Founders Tour Mobile Alabama

Terry Bond

Time to start a thread for the Founders Tour- Sue and I came modern and will be hitching rides with members during the week. That's always one of our favorite things to do when we can't bring a vehicle. We came early to visit our son who lives nearby. Sunday we visited Jim Hendersons great museum and had a fantastic feast of steamed shrimp,, crawfish, corn, baked beans,, potatoes, etc.   Later that evening we had a social on the hotel patio, once again with more food than we needed. These folks know how to eat!!!

Today was a drive to soak up some Mardi-Gras history. We got up close to floats, visited an incredible museum and got to visit the store that sells all those trinkets and fancy costume pieces seen in the parade. We meandered through old neighborhoods admiring the fabulous homes and ate too much again downtown in a tea room. I usually get a simple BLT as they are "normally" a light lunch,  however this one was enough to feed two people. Did I mention these people know how to eat!

Weather is mild, light breeze and no humidity. About 60-some cars entered and all are beauties. Only casualty today was a Ford generator that quit generating, but it'll get rebuilt and reinstalled this evening. The owner smiled and laughed-said his car just died at the entrance to an old cemetery. 

I'll try to post a few pics as we get through the week. Wish you were here.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Still having fun. Threatened rain blew on by so we still had pollen on the cars at the end of the day. Rode over to Dauphin Island today for a dose of history a look at the ocean, a visit to a great aquarium and more great seafood. Saw shrimp boats up close and ate too much again. Finished the evening at a real Speakeasy decorated as a tribute to Ernest Hemmingway. We are still amazed at the beautiful old homes downtown. Looking forward to Buzzy Day tomorrow. Forecast is great and everybody is rolling along. 

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

Another good day on coastal roads headed over to Biloxi. Lots of great scenery. Beautiful homes. Made several interesting stops. Got to ride today with the Froelics in their 57 Ford. Wonderful car. As they were very familiar with the area we had the added advantage of a personally guided tour and learned a lot of local history. Had another fantastic Gulf seafood feast at lunchtime then finished the day at the home of Jefferson Davis. Wonderful museum there. Made us glad to see history being preserved rather than swept away. 

Today was Buzzy Day and tonight we'll be at the usual Buzzy ice cream thing with a five minute meeting, then enjoy each other's company. Think everyone traveled safely today. At least we didn't see anyone along the roadside. Weather- rain last night and cooler today but low 70s in this part of the country is perfect. Spotted an antique shop on the way back and I think I can catch it before closing. 

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

Just wrapped up another day touring in beautiful cool, sunny weather. Toured through several historic neighborhoods in Mobile. Beautiful stately homes wrapped in gigantic moss-covered live Oak trees. Toured a mansion and learned more fascinating Mobile history. Everywhere we've had guided tours the docents have been fantastic. After another great seafood lunch downtown on Dauphin St. we drive to the airport to tour the Airbus educational facility. Great interactive displays made amateur pilots out of some of us. We learned how airplanes are actually assembled. Certainly a lot more complicated than when I built them from model kits. Squeezed in a little antique hunting on the way back to the hotel but didn't find much.  Only a few probs on the tour. There were a couple of generators that got overnight rebuilds, and one car needed a new battery. Tomorrow we're headed over to Fairhope fir more history and more seafood.  Will post some photos when I get home.

Terry

Between now and my last post, we visited the zoo, some neat shops in Fairhope, and spent a day on the Battleship Alabama. The museum there was fantastic and the Battleship was amazing. Also available to tour was a WW2 submarine. Earlier that morning we had a coffee stop at the Deep South Region clubhouse. What a great time, with more beautiful buildings to see along the way. The final banquet was great with good food once again. It was the kind of week nobody wanted to see come to an end. More pics coming once I get them downloaded to my computer. Hats off to Deep South Region members for a fun week.

Terry

• Like 1