1963 Ford Country Sedan --- Open the Tailgate Question

Just bought a "new" Ford station wagon.  Am trying to figure out how to open the tail gate.  I do not have a key for the doors/tailgate ( I assume they are the same) but should you not be able to open from the inside?  There is a latch there but can't make anything happen.

PS  This was a one owner wagon that was stored under a tarp in his garage since 1992

The window needs to be rolled down to open the tail gate.  There is no outside latch, you roll the window down, reach in and open the tail gate from the inside latch.  If you have the electric rear window, I think that key is the same as the glove box not the door.  The glove box lock is easy to pull and take to a locksmith to have a key made.  Same if you have a manual crank rear window.

• Like 1

The rear window is electric and its trying to do something back there but it hasn't been used in 30 years!  Not sure what to do next.  I did find I had the key.  Took me awhile to figure out window needed to go down first.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you can hear the window trying to open then because the car sat for 30 years the glass might have "glued" itself to the weather strip. I would run a thin putty knife around the edge of the glass on both sides and see if it works itself loose.