if anyone out there feels differently about the above, but this technique has so far served me well, knock on wood.  Enjoy the car.  columbiatwospeedparts.com is wealth of information about the Columbia and it's proper maintenance.

• 2 months later...
On 4/10/2022 at 7:35 PM, wem said:

From what I have read, and the way I drive my '39 is much like driving a truck with a 2 speed read end.  Bring the car up to the speed that you would normally shift into the next gear (if there were one), about 35 - 40 mph, pull out the shift knob, then depress the clutch to make the shift.  It's designed not to shift until the clutch is depressed.  The same is true for downshifting (yes, the car needs to be in motion), but I usually shift out of overdrive around 5 - 10 mph. 

I'd be interested if anyone out there feels differently about the above, but this technique has so far served me well, knock on wood.  Enjoy the car.  columbiatwospeedparts.com is wealth of information about the Columbia and it's proper maintenance.

I never operate the Columbia knob unless the clutch is push in first. I know that it’s not supposed to shift until the clutch is pushed but I’ve seen what it can do if it happens to shift under power. It leaves an ugly mess. Expensive too !