Need Help With Head Assembly ID

Loco 90

This looks familiar but I am having a brain lapse as to what it is. I am thinking commercial or firetruck?  Single spark plug and "L" head valve arrangement so nothing too fancy or exotic.  The design is familiar to me but I am drawing a blank. Layden Butler can probably help.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, motoringicons said:

This looks familiar but I am having a brain lapse as to what it is. I am thinking commercial or firetruck?  Single spark plug and "L" head valve arrangement so nothing too fancy or exotic.  The design is familiar to me but I am drawing a blank. Layden Butler can probably help.

Just what I have been thinking also. Been there, seen that, Can't remember. Agree with commercial vehicle. A lot of early fire trucks had twin ignition. These are clearly one plug per cylinder. Also, with approximately a 3-1/2 inch bore, not a real large engine.

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Last night I was looking for what engine was used on smaller 1917-1919 Paige, found a statement they were Rutenber 6-cyl.  That led me to the wikipedia page on Rutenber engines, and there's a photo on the upper right of the short wiki page that shows heads similar to these on an engine in a museum.  Partially obscured by a misspelled plaque, however.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutenber_Motor_Company

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grimy said:

Last night I was looking for what engine was used on smaller 1917-1919 Paige, found a statement they were Rutenber 6-cyl.  That led me to the wikipedia page on Rutenber engines, and there's a photo on the upper right of the short wiki page that shows heads similar to these on an engine in a museum.  Partially obscured by a misspelled plaque, however.

That sure looks like a dead ringer for it! 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for all the help identifying these relatively obscure parts. It turns out that I also have the intake manifold as seen on the Wiki page. I found these at Hershey a few years ago (they jumped off of the table and followed me home). I had given up on trying to ID them, until I found this forum. Thanks so much. Loco 90

• Like 3

On 3/26/2022 at 11:58 AM, Grimy said:

I worked on a 1917 Paige years ago. Had to be where I saw it. Old Timers Disease. Been there, Done that. Can't Remember??? 😵 

• Haha 1